Job Hunting

RiG

Looks like times are going to get tougher on the job front...

3.2 Million Unemployed

For folks who have transportable skills, teachers, nurses, welders or other blue collar skills, it might be worth considering emigrating, as some countries are doing better than others. If emigration isn't an option then maybe starting a small business if you can find a niche in the market.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking further afield than Aberdeen Alex. Environmental work mainly. I had a very productive meeting with someone from one of the big oil firms here who gave me loads of good advice but the way the world is just now most oil companies are not looking for staff just now. He gave me some other options to try that might lead into a career in environmental oil & gas but we shall see how that goes. One route was through environmental consultants so having a look there.

Right ! a mate of mine from Dundee {of all places} is employed in the same sort of work, {the now}. He couldn't find any work in Scotland but he got himself some well paid contract work in Nigeria, if you'd consider that Rig I could ask Rob if there's any openings where he is. If yer interested Rig drop me a PVT with your CV and I'll ask Rob to see if he can help out.

Right ! a mate of mine from Dundee {of all places} is employed in the same sort of work, {the now}. He couldn't find any work in Scotland but he got himself some well paid contract work in Nigeria, if you'd consider that Rig I could ask Rob if there's any openings where he is. If yer interested Rig drop me a PVT with your CV and I'll ask Rob to see if he can help out.

Hi Bob, just saw this now so apologies for the late response. Might be of interest to me but to be honest I'd rather stay in the UK for the time being. I will play about my the old CV and fire you a copy which maybe you could forward on just to see what does turn up so long as I am not committed to anything :rotflmao:

The job that I have been waiting on for ages has been put on hold due to the recession. Whilst disappointing it was also not unexpected. This is the second job I have gone for that I was "in there" with only for it to be pulled due to the financial mess the world seems to be in. Tough times.

Another two new jobs have sprung up. One in Edinburgh and another in Aberdeen which I would be pretty ticked off if I didn't get at least an interview for giving it is what I spent most of my Masters thesis working on! Time to get scribbling on the application forms!

Hi Bob, just saw this now so apologies for the late response.Nae problem, just home meself from Quiz night, I'da won but for not knowing the plural for fekkin parrots, sigh...

Might be of interest to me

Rob seems to like it, deccent money, good grub, quarterly contracts that roll over if you want to go back, and I'll tell you this, if Rob likes it {he's a home bird} then it must be a cushy number...

but to be honest I'd rather stay in the UK for the time being.

Understood...

I will play about my the old CV and fire you a copy which maybe you could forward on just to see what does turn up so long as I am not committed to anything :thumb04:

No problem, bang it orf to me...

The job that I have been waiting on for ages has been put on hold due to the recession. Whilst disappointing it was also not unexpected. This is the second job I have gone for that I was "in there" with only for it to be pulled due to the financial mess the world seems to be in. Tough times.

Yea, tough times indeed, and it's odds on to get a lot worse before it gets any better...

Another two new jobs have sprung up. One in Edinburgh and another in Aberdeen

Spoilt for choice there if you live in Wigin :rotflmao:

which I would be pretty ticked off if I didn't get at least an interview for giving it is what I spent most of my Masters thesis working on! Time to get scribbling on the application forms!

As some have said on here application forms are a start, but knowing someone {trying desperatley not to say "Networking}, who knows someone is still a better bet.

The only place that springs to mind as a relatively safe place to weather out the storm is Canada, even though Alberta has gorn off the boil a bit since oil dropped lower than $70 a barrel there's still room for folks with Degree's and at good money too...

Edited by Canada Bob

At the moment, I would avoid working in Nigeria. Although not always reported, there are incidents almost daily of people being held at gunpoint, being shot at and being kidnapped. Infact, I think that there is at least 3 brits, and 5 others currently being held for ransom - all through the oil industry. And in the last week there was a report that Nigerian oil kills about 1000 a year.

The rest of West Africa is slightly better, obviously it isn't 100% safe but it is better then Nigeria. Pretty much all the companies I am working with at the moment tend to fly people in through Cameroon to work in Nigeria. That tells you all you need to know.

I did see a few vacancies to do with Enviromental work, but cannot remember where. They were all offshore positions. To be honest, from speaking to a few different Oil Companies, they are all shutting down production on the majority of their platforms - or planning to shut down production when the current leases run out - so it might not be the best time to go into it.

Everyone seems to be struggling at the moment, so all you have to do is sit tight. Remember, it is easier to get a job if you are already in a job.

