Sergei Baltacha

BornCaley

So as managers of ICT go, there is little mention of Sergei Baltacha among manager debates. Lots of us rightly talk about Pele or Robbo or CC, CB- but Segei is forgotton about

Im not sure of the whole story of why he left ICT, but i thought it was worth a few collum inches in the forum

So whats our thoughts on our first manager?

would we have faired better if the then Thistle manager Henry M was given the role of CT?

Was Sergei that bad?

BC

Sergei took Caledonian to a North cup win but failed to win the league and took CT to sixth in div3 first season. Nobody will ever really know whether he could have bettered that cos his demise was more to do with politics than football. He hasn't, however, done anything else if football since so perhaps that speaks volumes for his ability. My understanding is he was never sacked. Just didn't get his contract renewed.

It was suggested to me the other week (by someone far more knowledgeable in these matters than I) that Baltacha was just the wrong manager at the wrong time for ICT (CT as we were at that time). The point I think the person was making was that his style of management and the way he tried to set the team out was beyond our capabilities and that he'd perhaps be more than capable of doing a decent job at a higher level with more technically gifted players.

You could make the point that any manager could do a better job if he had better players to work with, but it's one of those "we'll never know" arguments.

Sergei was a gentleman through and through and had an incredible playing pedigree but just didn't seem to make it as a manager and I note he hasn't done much (or indeed any) management since he left Inverness. I know that the players didn't like his management style very much since they were part timers and he tended to go on the full time model with a big touch of Soviet ruthlessness added in. I think Caley D's suggestion that he couldn't adapt to players of a lesser ability is also valid. There were language problems as well.

Remember that his appointment to CT, and even to Caledonian before that, had significant political implications. I believe that Caledonian in 1993 wanted a high profile manager who would be an asset to them either in any bid to join the SFL on their own or in terms of getting their man into post if a merger ever took place - and so it transpired. When it came to appointing the first CT manager in February 1994, Henrik Madej, as the rather lower profile manager of the smaller merger partner which had been "put in its (not unreasonable) place" by its bigger colleague during the merger battle, never had any chance at all of getting that job.

With regard to Sergei's departure, I am of the view that he WAS sacked. It was late April 1995 and Sergei was summoned to meet with Kenny Thomson and one or two others in Dougie McGilvray's office. They were intent that Sergei had to go but it was put to him that he would get a year's salary (?25K at the time) and the official story would be that Sergei wanted to get back to Perth to be with his family (his failure to relocate had been a significant issue) but the Board had asked him to stay on for the final two games of the season so he would leave then. There is no doubt that he was sacked but, given the recent political atmosphere, another controversy was the last thing they wanted so that was the way it was presented.

By that time Pele was also well and truly on the radar, and the rest is history.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Talking of the "ruthlessness" - I do remember one player at the time - a defender - telling me that players, or defenders at least, were told they would be fined if they went over the half-way line. His play was very negative but in hindsight was that an attempt to create a team that was solid at the back which would grind out results or was it managerial incompetence ?

Charles will correct me if I am wrong, I am sure, but as a fan in that first season, you got the feeling that Steve Paterson, the all-conquering Huntly hero was on the radar long before Sergei's departure and the fans were happy to see the change ...... the rest as they say .... is history.

I know nothing of what went on behind the scenes but that first season in the third division was largely unentertaining despite the novelty of league football and results show it was also the least successful season in the history of the club.

Even if there hadn't been internal problems I suspect that he would not have been retained for another season. I was sure then and remain sure now that the appointment of the Caledonian manager to be the first manager of the combined team haf much more to do with politics that with footballing merit. After all, despite his undoubted pedigree and international high profile, hed hardly set the heather on fire during his season in charge of Caley in the Highland League.

Edited by Kingsmills

Kingsmills... I was expecting one former Jaggie or another to object to my comment about the smaller merger partner being "put in its (not unreasonable) place", but no one has bitten so far! :rotflmao: If there had not been internal problems, I also wonder if he would have been appointed to Caley at all since his original appointment there was also a produce of the kind of mindset which created the internal problems as well.

