Rockness

Guest ictdave

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't remember the Chilli Peppers being on Hamish's list, I maybe would've saved the nettles line!

As for how it compares - I got a chance to go and knocked it back, don't like big festivals particularly, and I'm not wishing I was there as I'm watching it on telly.  I think Norman Cook was a good musician with the Housemartins but I wouldn't have paid money to see them live, But I'll be near first in the queue for Rockness tickets next year. Some events you just have to be there! (Don't forget your wipes!!!)

Cook played Bass guitar with the Housemartins... I could probably have done that.... Their music was hardly avant-garde...

So what does he do now apart from nick riffs from other people's recordings and combine them in the cheesiest fashion imagineable?

Don't think I'll be in the queue for Rockness next year... I'd rather lick **** off nettles...  :005:  :005:

I imagine any really good DJ would consider themselves to be artists just as much as musicians, and Fat Boy makes up his own tunes as well as mix other peoples. And theres plenty of stuff way cheesier than FBS, thats just a matter of taste. I think the problem with old people ( :001:) and dance music is that you've missed out on a relevant time period and or substances which can act like a switch so you instantly understand what the crack is with it. Its a very distinct moment of revelation and usually accompanied by some outstanding clever tunes by the likes of Underworld, Chemical Brothers, Hybrid any On-U sounds (for the oldies!!) or Nubreed, theres plenty more.  An event like Rockness, where there's 23000 people all been led the same way through a set of tunes by the DJ who all share the same understanding of dance music is a collective experience you don't get very often, maybe at a really fantastic gig by a brilliant artist but its not the norm by any means. Swamptrash used to be able to do that to an audience on a regular basis but they had some sort of magic going on as well.  I know exactly where you're coming from as I too was ignorant of it all once but once the switch flicked on I understood it all perfectly. As I said, you really had to be there.  :003:

Really :010:

Think I will stick with my live music.

People playing records just does not have the same appeal.

Imagine that, sticking a record on the gramaphone in the living room and people watching you.....amazing.

Aren't most DJ's frustrated musicians who failed to make the grade..??  Plagiarising the work of others - re-working it a bit - and making money out of it,  is certainly in the best traditions of pop music, but to  descibe it as art..?? You cannot be serious.....!! "Substances acting like a switch" is an interesting comment.... Are such substances an essential ingredient for participation in these "moments of revelation" ....??

Pray tell.....

Its not always necessary, no but certainly helps! If it helps you understand better, it must have been a bit like being in the right frame of mind to understand Gong or Can for the first time!  :001: (see, I can do old peoples music too! lol)

Aren't all drummers and bass players failed musicians who didnt make the grade? LOL I bet you think keyboard players aren't proper musicians either.

There are some brilliant musicians who play bass & drums - FBS just wasn't one of them....

Some keyboards more or less play themselves.... so yes - a less than talented musician can hide behind them. (Linda McArtney..?)

Rick Wakeman, keyboard player extaordinaire, is a brilliant musician.....

Banjo players rule...OK...!!  :003: :003:

Banjo's are simple to play, I heard you can even play them leaning on a lampost on the corner of the street whilst watching mee go by.........oh mee..........oh my :017:

Banjo players kick a$$ especially with a bit of drum and bass behind them  :001:

Best ever combination is bagpipes with a rock-hardcore beat, Peatbogs and Mark Saul pull it off beautifully, I will do you a cd Johnboy!

And no matter what your taste, you would have to admit Fat Boy has a talent for pulling a huge crowd, who generally leave the event in a very happy state of mind, thats a talent not many musicians have!  :015:

There's a lot more than 23,000 at T in the Park..... They all seemed to be having a great day, yesterday.. soaking up music from real live musicians....  :011:

Sadly not too many banjo players..... :006:

Just got a text from a friend who's there saying she wishes she hadn't bothered going - bands not up to her expectations, and she's seen most of them before. She wishes she went to Rockness instead! Weird that LOL  :015:

Well i got texts from my cousins and mate who said they were having a good time and enjoying themselves and i have to go next year which i plan to do - work can go stuff themselves if my mate can get off then so can i. Im starting saving from now on lol

Just got a text from a friend who's there saying she wishes she hadn't bothered going - bands not up to her expectations, and she's seen most of them before. She wishes she went to Rockness instead! Weird that LOL  :015:

Is she not a pure dope fiend, Mee......

or maybe just a pure dope...!!!

:015: :015: :015:

I'm wishing I was at T in the Park, I was there last year and it was fecking amazing I'm defo buying tickets on Tuesday for next year. The one thing that looks gash this year though is the segragation of the crowd at the main stage does anyone know what that's all about?

Yeah i notcied that - haven't got a clue why though. My cousins going to buy me my ticket lol. He's there right now  :019: I really wish i was there and i'm sure i'll here all about it lol. But i am goin lol

Erm Johnboy, whats on your avatar again?  :001:

And thanks for the email saying you agree with me in priniciple LMAO  :015: