Should Black Play Against Celtic?

Johnboy

Looking at the suggested line-ups to face Celtic on Sunday about half have picked him, and half haven't.

Butcher has said he will only pick players who are fully committed to the future of ICT, so will he ignore both Black and Cowie for this one?

Can he afford to do that?

For me Ian Black has given us some of his best performances against the Tics... I wouldn't have any doubts about picking him for this one which could very easily become the game in which our season finally turned around....

Guest Muir-Jaggie

cowie, black and fraser are leaving in the summer but they can all pull there weight still and help a club which has being there for them and made them better players

He does however have a bit of a "get out clause" insomuch as he could use the excuse that these are things done before he got here and under previous circumstances he finds it understandable.

Personally, I don't think he has the luxury of sticking to his guns on whatever previous statements he might have made. ICT need the best players available on the park, and if that means Black, Cowie and Fraser and he chooses not to play them then he's on a hiding to nothing.

Black is a good individual player, but more often than not, he's style over substance. Lot's of neat ball control but almost no graft or end product. We seem to play better as a team when he's absent.

Fraser looks the part, but he could easily be Les Fridge in disguise. We could bring Jim Calder out of retirment as back up and wouldn't really be much worse off to be honest.

Of the 3 players leaving, Cowie is the one who we will really miss IMHO. I think we'd be crazy not to play him, we desparatly need points on the board and he's a match-winner.

I think he left the door open for all three of them in his interview with CB. (thats Bannerman not Brewster for those that are worried :rotflmao: ).

It sounded like he might like to dispense with them if he can get Hearts, Motherwell and Watford to pony up some cash, but he then said they are all ICT players until the end of the season if not. I think his priorities in picking the best team might take precedence over his punditry comments.

i think he should play if his performance in training merits it. dont think any honest player would not give 100 % no matter what the contract position is.once their on that pitch they'll be out to win it. however, if we didn't find ourselves in such a precarious position i'd probably not play any of the pre contract players at all unless i had to and would go with those whose future is at the club, not out of contempt for these players, they've been good for the club, but just to build for the futures

From the Inverness Courier paper copy:-

Alleged quotes from Butcher

"Don has agreed a pre-contract with Watford and now he's like Ian Black and Michael Fraser in that they've signed deals elsewhere. "However, they've been very honest about it and they are all prepared and willing to fight for the cause because they know they can leave here as heroes. "That is their target - to help Caley Thistle survive - and until I see any different then they'll be for selection. "We are going to need everybody who is right, both mentally and physically, to play for this club and I'm confident those three will be"

No need to buy the paper now.

ps

Hastings, Gatheussi, McBain all missing.

Morais and Byrne trained this week.

There is a big difference to quotes that you make as a Setanta presenter and a Manager. The presenter will give their personal opinion - I agree with Butcher and I dont like short term loan signings either - but Brewster the manager has an obligation to the club and will play whoever is available if they fit into his system and are showing the form at training and on the pitch. Cant see any of the months of bitching taking place with Brew and the Muppets.

if they are still getting paid to do a job ,which they are , there should be no reason not to play them, unless the players themselves have said that they dont give a feck , which i doubt any of them have

Yes Black should defnitely play against Celtic as there is no one left to play in the centre midfield because if things are as they stand....

Cowie will join Watford NOW therefore he will probably be gone by Sunday and even if we do sign Brian Kerr he is not going to be match fit at all. That makes him fit for the bench at the most.

So that leaves us with Black and Duncan so unless we plan on some other daft formation where we resort to playing simply one central midfield player i really don't think Terry Butcher has much choice.

Also for the fact that i agree with all that Black will be totally committed to the cause of keeping us up and would love to depart ICT at the end of the season knowing he played his part in keeping us up....if we stay up.

Edited by ajsict92

Yes Black should defnitely play against Celtic as there is no one left to play in the centre midfield because if things are as they stand....

Cowie will join Watford NOW therefore he will probably be gone by Sunday and even if we do sign Brian Kerr he is not going to be match fit at all. That makes him fit for the bench at the most.

So that leaves us with Black and Duncan so unless we plan on some other daft formation where we resort to playing simply one central midfield player i really don't think Terry Butcher has much choice.

Also for the fact that i agree with all that Black will be totally committed to the cause of keeping us up and would love to depart ICT at the end of the season knowing he played his part in keeping us up....if we stay up.

Agree entirely. Blackie hates getting beaten. If selected, and I hope he is, he will do a job for us.

I think so yes as he is still one of if not the best player at the club and has a lot to offer. It all depends though how commited he is in training.

But i feel Black will continue to give his all to try and prove himself to Laszlo as Hearts look like keeping Aguiar.

He should play any player who merits his place. Butcher's responsibility is to the club and to play his strongest squad.

Since the players are in the news just now it would also seem logical that they will be out to parade their talents for the spotlight(s). Then, if they do well, they can all leave without a cloud over their heads and the net return to the club is a much better one than if they have left in acrimonious circumstances.