Brewster out campaign

DALNEIGHCALEY

Devils advocate.

A section of the support who like nothing more than a whinge and a moan, spitting the dummy because they think they know how to run a football club, real supporters support through thick and thin, not expecting the moon on a stick. Its a fashion these days calling for the managers head, and these guys are just following the media like lambs. The board cant act on the whims of supporters else the club would be in chaos. There are successful businesmen at the helm who have seen it all and more. Let them bicker away, never happy, theres no pleasing some people.

(N.B. I do not subscribe to this view but know that some, somewhere, may well do. The above opinion is not a quote, just an example)

Edited by Kirishima

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Response to the Devils Advocate............

"A section of the support who like nothing more than a whinge and a moan,"

Possibly an accusation which could have been thrown at those who took the stance that they would not support Brewster from the moment he returned, but I don't believe that was the case for the majority of people who accepted that he'd been appointed (some reluctantly) and got on with supporting the team. You might even be able to point the finger at those who were quick to complain after the first couple of losses, but as it it at this moment in time, even those who have been accused of an attitude of thinking "the club can do no wrong" are now calling for change.

"spitting the dummy because they think they know how to run a football club, real supporters support through thick and thin, not expecting the moon on a stick"

Dismissing someone's view/stance on this basis is simply a cop out and I would counter it with....Why would they bother if they weren't "real" supporters? Would I be any less Scottish if I disagreed with the policies and actions of the Scottish Parliament?

"Its a fashion these days calling for the managers head, and these guys are just following the media like lambs"

Large sections of the ICT support have been calling for changes for a long time now and I don't think the media, in this instance, could be accused of leading anything...quite the opposite in many cases.

"The board cant act on the whims of supporters else the club would be in chaos."

I agree, but I don't subscribe to the fact that the large majority of ICT fans are being in any way whimsical in their calls for a change of manager. We've been through poor spells before and although none as bad as this, this is the first time there's been widespread calls for a change in management. So it's not a claim which could be backed by any previous instance. I would say that, as fans, we've probably been guilty of "blind faith" in a lot of things we've allowed happen, and supported, since the club came into existance.

"There are successful businesmen at the helm who have seen it all and more."

Something which makes the current actions (or inactions) of the ICT Board even more bizarre.

"Let them bicker away, never happy, theres no pleasing some people."

Such is their perogative, but a time may come when they are forced to listen to the arguments. I just hope they are prepared for the consequences that come with leaving it so late to take positive action to try and rectify the situation.

Interesting Scottish parliament analogy. I think that herein lies the problem. I do think that it is a case of the board trying to show who is boss. It is easier for them however to lambast the fans who criticise rather than accept, or even try to understand, their concerns. Other clubs would appeal to the fans but it seems at ICT it is a case of "how dare you complain."

There are many accusations flying around but I dare anyone to challenge the idea that the board of ICT are unable to accept criticism. You only need to look at the Courier and David Sutherlands attack on the Trust chairman. A worrying fact for the future.

Fair point Scotty but I would counter your tale with my own experiences:

Prior to my moving overseas at the start of the 1999-2000 season myself and my mate attended the majority of games both home and away throughout the division two and three years whilst we were both based in Aberdeen. In my absence my mate carried on clocking up thousands of miles following the club before moving back to Inverness a couple of years back. I think it would be fair to say that only a very small number of people have attended more games or made more of a committment to the ICT cause than he. It made it all the sadder when I spoke to him on Saturday evening when he confirmed that he'd given away his season ticket for the Rangers game as he's simply lost the will to watch the dross being churned out under Brewster. The person in question is not a shareholder nor does he feel the need to come on here and voice his opinions ad nauseam so his point of view goes largely unheard. However, if the club feels it can afford to ignore people like my mate who have invested hugely in this club over the years then we really are in dire straits.

ymip - Thank you for your kind words amigo.

You are spot on that there are many committed fans (like me) who simply cannot tolerate the substandard fare on offer week after week and for whatever reasons do not have the time / inclination / resource to make known their feelings on a regular basis.

I deliberated long and hard about not making the neglible journey to watch the Rangers game, especially as we had travelled some substantial distances for our beloved team in the years gone by. My over-riding belief however was that I could not be true to myself on a point of principle. There is currently a serious lack of direction at the club, and it would seem that there is also a serious inability to recognise the severity of our current predicament by those who can change it. Are the board (ok David Sutherland) too close to the trees to be able to see the wood? I didn't have him down as the type who liked to lose in business (or football) but maybe I over estimated him.

As I work in London during the week, I will not be able to attend tomorrow night's meeting, but I sincerely hope that views such as mine (the 'quiet' minority) are voiced. For once I would have 'signed up' to the Trust and not been content to suffer in silence.

On a more upbeat note, I do intend to go to Saturday's Harry Wraggs match and even put in a rare away appearance at New Douglas Park the following week. Whether that's only to re-establish my proud record of having visited every SFL and SPL ground with Caley, or get ready to voice my opinion in no uncertain terms, I'm not quite sure.

PS ymip - I still miss the craic we used to have traversing the land with you back in the good old days.

I am in the Main Stand a few rows behind and slightly to the left of our dugout and (moved cause a load rangers fans had decided to take my seat and would not move) and i shouted Brewster Out the whole game but when your the only one in between a load of Rangers fans it makes little difference

Few people will willing to entertain this propopsed anti-Brew/pro-ICT chants-call them what you will- due to the fact they were appeased by a decent showin gin the first half and were only beaten by a world-class strike for about an hour until Rangers predictably began to outclass us so fans were generally a bit more sympathetic as at least we looked like we turned up and cared.