Wheeltappers' and Shunters' Social Club.

Charles Bannerman

Remember that little TV gem from the 60s and 70s? I was reminded of it last night when I switched on BBC2 hoping to see Dad's Army, but instead discovered a couple of tattooed, bling festooned "fatlads" playing darts, watched by what I can only describe as a Convention of Sunreaders.

It was bad enough when the less obese of the contenders kept missing, putting the game into extra time so Dad's Army had to be cancelled. But it got worse (OK, I admit that I kept watching because it was so cringeworthily tacky!). When it eventually finished, the fatter guy (who seemed to finish second) got ?30,000. Then his slightly less gravitationally challenged opponent got NINETY FIVE GRAND!

And I thought Colin Montgomerie was the only overpaid fatty in "sport"!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

<<Convention of Sunreaders>> :rotflmao:

Come now Charlie, that will be the world darts championship final.

Did Norman Collyer not do his broken microphone act during this

The only Norman Collyer I remember was that tailor's on the High Street (but was that Norman??)... oh no... it was "John Collier, John Collier, the window to watch", wasn'it it? Maybe I'm confusing him with Norman Cordiner? Sorry TMFTJ, not sure who Norman Collyer is but if he does a "broken microphone" act is he maybe the guy who does the "WUN HOONDRED AND AYYYYTTTAAAYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I actually found the "Convention of Sunreaders" one of the most amusing parts of the whole thing. Gatherings like that explain many things from how the Tories pulled it off in the 1992 general election right through to the mass hysteria and blankets of flowers outside Kensington Palace when Diana died.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Since I described the darts audience as a "Convention of Sunreaders", I've run out of expressions for the lot at Gladiators which I've just been watching! (PS I only watched it because I know the girl from Lossiemouth who won.)

You have to admit though, it just isn't the same as it used to be. I'm refering to Gladiators not darts. I think innovations in darts are few and far between. To think British wrestling was pulled off ITV for darts to take its place.

I seem to recall that Grampian TV had its own local "entertainment" show in the 1960s - The Bothy Nichts. Anyone remember that or am I growing older than I thought ?

:rotflmao:

Cringe!!!!!!!! It was DREADFUL. Hosted by an old guy called John Mearns who was something of an Alf Garnett lookalike, it was basically a bunch of folk with Robbie Shepherd accents and dressed up in farming gear singing songs round the fire.

I seem to recall that Grampian TV had its own local "entertainment" show in the 1960s - The Bothy Nichts. Anyone remember that or am I growing older than I thought ?

:rotflmao:

Cringe!!!!!!!! It was DREADFUL. Hosted by an old guy called John Mearns who was something of an Alf Garnett lookalike, it was basically a bunch of folk with Robbie Shepherd accents and dressed up in farming gear singing songs round the fire.

Strewth - sounds like Aberdeen's travelling support.... :thumb04:

:thumb04:

Strewth - sounds like Aberdeen's travelling support.... :rotflmao:

Or a number of my neighbours here in rural Aberdeenshire !

Aye mahloon... aye, aye... 'at's a rare tup ye've got there... aye an' a grand pair o' green wellies ye've got her back legs doon! Noo whar's ma wireless so ah kin get The Reel Blend wi Roabbie Sheppaaard.....

Aye mahloon... aye, aye... 'at's a rare tup ye've got there... aye an' a grand pair o' green wellies ye've got her back legs doon! Noo whar's ma wireless so ah kin get The Reel Blend wi Roabbie Sheppaaard.....

Aye, ye ken it was like Duelling Banjos years before Deliverance like !