Scotty.... I think that maybe from the turn of 1995 - ie half way through the season - there had been a realisation that Sergei was not the man. Certainly I remember two very senior CT players telling me after the cup defeat by QoS in December that he was losing the dressing room. I therefore agree with you that Pele was probably on the radar from around mid season and I certainly remember hearing quite some time before the end of that first season that there was interest in him. However they were still so wrapped up in politics and the law (for instance the Thistle court case was reaching a head) that they must have been glad that, with relegation not an issue in D3, they didn't have to worry about disposing of the manager until the end of the season.

despite my years following club & previous, at the time, i didnt take much notice of the management/board as i do now.

I know SB was a nice guy and i did hear some mumblings about his style of management/tactics.

Friends of mine did note at the time that his appointment was a ploy by the Caledonian board to make our entry into the SFL easier, so it doesnt suprise me that Pele was on the "radar" so early on in our history.

I liked Baltacha and was sad at him leaving, but hey thats football!

As for what he is doing now i found this on Wikipedia

" Baltacha is currently a physical education teacher and tutor at Bacons' College in South East London. He was also formerly a well respected physical education teacher at Geoffrey Chaucer Technology College (Rotherhithe, London) and a coach at the Charlton Athletic academy"

Edited by BornCaley

results show it was also the least successful season in the history of the club.

I would disagree. Whilst the Baltacha season was no fun ..... Craig Brewster is the least succesfull ICT manager.

post-2-1233688329_thumb.png

post-2-1233688337_thumb.png

" Baltacha is currently a physical education teacher and tutor at Bacons' College in South East London. He was also formerly a well respected physical education teacher at Geoffrey Chaucer Technology College (Rotherhithe, London) and a coach at the Charlton Athletic academy"

If that is the case then either his English has improved dramatically since 1995 or this is a reflection of the rather lower standards for entrance to teaching in England. In Scotland he would have to have a GTC approved teaching qualification which would have to include Higher English.

IHE... agreed, it was a fact. The problem was that there was an element within the Thistle support which thought it should be a 50-50 merger and an element within the Caley support which thought it should be 100-0. The reality was somewhere in between and so it has transpired.

Johnboy... "ICT - The Butcher Years?" You never know!

Scotty.... I'm not sure it's possible to compare managers operating variously among the impoverished of the Third Division and the elite of the SPL, albeit with players at ?40 a week and up to ?1000 or so.

Caley only appointed SB to try and get some media limelight back from Thistle after we had appointed Leishman. We appointed him in Feb 18th 1991 and to me that was the first step towards ICT. This was the first shot in the "we will go it alone" bids. Once Leish left Caley made their play and yes for politics, after the merger CT kept SB. In the words of a great man, SB was inept!

If that is the case then either his English has improved dramatically since 1995 or this is a reflection of the rather lower standards for entrance to teaching in England. In Scotland he would have to have a GTC approved teaching qualification which would have to include Higher English.

IHE... agreed, it was a fact. The problem was that there was an element within the Thistle support which thought it should be a 50-50 merger and an element within the Caley support which thought it should be 100-0. The reality was somewhere in between and so it has transpired.

Johnboy... "ICT - The Butcher Years?" You never know!

Scotty.... I'm not sure it's possible to compare managers operating variously among the impoverished of the Third Division and the elite of the SPL, albeit with players at ?40 a week and up to ?1000 or so.

Charles, any chance of producing a pamphlet on the ' Brewster years'

Caley only appointed SB to try and get some media limelight back from Thistle after we had appointed Leishman. We appointed him in Feb 18th 1991 and to me that was the first step towards ICT. This was the first shot in the "we will go it alone" bids. Once Leish left Caley made their play and yes for politics, after the merger CT kept SB. In the words of a great man, SB was inept!

I can't quite agree with this since the SFL rearranging to 4 x 10 wasn't on the agenda in Feb 1991 and Leishman had been gone for a full year and a half by the time Baltacha was appointed by Caley. I do, however, think that the Baltacha appointment had a lot to do with the merger which by that time (June 93) had been launched as a project by INE and the SFL had decided to rearrange.

I can't quite agree with this since the SFL rearranging to 4 x 10 wasn't on the agenda in Feb 1991 and Leishman had been gone for a full year and a half by the time Baltacha was appointed by Caley. I do, however, think that the Baltacha appointment had a lot to do with the merger which by that time (June 93) had been launched as a project by INE and the SFL had decided to rearrange.

