The Official World Cup Thread

RiG

Group A

I can't really see past Germany and Poland for this one. Costa Rica and Ecuador might run them close in the games but I think that the European sides should see them off.

Germany

Poland

Ecuador

Costa Rica

Group B

England and Sweden from this group but not sure who will win it though. I expect both of them to win their first two games and it will come down to the final round on the 20th of June to see who wins the group. I think it will be settled on goal difference and England will just get through in 1st place.

England

Sweden

Paraguay

T & T

Group C

Obvious favourites to progress here would be Argentina and Holland but I wonder if Serbia & Montanegro will cause a wee upset and sneak through instead of one of them, perhaps Holland. Don't expect Ivory Coast to cause many problems.

Argentina

Holland

Serbia & Montanegro

Ivory Coast

Group D

Portugal and Mexico to get through this one for me though Iran might suprise a few with some decent performances. Angola are rubbish. Simple as.

Portugal

Mexico

Iran

Angola

Group E

I would expect the Czechs and Italy to win through in this one with USA finishing 3rd and Ghana in last.

Czech Rep.

Italy

USA

Ghana

Group F

Think this one is quite tricky to rpedict. Brazil are clear favourites to progress and I would expect them to do so. But it's the battle for 2nd that will be very interesting indeed. I would say it is between Japan and Australia myself and I think that Japan will just pip them to it. Croatia will also have a say in it as well and could get close themselves but I don't think they will have quite enough. I think this will be the most interesting group.

Brazil

Japan

Australia

Croatia

Group G

France to win this one and South Korea and Switzerland to do battle for 2nd spot. Really not sure who would win through in that one to be honest. Right now I shall take a stab at South Korea!

France

South Korea

Switzerland

Togo

Group H

Spain and Ukraine in this final group for me. Spain really should do so much better than they actually do do at these tournaments but they seem to excel in failure. Hopefully Torres will live up to the hype that surrounds his obvious talent and show us why Chelsea want to pay £40 million for him.

Spain

Ukraine

Saudi Arabia

Tunisia

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this really handy to predict the world cup *clicky*

Personally I can't really see past Brazil winning it but if they come up against a big physical team they may get frustrated when they are unable to play like they can an throw it away. I can see Serbia and Montenegro being a suprise package but they have an incredibly tough group, I can see Czech doing well they are after all no. 2 in the world rankings, Ukraine will reach quarters but lose to Brazil and Mexico are another that i can see doing well. According to my predictions it'll be a Czech v Brazil final with Brazil emerging victorous and Holland in third but I'm also getting this horrible feeling that England are going to do really well but please God send them home in the first round.

Some banterful games the night. Germany v Costa Rica was a cracker. The opening goal was a beaut and Frings one at the end - woooof! The German defence was bloody awful though!

I have seriously underestimated Ecuador. They looked a lot more solid outfit than I thought they were and they deserved their win over a lacklustre Polish outfit.

If England get through their group I don't think they would have any fears about playing any of the teams from Group A.

Three games tomorrow and I can't wait!  ;D

England 1 - 0 Paraguay

England will need to buck up their ideas if they want to go far in this tournament. Paraguay looked decent and England were far too defensive at times. They have no other attacking options available to them and it is evident just how important Rooney is to them. If they haven't got him they can only get more defensive and this will not stand up against the bigger teams.

As for Paraguay they looked a lot better than I thought they would be. That number 13 is a bit of a poof though!  :D

Sweden should have won that. Forced some great saves from Hislop but they just lacked that final killer blow.

I am off to ASDA for more booze now as I get set for the final installment of the trilogy!  ;D

Well that's England through their p1sh easy group as expected, and I believe they are likely to meet Ecuador in the last 16, Andorra in the QF, and then Liechtenstein in the semis. The national heroes will be presented with their knighthoods the day before the final as the whole of the UK revels in glory and salutes the world's greatest team since 1966.

Until they get to the final......and face Northern Ireland!    :D

Ivory Coast were good the night and I have had a banterful day full of drink, good company ( ;)) and plenty of football. Brilliant! More of the same tomorrow and all!  ;D

Well my prediction of the IC not causing too much trouble was well off so treat the following with care!

S & M v Holland

I think that S & M will give Holland a good game today and possibly even sneak a win but I think a 1 - 1 draw will be the outcome.

Mexico v Iran

Not the most glamorous looking tie but this could be a close one and again I will plump for a draw here.

Angola v Portugal

Gotta go with the Portugese here. Think they might break out from their defensive 4 - 5 - 1 formation to go for victory here. Shall say 2 - 0 Portugal.

Have to say the ref in the England game yesterday was disgraceful, in both halves to both teams >:(.
Yeah - sure he wont be getting any Christmas cards from Crouch !!! Also thought the ref in the Sweden / T&T game wasnt very good. They have obviously been told to crack down on a long list of minor infractions but it appears that play-acting and diving are not on the list.

Have to say the ref in the England game yesterday was disgraceful, in both halves to both teams >:(.
Yeah - sure he wont be getting any Christmas cards from Crouch !!! Also thought the ref in the Sweden / T&T game wasnt very good. They have obviously been told to crack down on a long list of minor infractions but it appears that play-acting and diving are not on the list.

I noticed that as well. They are bringing out the yellow cards for little sily tackles but still nothing is being done about the old simulation >:(. Although i thought it was class yesterday when Hislop Was taking ages to take a goal kick by time wasting. All the sweden fans booing him, so the ref decides to run 3/4's of the way down the pitch to tell him to hurry up and run back again wasting another minute or so. ;D

Player of the tournament so far.... Arjen Robben!!  He was on fire today, I've not seen a performance like that in the world cup since a curly haired number 10 used to play for Argentina  :o :o

Apart from the centre halfs, Holland look like genuine contenders if they can get out the group of death!!

Talking of curly haired Argentinians .... anyone got a clip of both goals he scored against England ? .... The missus doesnt believe me about the 'hand of god' goal and is even more sceptical when I tell her he made up for it with one of the best ever solo goals of all time.

Southgate has just said the most biased thing ever on the TV just now. He claims that there was a foul on Schwarzer for the Japanese goal but also admitted that Moore pushed the Japanese guy into the Aussie goalie - so how does that make it a foul Gareth?  ???