The Tailor Of Inverness

jaggybonnet

I think the Zajac's were actually neighbours of my Uncle in St Fergus Drive in Inverness. I have heard of Mathew Zajac over the years. I knew he was either an actor or director or something to do with movies/tv

I think the Zajac's were actually neighbours of my Uncle in St Fergus Drive in Inverness. I have heard of Mathew Zajac over the years. I knew he was either an actor or director or something to do with movies/tv

Zajac the father was a Taylor in Church st, 57 I think in the close behind White the photographers. I remember when flairs went out of fashion taking my suit trousers to him to alter, you did that in the old days! When I went back to collect them he showed me the trousers with the excess material left sewn in the leg and said when flairs come back into fashion again you can come back and I will alter them for you again, good for buisness! :rotflmao:

All too easily forgotten these days but there was a previous generation of Poles who settled in the Highlands after World War 2. They fought with our forces but when the Iron Curtain came down they didn't return to their homeland for fear of persecution. They were great characters and very likeable.

The Zajac tailoring business was in Inglis Street above H Samuel. The family lived initially in the "electric flats" in St. Valery Avenue before moving to St. Fergus Drive in the late 60s. There were four kids. Angela who was the oldest, Catherine who was in my year at Dalneigh and the Royal Academy, Matthew and Graham.

Catherine latterly styled herself "Casia" (the Polish version) and was for some time Chief Executive of the Inverness Chamber of Commerce before moving to another job in London about a year ago. Matthew has made a very good career in the theatre and I believe Graham was killed in an accident quite a few years ago.

The Zajac tailoring business was in Inglis Street above H Samuel. The family lived initially in the "electric flats" in St. Valery Avenue before moving to St. Fergus Drive in the late 60s. There were four kids. Angela who was the oldest, Catherine who was in my year at Dalneigh and the Royal Academy, Matthew and Graham.

Catherine latterly styled herself "Casia" (the Polish version) and was for some time Chief Executive of the Inverness Chamber of Commerce before moving to another job in London about a year ago. Matthew has made a very good career in the theatre and I believe Graham was killed in an accident quite a few years ago.

It was in the early 70's the tailoring business was in Church St where he still did work for the army.

It was in the early 70's the tailoring business was in Church St where he still did work for the army.

I think he must have moved from Inglis Street at some point because he was definitely there in the 60s.

Where was Mateusz Zajac's workshop in Inverness? I saw this interesting play last night at the Brunton Theatre in Musselburgh. It is written and acted by his son Matthew who apparently went to Inverness High School in the seventies. Any memories of these characters?

The play is on at Eden Court on the 18th of this month and apparently it was very popular at the Edinburgh Festival.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Matthew in the High School. He was a prefect in the mid to late seventies.

Gosh that brings back memories, was a prefect then, prefect room upstairs where you could smoke out the window then off to the back of the huts to catch others smoking.

Put me off smoking for life!!