The Official World Cup Thread

RiG

I thought Lennon and Terry were England's best players and Gerrard's goal was good but apart from that they all had feet of clay. They've been lucky in their two games and Ecuador or Germany will beat them if they carry on in a similar vein. In fact I think Sweden have a good chance of beating them even though they're having trouble finding the net too.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argentina played as good a 90 minutes of football as I can ever remember. They were absolutely brilliant. Riquelme was something else, and as for that second goal......even better than Albertas I reckon.

By a million miles the best team in the tournament, glad I got £20 on them at 8/1 :001:

Are they scheduled to play England along the way?? Hope so, how good would it be to se Argentina gub 'em :015: :015: :015:

Argentina played as good a 90 minutes of football as I can ever remember. They were absolutely brilliant. Riquelme was something else, and as for that second goal......even better than Albertas I reckon.

By a million miles the best team in the tournament, glad I got £20 on them at 8/1 :001:

Are they scheduled to play England along the way?? Hope so, how good would it be to se Argentina gub 'em :015: :015: :015:

If England finish second and Argentina win or vice versa they'll play each other in the quarter finals if England make it that far and if they both win their groups as well as Brazil England could face Brazil in the quarters :021:.

Koller's just a big lump of a guy they can hump the ball up to, remember we had one of those too? Koller actually manages not to miss an open goal though. I think his loss, just like with us, will force the Cxechs into playing a more passing game, and they're not exactly short of players who can stick the ball in the net. If Baros is fit I cant see it making too much difference jnr.

:015: :015: :015: :015:

Go on Ghana!!

I know Harry I'm gutted! Looks like ITN Jnr might have been right (for once)  :001:

Ghana were by far the best team on the day, the USA - Italy match leaves the group wide open still.  I'm exhausted after that day of mental football!

Yesterday saw  the worst refereeing performance of the WC IMO so far. The guy in charge of CR v Ghana was rubbish - his sending off of the CR guy at the penalty, while correct, only came about after the Ghanaians started complaining to him about sending him off waving their imaginary cards. He then blows his whistle, calls the guy over and sends him off. As the whistle is blown, the Ghana guy taking the penalty thinks it is for him to shoot and scores but then gets booked for kicking the ball away!? What a plum!

italy v usa game was superb yesterday,my only grumble of the who world cup is the commentary i cant stand david pleat he,s so annoying

Plus he does actually know nothing about football!

MUPPET OF THE YEAR AWARD ..... drum roll please ............... goes to ................

Ian Wright ..... da dah !!!!

Shrieking like a girl after the France / South Korea game. Desailly sitting beside him obviously upset and yet that arse can't help but laugh and rub it in.

Think back to the N. Ireland / England qualifier when all he could do was throw the rattle out of the pram and sulk like a 2 year old. (sorry to any 2 year olds - no offence intended).

What does this man offer to a match analysis? Nothing. Absolute joke. I'd rather listen to Jimmy Hill than Ian "down wiv it man" Wright !

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!! 

Ian Wright is a ***!

Best team that round by miles was Argentina, runners up Spain (for a half) and honorary mention to Ghana for their epic ICT-v-Celtic-cuptie- esque performance and South Korea for finally getting what they deserved.  :003: :003: :003:

England were bloody awful last night and Sweden thoroughly deserved their draw. Erikkson is really looking to go out with a bang at this WC. Scrape past Paraguay and T & T and then get dominate din the final 45 against Sweden.

Why is this utter plum saught after by clubs?

Had to laugh last night - I turned on talk radio to listen to the game and they were interviewing a Swedish woman.  She was asked why she thought Sweden would win the game.  The reply makes me embarassed to be female.

"Our players are better looking"  :015: :015: :015:  Clearly that helped.

The other part that cracked me up was one of the commentary team getting over excited and he said.  'Oh there is just something about England playing in Red' - He went on to say that he had worn his red top the day before and only wished he was as good at playing football as they are.  What a tube.

So between good looking Swedish guys and the England team in Red it must have been some game.  :sleep01: :sleep01: :sleep01:

My favourite totally stupid commentator moment from the England game was

"And the only striker England have left on the bench is Theo Walcott. He's got a provisional driving license."  :015: :015: :015:

The Swedish lassie was right btw, their players are much better looking  :001:

My favourite was one of the two following ones

"Joe Cole scores the 1999th, the next will be the 2000th. Swedes need not apply"

later followed by

"We've waited a long time to be beat Swede.....oh its Larsson! 2 - 2!"

Aside from some daft defending in the first half England were never really in any danger. Great free kick from Beckham. Carrick played well as did Hargreaves ( :017:) and I thought that Rooney was good as well. Below par but they did what they had to do.