4x10 may not have been on the agenda but both Big Jock and Leishman were looking to the future and an Inverness United team. I am sure you will remember most off the local press going with this. I really think this was Jock being Jock and using his knowledge and inside info from SFA towers that plans were afoot. Sadly Leishman was a complete waste of space and more interested in local bars and hospitality!

My favourite quote at the time was in an editorial in the P&J: Thistle, a club with a club which has always had ambitions to move into senior football.........Thistle, therefore have stolen a march on their great local rivals Caledonian and one can be certain that they will not take the challenge lying down.

It took Caley a year and a half then to rise to the challenge!

Sergei was a gentleman through and through and had an incredible playing pedigree but just didn't seem to make it as a manager and I note he hasn't done much (or indeed any) management since he left Inverness. I know that the players didn't like his management style very much since they were part timers and he tended to go on the full time model with a big touch of Soviet ruthlessness added in. I think Caley D's suggestion that he couldn't adapt to players of a lesser ability is also valid. There were language problems as well.

Remember that his appointment to CT, and even to Caledonian before that, had significant political implications. I believe that Caledonian in 1993 wanted a high profile manager who would be an asset to them either in any bid to join the SFL on their own or in terms of getting their man into post if a merger ever took place - and so it transpired. When it came to appointing the first CT manager in February 1994, Henrik Madej, as the rather lower profile manager of the smaller merger partner which had been "put in its (not unreasonable) place" by its bigger colleague during the merger battle, never had any chance at all of getting that job.

With regard to Sergei's departure, I am of the view that he WAS sacked. It was late April 1995 and Sergei was summoned to meet with Kenny Thomson and one or two others in Dougie McGilvray's office. They were intent that Sergei had to go but it was put to him that he would get a year's salary (?25K at the time) and the official story would be that Sergei wanted to get back to Perth to be with his family (his failure to relocate had been a significant issue) but the Board had asked him to stay on for the final two games of the season so he would leave then. There is no doubt that he was sacked but, given the recent political atmosphere, another controversy was the last thing they wanted so that was the way it was presented.

By that time Pele was also well and truly on the radar, and the rest is history.

A fairly accurate account and since my name is mentioned, perhaps I can add a little more to what actually happened.

A full board meeting took place in Dougie's office under his chairmanship and we were unanimous that a change of manager was needed. Apart from some disappointing results, there was also a good bit of unrest about his defensive style of play. Sergei had also not re-located to Inverness as promised and was spending more and more of the week back at his Perth home.

Prior to his arrival at the meeting, we also agreed a financial package which we would offer to him. I genuinely can't remember exactly how much but it wasn't a great deal. When Sergei attended the meeting to give his football report there was much humming and hawing until I finally bit the bullet and said something like 'Sergei, I really don't think this is really working for either you or the club, perhaps we should work out some sort of settlement'. With the ice broken, Sergei quickly confirmed this was his feeling too and within 15/20 minutes a deal had been struck. So it was by mutual consent that he left the club but had he wished to stay on, I am sure that we would have sacked him. We also saw no need for him to go immediately and if I remember rightly we humped Ross County in his last game.

The most amusing part was when I told him that we would use Allan Mackenzie as the club's solicitor and he should let us know who he wished to use. Sergei's response was 'Ken, I would like to use Allan too, can we go there together'. So the very next morning we met up at the Caledonian Hotel (as it was called then) and off we went to Allan's office to conclude the paperwork. We always got on well together and the whole proceedings took place in a most amicable manner.

Sergei always conducted himself with great dignity and we thought it only fair that we should allow him to leave with the same dignity.

Moving off topic, we considered that there were a good number of quality replacements but naturally were well aware of the success that Pele was enjoying at Huntly. After getting permission from his club, Dougie, Roy MacLennan and I were dispatched to meet Pele at a Nairn hotel. On the way through, we kept telling ourselves not to rush into this as we should also consider other candidates. After Pele outlined his vision for the club and finished interviewing US, we were totally sold. Nobody else was in the frame. Pele was the man we wanted and although Huntly required substantial compensation, a deal was finally agreed and a new era in our history began.