The Official World Cup Thread

RiG

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:010:crikey, didn't know Martin Bavidge is Croatian..............anyway, he is having a decent game so far :003:

I'd prefer to have Kaka.... what a goal :010: :010: :010: :010:

For a first game with so much pressure on their team they phave played some amazing football

I'll be very surprised if they don't win the tournament

I didn't think Brazil were that good. Croatia had them scrambling at times and made them work very hard for that win. Brazil will need to shape up if they want to win. get Juninho on for Ze Roberto for starters!

.... and Robinhio on for Ronaldo!!

They were a bit quieter 2nd half but there was no chance Croatia were going to score... them, Argentina, Czech and Holland best so far IMO

.... I would have England and France as possible contenders due to the players in their squada but both managers don't seem to have a clue

France were garbage yesterday! Hnery and Wiltord did the sum of sod all up front, Zidane looked well off colour and I can't see why they have both Viera and Makelele playing the exact same role in the same team.

They were clueless.

France were garbage yesterday! Hnery and Wiltord did the sum of sod all up front, Zidane looked well off colour and I can't see why they have both Viera and Makelele playing the exact same role in the same team.

They were clueless.

The players obviously have talent as they show when they play club football but the formation was terrible.... having a target man who can't head a football???

The only reason this has worked for Arsenal is because players like Ljundberg, Reyes and Pires run past him to give options

Ribery and Wiltord were gash

----------------------Coupet------------------------

Sagnol-------Thuram-------Gallas---------Abidal

----------------------Makelele-----------------------

---------------Zidane------Diarra-------------------

Saha--------------Trezeguet---------------Henry

IMO that team could challenge for the cup

Is it just me or are these youngsters in the World Cup hitting the ball harder than ever.  So far most of the goals have come from longish range and have been pretty spectacular.  Just watching some games and think to yourself, would Russell Duncan or Denzil or Bazza or Rossco have hit the ball so hard.  I don't know what these guys over there are eating, but it certainly does not seem to be doing them any harm..................more power to the legs.

Brazil played most of the game with 8 outfield players and looked to be playing at about 70% (well Ronaldo and Adriano did f all)

It was only when Robinho came on that there was any decent movement

up front

If they can beat what is a good Croatia side playing like that they must be in with a good shout to win. nopoint in being at your peak in the early rounds. How many times have we seen Italy and Germany squeeze into the second round playing gash and then reach the final/semi

The players obviously have talent as they show when they play club football but the formation was terrible.... having a target man who can't head a football???

I was amazed that Trezeguet wasn't brought on and that when France did make a change it was Ribery who came off. He wasn't great but he had some decent breaks down the right at times. Wiltord was a disgrace as you point out.

Apparently expectations are low in France which is a good thing. For the next game I would definitely get Wiltord out of there and stick Trezeguet in but I would actually keep Ribery in. I guess in a way they could play a 4 - 2 - 2 - 2 system with Viera and Makelele holding, Ribery and Zidane given licence to roam and Henry and Trezeguet up front.

Koller's just a big lump of a guy they can hump the ball up to, remember we had one of those too? Koller actually manages not to miss an open goal though. I think his loss, just like with us, will force the Cxechs into playing a more passing game, and they're not exactly short of players who can stick the ball in the net. If Baros is fit I cant see it making too much difference jnr.

England are seriously pap. If that is them at their best and they struggle against T & T then I would fear for them against a rampant Spain or Brazil. SGE better sort his lot out if they want to win this.

However, well done England for thoroughly spanking Trinidad & Tobago, (two places at once), and firmly showing them who's boss. :003:that's put them in their place.

Anyone for Valdes of Paraguay, seems a decent player, we will have to cast our votes sometime for the team of the World Cup, anyone make up a schedule for that??

England have been shocking in 2 games. No excuses about heat against T&T. Devoid of any great ideas and strikers look poor. It would take Rooney a couple of games to get fully match fit and will they still be in by then? A decent team will punish them.

Ecuador? Looked ok - decent enough side.

Germany? Always solid and have actually played quite well.

England World beaters? Me think not !

SGE should in 2002 he just doesn't have the passion. I'm not sure SM has either. You simply can't have Gerrard and Lampard in the same midfield without a holding player, Carrick. They both want to play the AMC role and both find it arkward to hold. It was clear yesterday that Lennon shouldn't be on the bench and although this really hurts me to say it Micheal Owen isn't at his best :019:. We would miss Beckhams set pieces but i really think that to pick the best team you don't have to pick the best players and i'd have Lennon over him any day. Peter Crouch showed that he keeps plugging away yesterday and he should stay has he would give Rooney that other option. John Terry is one of the best CD in the world just now and yesterday showed that with 3 saving tackles. If i was pushed my starting 11 would be:

---------------Robinson---------------

---------Carragher-Terry-Rio--------

-----------------Carrick----------------

--Lennon-Gerrard-Lampard-Cole-

----------Crouch---Rooney-----------