Job Hunting

RiG

Sent you a private PM about the job. Who knows who is listening. Probably will be some actual tree-hugging at times!

I know you work long hours but I'd say just the odd one-day course here and there (from IEEM Workshops, sac.ac.uk, EnvbironmentJob, RSPB, SWT etc) would really help. Not only do you get the skill, it also shows willing. Go for mammals/protected species as there are a lot fewer them than plants or birds.

It's obviously difficult conditions to get a job in so don't be too downhearted straight away if things don't come off. Even if it takes another year (a little one-day course here and there), it still only takes one application to make it through. After that, it's a lot easier. Couple years experience, everyone wants you.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been a long time since I updated this but sadly no good news to speak of currently. Plenty of jobs applied for, a few interviews, a few recession induced dead ends but I did manage to get a wee bit of experience added to the CV. Every little helps and all that! Another application sent off yesterday for an internal vacancy at work. Will see how that one goes.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an interview coming up for a job I recently applied for. It's an excellent post with a lot of long term potential. If I got it I would be extremely happy and cap quite a turnaround for me personally as I have found 2009 to be quite a tough year from my own point of view. It would certainly be a very welcome boost for me!

It took me 6 weeks from walking in to the Armed Careers office to be standing in the headlights like a rabbit in the head lights at Basic Training, 9 weeks later i was sent for 18 mths to the RAF Collage for Stage two trade training.. I've got about 3/4 years left on my current contract but with my Health Issues just now i maybe a little sooner... so im starting all again, Im thinking I want to be a Gas/Boiler Engineer, if anyone can thow me any advise on it that would be great,

I Served my time as a Mechanic 16-20

Worked in IML for 2 years

Been in RAF for nearly 9 years, working in IT, Networking/Hardware and Software, but its all old stuff, Exchange 5.5, Windows 2000, Svr 2003 and NT, so i dont hold any want or liking to doing IT outside the RAF i fancy doing somthing new again this is where i get my Gas Boiler idea from, Ive had loads of bother with my boiler at home and the Engineer that comes over is a good lad and doesnt mind me asking questions about it, and he likes his job... Im thinking Mature Apprentiship!

It took me 6 weeks from walking in to the Armed Careers office to be standing in the headlights like a rabbit in the head lights at Basic Training, 9 weeks later i was sent for 18 mths to the RAF Collage for Stage two trade training.. I've got about 3/4 years left on my current contract but with my Health Issues just now i maybe a little sooner... so im starting all again, Im thinking I want to be a Gas/Boiler Engineer, if anyone can thow me any advise on it that would be great,

I Served my time as a Mechanic 16-20

Worked in IML for 2 years

Been in RAF for nearly 9 years, working in IT, Networking/Hardware and Software, but its all old stuff, Exchange 5.5, Windows 2000, Svr 2003 and NT, so i dont hold any want or liking to doing IT outside the RAF i fancy doing somthing new again this is where i get my Gas Boiler idea from, Ive had loads of bother with my boiler at home and the Engineer that comes over is a good lad and doesnt mind me asking questions about it, and he likes his job... Im thinking Mature Apprentiship!

My initial advise is to update your current skill sets in IT because in a couple of years time you'll be kicking yourself for walking away from it. You could also go to college and study Quantity Surveying, that course opens up lots of career options and they're all well paid. Site manager in construction industry, surveyor in property markets, clerk of works in local authority, architectural technician, etc., etc.. I believe you can do it at the Elgin Campus too but I'm not 100% sure.

My brother does that dude, he was a panel beater and just got sick of it one day, and went to collage, now hes happyer than a pig in poo, he even gets out of bed himself now adays lol, but im not sure if i'd like that i like working with my hands, but i will pick my brothers brain on that one, towards the end of my time in the RAF i will get a grant for education this is why im looking about for ideas as i dont want to waste the grant.

IT wise i dont have any interest in it anymore dude, when i joined i joined as a Radio man, now its all changed to email i had to change with it lol!! I liked it at first but lost interest. As for updateing my skill set, i have Svr 2003/2008, A+, and pritty much what Scotty said he had too, also Exchange up the ying yang, If i used my Grants to upgrade my skill set, (The ones i said in my previous posts are my hands on stuff) but cert wise i have a lot more. I would be out of date very soon after sitting them so they would still always need upgrading..

I fancy doing somthing new again this is where i get my Gas Boiler idea from, Ive had loads of bother with my boiler at home and the Engineer that comes over is a good lad and doesnt mind me asking questions about it, and he likes his job... Im thinking Mature Apprentiship!

Georgeios,I,m sure there used to be a 4 week re-setllement plumbing and gas fitting techniques course which was supposed to be pretty good as an intro,you can also get yer 4 weeks work experiance with local companies to get some experiance.Don't believe too much of the guff the RAF give you in re-settlement briefs that you will be in demand coz your ex service,it doesn't count for Jacks***.Contacts and experiance are everthing,take any position to get started and knock on doors,good luck.

I know what you mean dude, im not interested in the whole Resettlement guff dude, im more interested in the Training they'll give me.. I know a couple of guy that got there ticket for offshore as part of there resettlement, you advice on the pluming course does really float my boat thats exactly what im after dude.. thanks.

I know what you mean dude, im not interested in the whole Resettlement guff dude, im more interested in the Training they'll give me.. I know a couple of guy that got there ticket for offshore as part of there resettlement, you advice on the pluming course does really float my boat thats exactly what im after dude.. thanks.

Someone learnt a new word .

Someone learnt a new word .

Give him a break, DC....

At least he can spell that word.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

One of the challenges facing persons who want a change or a new job but don't want to emigrate is that they don't want to leave home, or in this case, Scotland, in particular. Comfort and security is admirable as far as it goes but not necessarily the best spur to a dynamic career change.

That's a ball and chain around their foot as far as their future advancement is concerned. Emigration is a leap of faith and no mistake because, generally speaking, there is often no early way back if things do not pan out as well as expected. Being forced to face up to unusual difficulties and new tests , however, is what will change you as a person into someone who then can master most situations that they may encounter in the future, will amaze you in so far as your finding out what talents and gifts that you actually do possess and may pave the way to a very fruitful and fulfilling future. And, by that, I do not necessarily mean in terms of just money.

In addition, when you eventually return to the U.K. for a visit, you suddenly realise how much you have grown and changed inwardly and realise that, for you, there can be no going-back to the old ways. Risk is simply part of the challenge and can be a downer or an upper depending on how you view it. If you take a positive attitude and are excited by the prospect then go for it. Trembling knees simply mean that you are alive and willing to have a go.!

If you want to stay in the U.K. then never give up applying for jobs and improving your education--make enough strikes and one day you will hit a cracker of a ball into the stands.

Personally I recommend emigration. Especially if you have dreams, are ambitious and want to run with your own ideas, are hard working and want to make a contribution to your new country in a social sense. Canada is filled with people like this who are not afraid of hard work, are culturally diverse and are very interesting.

There is an old saying "The river, if taken at the flood, leads on to greatness." B)

:lol:

It will do. I might actually have to work for once! Still, when Sky eventually get round to installing the phone / internet in my new flat I can save my pointless posts for the evenings instead ;)