Guest Muir-Jaggie

I find out next friday if i get the job as apprentice panel beater :rotflmao:

Take it you didnt get the job MJ ?

All he said was for me to come in this week cause the new boss wanted to meet me so hopefully by saturday i will have the job :thumb04:

Or here's an environmental job in Nigeria - a massive $20,000 a month

http://www.minejob.com/job-1233.html

Unfortunately, it's a scam!

Here's a great website for scam baiters. Basically, they follow up those Nigerian lottery winners emails in order to waste their time, get 'trophies' out of them, such as photographs (preferably doing ridiculous things to 'prove' the mailer is genuine), Western Union home-made security forms ("Is a lube job acceptable as an alternative for payment" or a full page of random number "How many number 6s are there? How many 89s are there?" etc, when there's absolutely hundreds!) and even money (there's a great one where a bunch of scammers got swindled out of $50000 for laptops - they offered to pay for shipping - and got a bunch of broken down washing machines etc etc which weighed a ton). There's also sound files where the scammer leaves a telephone number to 'confirm' they are indeed a bank (and in return get phoned up at 2am their time to order pizza, then an hour later to ask why it hasn't arrived...then the next night for a taxi, Happy Easter, prostitutes etc etc).

http://www.419eater.com/

Edited by starchief

Don't know if this any use to ya RIG ...............an envoirenmental job in Dingwall,sure a few folk will have comments to make on that!!

SEPA job in Dingwall

Aye seen that one last night before the football Bob. I don't know if I am going to find time to write all these application forms! Will be giving that a shot and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Interview was fine but I never got the job. Not overly disappointed. I did give a babbling answer to the first question they asked me but I quickly settled into it. It was surprisingly "informal" at times. Not sure I would have taken it in all honesty due to the location but they praised me a fair bit which made me feel good about my skills and style of application. I was also told that I was (obviously) one of those selected for interview from those that applied and when I was told how many applied I felt pretty chuffed to have gotten an interview.

Another two forms have gone off for other jobs mentioned earlier in the thread. Both forms were quite tought to fill in as they had extra questions / sections that took a fair bit of time to get something written up for.

Next up is a Project Officer job with the Scottish Wildlife Trust. Due in on Monday I've got most of the weekend to get it done so plenty of time to email it in. After that there are a few posts with SNH that I might look into as well. Plenty of options at the minute and just keeping going with the application process really.

Id love to apply to SEPA for that hydrologist job in dingwall, but its permanent and they said unless i could fill the post on that basis, there was no point in applying. I have a job surveying at weekends (which pays more than a 9-5 whole week job in a design office in glasgow), so i wont be stuck...I need a placement between honours and masters year on they will defer my graduation untill i get that said experience.

Plenty folk stayin onto masters havnt got a placement yet - the uni will have to make allowances i think!

Would be workin along side RIG if i got the SEPA job...scary thought :rotflmao:

Search for Ends Jobs and Ends Directory if you haven't already.

It's not quite the same now with plenty of consultancies having recruitment freezes but many consultancies will take on good people, even if there are no jobs advertised.

Had a job interview last monday and went really well. The guy said he would phone me but never, so i phoned him the day and i start on thrusday :rotflmao: :thumb04: :018:

All the best to the guys & girls out there looking for jobs right now ;)

Had a job interview last monday and went really well. The guy said he would phone me but never, so i phoned him the day and i start on thrusday :rotflmao: :thumb04: :018:

All the best to the guys & girls out there looking for jobs right now ;)

Is that the day after wendsday?

Got a contract tree-hugging over the summer in Aberdeenshire. Be over Monday to start. Think I'll notice a difference between Cairo and Stonehaven? I was sunbathing yesterday in 49C sunshine. Probably about the same in Turriff I would imagine.

Got a contract tree-hugging over the summer in Aberdeenshire. Be over Monday to start. Think I'll notice a difference between Cairo and Stonehaven? I was sunbathing yesterday in 49C sunshine. Probably about the same in Turriff I would imagine.

I don't know about sunbathing but bathing is possible as it has pelted rain here in Aberdeen all afternoon.

Sun this morning but still very cold, possibly 40C below you.

Wee bit worried about the tree hugging, is this foreplay before the sheep?

When in Rome....!

What will you be doing? I assume you aren't literally hugging trees! :thumb04:

Still waiting to hear back from these last three jobs. Getting a bit worried although it's only been 2 weeks since one close and just over a week since the other two finished but still...

...feel that these are my best shot at moving on in a long time and there is a lot of hope being place on them :rotflmao: