Butcher is Boss

Renegade

Terry Butcher did a decent job at Motherwell with little or no resources. He took over when Black and Nevin walked and just when they had to make 19 players redundant. The club were basically penniless and although he finished bottom, what manager would have been able to finish anywhere else when the equivalent of a full first team squad had been released. Butcher relied a lot on youth and brought through the likes of McFadden and Pearson, the sale of whom, ironically steadied the financial ship.

According to the Motherwell website: "Butcher?s time at Fir Park is remembered with affection. His first game saw him lead a club under threat of extinction to a 4-1 win at Rugby Park. From there he stayed with the club through difficult times, the first full season under his care, 2002-2003 saw us finish bottom, only Falkirk?s stadium problems saving us from relegation.

Despite the league worries, the team ran Rangers close in the Scottish Cup semi-final. The next two years brought top six finishes, a CIS Cup Final appearance and Celtic?s title hopes scuppered in the last few minutes.

2005-2006 was Butcher?s last year and he led us to another CIS semi final, only a defensive error allowing Celtic to sneak home. At the end of the season Butcher moved to Australia to take over at Sydney FC".

When he left to go to Sydney, John Boyle (and the fans) pleaded with him to stay saying he had worked miracles at the club: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...ticle714755.ece

I don't think we are in anything like the state Motherwell were when he took the reins, and with one of the best youth departments in Scotland (more on that in a forthcoming article/interview with Danny) we are well placed for him to get the best out of the first team squad and bring through our own crop of talented youngsters.

My only worry is his other commitments, but I will not condemn him (or the board) about that until or unless it actually proves to be an issue. As myself and others have said - the two jobs are part-time and would normally only be in focus on days or times when ICT are not playing.

Sheesh. Bee and Brentfordfan clearly do not have any nostalgic notions of Butcher. The reason why Butcher got the job was because of what he did at Motherwell. His Sydney and Brentford days were off the radar for us so in SPL eyes he is a decent boss.

Hopefully, it was just a blip, but im glad Brentford are doing well and thanks for giving us your info on Butcher.

Malpas may have proved to be inadequate as a manager so far ... but he seemed to do alright at Motherwell as an assistant to Butcher.

Crap player ? 55 caps for Scotland ? 617 appearances for United ......

Can i just say....Butcher will get my full backing if, as expected, he is unvieled as manager. I thought he did an excellent job at Motherwell under difficult circumstances.....and recall well playing good football. And at the end of the day...as long as i feel i have been entertained, i will be happy.

Coventry, Sunderland and Sydney fans hate him, they were all over us telling us about his 4-5-1 negative football but we had the old "You're Aussies and what would you know" superiority mentality and that Cov and Sunderland was years ago. You will probably feel the same with League 2 fans on here but he is hated by us which is a shame as he was a damn fine player and probably a decent fella.

Remind us of anyone :rotflmao:

Sounds like we have another Brewster :thumb04:

Guest Brentfordfan

Sheesh. Bee and Brentfordfan clearly do not have any nostalgic notions of Butcher. The reason why Butcher got the job was because of what he did at Motherwell. His Sydney and Brentford days were off the radar for us so in SPL eyes he is a decent boss.

Hopefully, it was just a blip, but im glad Brentford are doing well and thanks for giving us your info on Butcher.

Many thanks and in return I hope he does a job for you, he did us no favours but I won't waste too much time following him about hoping that he fails. Supporting smaller teams is never easy but rewarding and I wouldn't wish any crap on guys like yourselves. We do have a high earner in Simon Brown the ex Hibs keeper who can't get on our bench and was on loan at Darlo for 6 months, Butcher rated him and brought him down. There were rumours that he didn't want to go back to Darlington as his family were trying to settle in the south but I wonder. A good shot stopper but he doesn't come off his line for anything but maybe a move might change that.

why oh why are people on here so damn negative. the guy hasn't even been officially announced as manager and some people already have him down as a failure!

i personally think that a guy of Butcher's stature will be brilliant for our team. we are a small club with players who will most likely look up to someone like Butcher.

some players may even see this as a possible way of getting into the scotland set up, so will try even harder!

unfortunately after butcher's comments a couple of weeks ago about Black and his pca, i fear he may never play for ICT again.

You're thinking the same way as we did summer 2007. We thought he'd be able to sign some people because of who he was but he didn't. He failed to motivate the players.

http://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57715

That sums him up in a nutshell

Guest Yorkbee

Well Inverness It seems that I am not the only one who has been here to warn you about what is to come.. I hope that sense is come to very very quickly and you dispose of him. anyone who openly states that as a manager it is not his job to motivate the players, ( yep direct from the terry Butcher book of quotes ) should not be allowed near a fantasy football team let alone a real team

good luck I think you are going to need it...

Guest BrentfordFC90

I feel sorry for you having TB in charge!

He won't be able to motivate the players and i predict u'll b lookin for a new manager by the end of the season!

Howz your goalkeepin situation? We have a good goalkeeper who we would like to move on! Its Simon Brown believe he played up in Scotland for Hearts!

Can i just say....Butcher will get my full backing if, as expected, he is unvieled as manager. I thought he did an excellent job at Motherwell under difficult circumstances.....and recall well playing good football. And at the end of the day...as long as i feel i have been entertained, i will be happy.

Coventry, Sunderland and Sydney fans hate him, they were all over us telling us about his 4-5-1 negative football but we had the old "You're Aussies and what would you know" superiority mentality and that Cov and Sunderland was years ago. You will probably feel the same with League 2 fans on here but he is hated by us which is a shame as he was a damn fine player and probably a decent fella.

Remind us of anyone :rotflmao:

Sounds like we have another Brewster :thumb04:

It's all the Boards fault - sack him now! Oh wait, they can't, he has not been appointed yet.

I said on here after Brew was sacked, that this wee club will never be the same again now that it has the perceived strength of this medium. No one will be the choice of all the posters but the Robbo backers will endeavour to undermine the new manager so that they can say"See, I told you so!"

It is evident already with all the negativity being posted.

Get behind your team? There was a day!

This is becoming very tedious. Not reading anything else from anyone purporting to be from Brentford.

Perhaps they can be moved into a separate "Letters from an Embittered Brentford Fan" thread, and leave the rest of us to look forward to a hopefully better period at ICT, with a team whom I am personally convinced can help us beat the drop.

Guest Yorkbee

This is becoming very tedious. Not reading anything else from anyone purporting to be from Brentford.

Perhaps they can be moved into a separate "Letters from an Embittered Brentford Fan" thread, and leave the rest of us to look forward to a hopefully better period at ICT, with a team whom I am personally convinced can help us beat the drop.

take that attitude old chap if you want but we are only letting you know what is to come we could come on here laughing at you.. but we are not as for being embittered? nope supporting the bees is a lifelong obession that comes with realism and hope for the future,

Butcher did great things with both Coventry and Motherwell. Both had no money, yet with Motherwell he did well both in the league and cup. Coventry he kept in the EPL (as is) despite having to sell players. I remembered the comment at the time was that Butcher and Phil Neal deserved a medal not the sack. Atkinson and Strachan then came in. Spent far more than Coventry ever had with no improvement - even eventual relegation.

Can he do it? I think it's possible. I'll certainly not be calling for his head - even if we are relegated. Give him a chance to put his stamp on the club. Much more than he had with Brentford's revolving door policy and the Sydney director calling for his head after a fortnight (yep, a fortnight!).

I get the feeling this job could really make or break Butcher. He'll almost certainly have the time to rebuild. He's both succeeded and failed before. This time will be a gargantuan success or abysmal failure. I wonder which?

the Robbo backers will endeavour to undermine the new manager so that they can say"See, I told you so!" It is evident already with all the negativity being posted. Get behind your team? There was a day!

I would have preferred Robbo myself but that hasnt prevented me from being positive about Butcher twice already in this thread and elsewhere. A few other posters are the same ...... so its a sizeable bit of a generalisation on your part.

Guest BrentfordFC

It's not bitterness, it was after all, a fair while back.

Whilst I bear Butcher no ill will - I honestly believe he is an awful man manager, which isn't a great quality in his position.

He made plenty of enemies out of the playing squad, before he fecked us fans off.

Expect plenty of excuses, several cases of red wine in his office and a long ball bore.

Wishing you the very best of luck.

take that attitude old chap if you want but we are only letting you know what is to come we could come on here laughing at you.. but we are not as for being embittered? nope supporting the bees is a lifelong obession that comes with realism and hope for the future,

Hey Brentford fans - sorry to hear he was crap for you guys, but after Brewster, the only way for ICT is up !!!! We are all hoping that Butcher will succeed here and Starchief's post a couple above this one pretty much sums it up for me. He has a speckled record but his last shot in the SPL was pretty decent despite hard circumstances. We are hoping we get the Motherwell Butcher rather than the Brentford one.

In that case...remember how relieved you were when Butcher went? Would you have wanted people coming onto one of your forums saying the next manager was going to be even worse?

Peace anyway :rotflmao:

It's all the Boards fault - sack him now! Oh wait, they can't, he has not been appointed yet.

I said on here after Brew was sacked, that this wee club will never be the same again now that it has the perceived strength of this medium. No one will be the choice of all the posters but the Robbo backers will endeavour to undermine the new manager so that they can say"See, I told you so!"

It is evident already with all the negativity being posted.

Get behind your team? There was a day!

Irony of ironies! Who are you to lecture us about negativity when this itself is a negative post? I backed Robbo but have already said I'll support Butcher... I await your negative response with baited breath... :rotflmao:

Guest Brentfordfan

In that case...remember how relieved you were when Butcher went? Would you have wanted people coming onto one of your forums saying the next manager was going to be even worse?

Peace anyway :rotflmao:

Fair point and well made. I was orgasmic that it was over and then peed off with his replacement. Now we are 2nd in the league with a game in hand so what do I know?

Good luck and there really was no intent to wee on your fire.

Wow. 5 separate Brentford fans posting on here at the moment, clearly Butcher would struggle to walk down Brentford High st. That said, I am 100% behind him as there is no other way to be.

It is very interesting to chat with fans from other clubs who have something in common with ICT, even if it isnt exactly on a positive note. Will we indeed see Simon Brown at ICT as Fraser is leaving....

Guest Brentfordfan

Will we indeed see Simon Brown at ICT as Fraser is leaving....

I'm sure their is a keeper in him somewhere, it's just not worked with us. Wasn't he superb in that season for HIbs only to fall out with Collins in the next one. I agree that healthy debate is good and will look out for your results. If Butch is still there next season I would doubt that we will be arranging a friendly.

Wow. 5 separate Brentford fans posting on here at the moment, clearly Butcher would struggle to walk down Brentford High st. That said, I am 100% behind him as there is no other way to be.

The poor bloke's knees are gone, he can hardly walk at all.

However he would get a right kicking.

Edited by Brentfordfan

Fair point and well made. I was orgasmic that it was over and then peed off with his replacement. Now we are 2nd in the league with a game in hand so what do I know?

Good luck and there really was no intent to wee on your fire.

No prob, it was just unfortunate that the Brentford Seven appeared just as I was trying to cope with the negativity of some of the Inverness supporters. At least you have experienced the man.

Like Scotty, I hope that we get the Motherwell version of Butcher.

And good luck in getting that top slot.