Ossie Ardiles

caleyjags

There was quite a lot of speculation on this thread that Ossie was not really interested in our job. Today I spoke with my friend Steve Perryman, who was a colleague of Ossie's at Spurs, and indeed worked with him as assistant manager on a couple of occasions. I can tell you that Ossie was extremely serious about the job. So much so that he had already lined up and had agreement from his prospective number 2. I won't say who this is as he is currently working and under contract at a club.

Thought I'd just let you know the facts. I wasn't advocating Ossie for the job, and I'm happy with Butcher's appointment from those who were on the shortlist

I take it that it was Ricky Villa then.

A disaster I would imagine..

I'm not so sure, I think folk were a bit quick to knock off poor wee Ossie. His style could've been beneficial to ICT, especially when t come to keeping the ball on the deck.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure, I think folk were a bit quick to knock off poor wee Ossie. His style could've been beneficial to ICT, especially when t come to keeping the ball on the deck.

What kind of style does Ossie play anyone know? I was only 3 years old when he was in england at Spurs

He just applied for the Aberdeen job and immediately got told to **** off, i think that its not very nice he does play attractive passing football but he got sacked often because teams took too long to adjust to decent football so obviously caley would have been relegated taking to long to adjust, if Butcher goes to Motherwell after Mcghee goes to Aberdeen i wouldnt mind seeing him at the club for not a quick return but to get Caley playing football again

What kind of style does Ossie play anyone know? I was only 3 years old when he was in england at Spurs

Apparently his big on the diamond shaped/polo formation, which I think is roughly 1-6-3, with most of the players on the wings. He went with 5 up front for Spurs a few times as well.

Apparently his big on the diamond shaped/polo formation, which I think is roughly 1-6-3, with most of the players on the wings. He went with 5 up front for Spurs a few times as well.

5 up front B) Did that ever work out for him :lol:

• 3 months later...

The argentine Pele in terms of managing, just not as successful. :crazy07:

Not sure about that, Ossie did have some success with Swindon getting them promoted to the old Division One and he won the J League.

I see that Ossie has now said that he's interested in taking the Argentina job, should Maradona get the sack!

The argentine Pele in terms of managing, just not as successful. :crazy07:

I see that Ossie has now said that he's interested in taking the Argentina job, should Maradona get the sack!

Really?

That man has some mixed up ambitions, Inverness one minute Argentina the next.

The same could be said for Robbo. But seriously looking back now I'm not sure Ossie was as bad as some made out. I know he's been sacked a few times (like Butcher), but he has had some success (unlike Butcher). He would certainly play some great football, and that in the long term sells season tickets.

I know he's been sacked a few times (like Butcher), but he has had some success (unlike Butcher).

While it is true to say that Butcher didnt exactly set the heather on fire in some of his jobs, the only other time he teamed up with Malpas as a double act, they did reasonably well .... taking a bankrupt team that lost the main bulk of its squad, avoiding relegation (albeit on a technicality with Falkirk's stadium), and then came back the next season to finish in the top 6 ...... I would say thats quite succesful.

He would certainly play some great football, and that in the long term sells season tickets.

not if you are in the 2nd or 3rd division because players "take too long to adjust" ... he would be off in a shot when told what his transfer budget in those leagues would be as would half of our season ticket holders !

he has had some success (unlike Butcher).

Thought he did pretty well at Coventry. Kept them safely in the First Division, whilst making a profit. I also thought both Brentford and Sydney were too trigger-happy and had bigger problems than constantly changing manager when instant success wasn't achieved.

What if he'd left at the end of last season? His record would then say simply, got Inverness relegated. But how many believe it was his fault? Sometimes the truth isn't all that simple as just looking at sacking statistics.

avoiding relegation (albeit on a technicality with Falkirk's stadium),

You can hardly give Butcher credit for a technicality.

he has had some success (unlike Butcher).

Thought he did pretty well at Coventry. Kept them safely in the First Division, whilst making a profit. I also thought both Brentford and Sydney were too trigger-happy and had bigger problems than constantly changing manager when instant success wasn't achieved.

With Coventry I recollect reading he was sacked due to a new owner coming and he wanted his own man in, though then you could make the argument, had he been that good he would've kept it.

I don't know much about Brentford but with Sydney (who seem to have a different manager every season), he took a fairly decent passing side into one that punted long balls at every opportunity. But it wasn't just that, he fell out with the media awful quick, and when the going got tough, Butcher insulted their newspapers and coffee. They also took great offence to his "hobo" like appearance on the bench. But the main thing was his style of play and didn't play the regular attacking style that takes place in Australia. Here is an open letter sent to Butcher in the Sydney Morning Herald by former Australian internationalist and now TV pundit, Craig Foster.

Foster's Letter

And here is Butcher's reply:

Butcher's Letter

There used to be a YouTube video of another Australian TV pundit, Les Murray letting rip on his feeling on Butcher after Sydney had done quite well the next season after Butcher went, but that seems to have disappeared.

What if he'd left at the end of last season? His record would then say simply, got Inverness relegated. But how many believe it was his fault? Sometimes the truth isn't all that simple as just looking at sacking statistics.

It wasn' all entirely Butcher's fault for relegation, the main damage was done by Brewster and the Board, but his bizarre team selections, especially in the final game definately played a role.

It wasn' all entirely Butcher's fault for relegation, the main damage was done by Brewster and the Board, but his bizarre team selections, especially in the final game definately played a role.

Exactly, I believe the term tactically inept is becoming a permanent feature on this forum.

Is this straying off topic?

Loved Butcher's reply!

Put that Aussie pundit in his place.

The footballing world is full of people with less ability telling the people in charge how to do their job - if they are so good why are they not in management.

Did Alan Shearer not experience how much easier it was to criticise from a studio than to change things on a park, last season?

But in the end, who turned out to be right?

I actually thought the first letter was fine, but some of Butcher's reply were quite witty, but also quite rude.

With his usage of written English, I think we would notice if he posted on here.

I though it was super, not many managers would have been able to retort in print, in that fashion. I bet other managers would have replied but it would never have been published.

Sorry don't know the politics of that situation to be able to apportion blame.