Memory head on!

latviaman

Does anyone remember the Old Bridge street? The Gellions bar , across the road was an excellent cafe run by Mrs Bernadi wife of Mario who had a Shop/ cafe and fruit shop, in Eastgate.

I think there was a Newspaper office near the Gellions or was it in the Gellions? as they always seemed to be there! Does anyone remember or has my demensure set in???

I think there was a Newspaper office near the Gellions or was it in the Gellions? as they always seemed to be there!

:lol::rotflmao: :thumb04: :018: ;)

"....or was it in the Gellions?" What a wonderful and accurate reflection of the journalistic profession!

You are probably talking about The Courier which was on Bank Lane, just round the corner from the Gellions, but in effect the Gellions was probably a meeting place at the time for most of the journalists in the town. That shifted to The Phoenix (interestingly in the era when the P and J were along the road in Ballantyne House) but the journalists' pub nowadays tends to be Number 27 in Castle Street.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I think there was a Newspaper office near the Gellions or was it in the Gellions? as they always seemed to be there!

:rotflmao: :thumb04: :018: ;) :lol:

"....or was it in the Gellions?" What a wonderful and accurate reflection of the journalistic profession!

You are probably talking about The Courier which was on Bank Lane, just round the corner from the Gellions, but in effect the Gellions was probably a meeting place at the time for most of the journalists in the town. That shifted to The Phoenix (interestingly in the era when the P and J were along the road in Ballantyne House) but the journalists' pub nowadays tends to be Number 27 in Castle Street.

If you walked out of the Gellions turning left, walked a few paces ( straight) , you came upstairs again on the left, where you met Jim Lawson and Iann Jolly (and a girl called Sally who sang in a band) who worked for the Daily Record, an Englishman called Brian was there , freelance photographer,and he and Iann covered the football on a Saturday after decamping from the Gellions. Iann and Brian taught me photography then, and, when they were off the wall, the wee one, me took photos. the Record moved to the Raining stairs on the right where they employed a nutter called Bill , who talked so fast, alleged reporter?

I became a photographer/ film cameraman, after my degree course, after being inspired by them, cause I thought it was a good life. Cause,

Go to work, then Gellions cash your cheque with Niven, meet the wife out side pay her and carry on drinking as it is only Friday

So these are my memories of where and when my life was decided, by two photogs, who gave me inspiration,

My question as a person who is au fait with Journo in invss are they still alive???//

a nutter called Bill , who talked so fast, alleged reporter?

My question as a person who is au fait with Journo in invss are they still alive???//

You would be talking about Bill Mowatt, former Highland Regional Councillor for Caithness who worked for the Record before setting up his own agency. One of the first radio interviews I ever did was about a sports facility in Caithness and I wanted a 90 second clip from Councillor Bill. 15 minutes later..... :rotflmao:

Bill, along with Ian Jolly and Jim Lawson are still around but I think they may have retired now. Ian's son Peter has now taken over the freelance photography mantle. (It is alleged that Peter no longer attends the Highland Press Ball after an incident involving sitting on the Chief Constable's lap. :thumb04: )

The other side of Bridge Street was never the easiest place to have a business due to the unwillingness of shoppers to cross the street ! I recall the Cydesdale electrical, Liptons, R.S. McColls, a carpet store, Marley tiles being there. Upper Bridge Sreet had the Lipton's cafe, A4 Print and an office of Olivetti.

The other side of Bridge Street was never the easiest place to have a business due to the unwillingness of shoppers to cross the street ! I recall the Cydesdale electrical, Liptons, R.S. McColls, a carpet store, Marley tiles being there. Upper Bridge Sreet had the Lipton's cafe, A4 Print and an office of Olivetti.

Was there not also a mens clothes shop up there at one stage

a nutter called Bill , who talked so fast, alleged reporter?

You would be talking about Bill Mowatt, former Highland Regional Councillor for Caithness who worked for the Record before setting up his own agency. One of the first radio interviews I ever did was about a sports facility in Caithness and I wanted a 90 second clip from Councillor Bill. 15 minutes later..... :rotflmao:

Bill, along with Ian Jolly and Jim Lawson are still around but I think they may have retired now. Ian's son Peter has now taken over the freelance photography mantle. (It is alleged that Peter no longer attends the Highland Press Ball after an incident involving sitting on the Chief Constable's lap. :thumb04: )

Charles

That seems to be the same icon of the press (Mowatt) as I referred to, he talked at a great speed of knots, but my gosh he wrote a good story. I can imagine if the young Jolly followed in his Fathers footsteps , he might have a hard act to follow. Have you got any recollections of a P@J reporter called Nigel ? in Jim Cruickshanks time , he went Ssouth but got edited out from the Mirror. Demensure now getting better