Ossie Ardiles

caleyjags

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So obviously 'Ossies Dream' was nothing to do with him winning the FA Cup, it was about him managing Caley one day :rotflmao:

Bizarre....He's gone straight in as my number 1 choice, if only because it means we're bound to see some entertaining football!!

well it p1sses on any fire surrounding the geographical position of this club that a man like him would be interested in coming here, however I hope it wont be him coming here because his record does'nt seem very good and i'd hate to see a decision made just because he is a name and has a past as a player, great players dont nessecarily mean good managers as we have seen with Brewster.

interesting article ..... but like starchief, I would need some convincing that he could do it ...... it would be a huge gamble and would either be a great success or a spectacular failure.

We need a manager not a name. We wouldn't be able to afford him anyway. I am not convinced he'd do a good job and his track record isn't brilliant. I don't think it'd be worth the gamble because that is what it would be....a big gamble.

Stolen from Wiki

In July 1989, Osvaldo Ardiles moved into football management with second division Swindon Town when Lou Macari resigned to join West Ham in July 1989. He wowed fans by replacing the long ball style which had been so successful with a new "Samba style", which saw the Town playing attractive attacking football. Part of this change was the new "diamond formation" which Ardiles implemented - a 4-4-2 style with left-sided, right-sided, attacking and defensive midfielders.

Just ten months after he had joined, Ardiles led the Town to their highest ever league position - finishing fourth in the second division. After beating Blackburn in the first leg of the Play-Off semi-final, the fans paid tribute with a tickertape reception in the second leg - recreating the atmosphere of the 1978 World Cup, in which Ardiles had starred. Swindon went on to win promotion to the top flight for the first time in their history - beating Sunderland in the Play-Off Final - only to have the promotion cruelly taken from them ten days later, when the Football League demoted them for irregular payments to players.

The following season, Ardiles was told to sell to keep the club alive - and Wembley hero Alan McLoughlin was the first big-money departure. With Swindon obviously rocked by their pre-season nightmare, their form deserted them, and opposition clubs seemed to come to terms with the Town's style of play. By the end of February, relegation threatened, and when Newcastle offered Ardiles the chance to become their new boss, he accepted. But his time on Tyneside was not a success and he lasted 12 months in the job before being sacked, with the Magpies bottom of the second division - though they achieved safety under his successor Kevin Keegan.

Ardiles was not out of work for long. In June 1992 he replaced Bobby Gould as manager of West Bromwich Albion, who had just missed out on the third division playoffs in 1991?92. At the end of the 1992?93 season, Ardiles guided Albion to victory over Port Vale in the Division Two playoff final. Shortly afterwards he walked out of the Hawthorns to return his former club Tottenham as manager, but his management spell was nowhere near as successful as his spell as a player. Tottenham finished 15th in the Premiership and despite the expensive acquisition of J?rgen Klinsmann, Ilie Dumitrescu and Gheorghe Popescu in the 1994 close season, Ardiles was sacked in October 1994 with Tottenham battling relegation. They had just been punished for financial irregularities committed during the late 1980s: with a 1-year FA Cup ban, ?600,000 fine and 12 league points deducted. The punishment was later amended to a ?1.5million fine and six points deducted but the FA Cup ban and points deduction were later quashed.

Ardiles became coach of Japanese side Yokohama F. Marinos in January 2000, but was sacked in June 2001 following a poor start to the season.[3] From 2003 to 2005 he coached Tokyo Verdy 1969, with whom he won the 2004 Emperor's Cup. But in July 2005 he was fired due to the poor performance of the team, who finished second bottom in the league.[4] In mid-2006 he moved to Israel to coach Beitar Jerusalem FC, from which he was fired October 18, 2006. After a small break he was appointed Club Atl?tico Hurac?n manager in his native Argentina in September 2007, he steered the club to 7th in the table before resigning at the end of the Apertura 2007.

He joined Paraguayan club Cerro Porte?o in May 2008 [5] but was sacked in August the same year after a string of poor results

Doesn't inspire me to yearn for him.

We need a manager not a name. We wouldn't be able to afford him anyway. I am not convinced he'd do a good job and his track record isn't brilliant. I don't think it'd be worth the gamble because that is what it would be....a big gamble.

Totally agree...

File under Warnock in the pie in the sky stakes. These guys use these vacancies as opportunities to get their names in the press with a view to getting back on the managerial merry-go-round at somewhere more suitable. Not a snowballs chance in hell of him even making it as far as Dalcross.