Inverness Courier

Johnboy

Today's Courier report of Saturday's cup tie makes interesting reading....

Quote :

"Mihadjuks nearly went from hero to villain on the stroke of half time. His desperate attempts to halt David Fernandez from a clear run on goal looked to have brought about a penalty for Kilmarnock as referee Iain Brines initially gestured towards the spot.

It was on the face of it a brave decision given that the snow had obscured all the lines on the field, but to the surprise of everyone, not least visiting boss Jim Jeffries, he then changed his mind and awarded Killie a free kick on the edge of the area"

I was at the game and had a decent view of the "incident". Pavels slide tackled Fernandez outside the area, and connected cleanly with the ball - not the player. Fernandez took a couple more steps into the box and then went down - somewhat dramatically. TV highlights clearly showed exactly what happened. Fernandez should have been booked for cheating.

The Courier's report on the match might have made worthwhile reading if had it appeared in some Kilmarnock rag..

I'm sure it wasn't to the surprise of a few thousand ICT fans at the game. But hell I take everything the media (of any form) says with a pinch of reality. Its always over hyped and written to a formula where bad news is often better than good. While you can put most of the bad press we get down to people hating the fact we're in the spl (for now). I'd have to say this is down to poor reporting where they're probably just copying the line the other papers are taking.

I'm sure it wasn't to the surprise of a few thousand ICT fans at the game. But hell I take everything the media (of any form) says with a pinch of reality. Its always over hyped and written to a formula where bad news is often better than good. While you can put most of the bad press we get down to people hating the fact we're in the spl (for now). I'd have to say this is down to poor reporting where they're probably just copying the line the other papers are taking.

Could it be that the reporter based his/her judgement on John Robertson's remarks on Radio Scotland in which he accused our players of conning the referee into where the tackle took place?

Robbo got it badly wrong saying it was a stonewall penalty....

Maybe a wee bit of sour grapes creeping in now, because he didn't get the job.

Could it be that the reporter based his/her judgement on John Robertson's remarks on Radio Scotland in which he accused our players of conning the referee into where the tackle took place?

Robbo got it badly wrong saying it was a stonewall penalty....

Maybe a wee bit of sour grapes creeping in now, because he didn't get the job.

Couldn't comment on the reporting but I had the same feeling about Robbo listening to the analysis of the Celtic game - nothing you could really put your finger on but just not as fulsome as it had been before the appointment was made. I don't mean he didn't come across as being objective: rather that, before, he's sounded as biased as Chick Young at a St. Mirren game.

I agree with Johnboy.

Having seen it from were i was sitting it looked a clean tackle and Fernandez simply throwing himself a couple of yards. And after watching it on Sportscene i didn't see anything any different.

What a rubbish article, trying to give a negative outlook on Pavels.

Edited by ajsict92

When reading the national or local Press, it should nearly always be "believe 10% of what is printed and the other 90% they may have dreamed up/invented/embellished (or copied from other newspapers without checking)". That edict seems reasonably accurate in regard to the Inverness Courier reporting of our game last week in regard to "was it a penalty". Red card to the Courier and their reporter - were they actually present on the day?

you could understand, almost, that the sunday papers would report it as a lucky break and should have been a penalty.i myself and others near where i sat initially thought it looked to be a penalty but having seen it again i realised immediately it obviously wasn't even nearly a penalty so for the press to still come out with crap like that on a monday or tuesday is sloppy, lazy journalism and the courier is one of many guilty papers to toe that line.

Heres what the Highland News has to say on it ..................

On the stroke of half-time, Mihadjuks was judged to have felled David Fernadez on the edge of the box. From the free-kick, Gibson swerved it over the bar.

The challenge did appear to have taken place just inside the box, but the snow hid the lines, seemingly getting the hosts off the hook.

at the risk of being completely off-topic, i've never liked the man. He slagged us off as soon as he jumped ship to Hearts, stole denzil from us and failed miserably. I know there is still a lot of sentiment left and most on here seem to have a lot of time for the man, but i just don't rate him.

anyway, i love the courier's sport section. my faithful readers in the 'sports comment' section were rewarded last friday with my opinion on Brian Kerr signing. its the first paper i buy, probably because it dedicates almost all of its backpages to ICT.

Probably nothing to do with the fact that the "Press Ball" was the night before and members of the fourth estate couldnae actually see at that point (around an hour after they had stopped drinking, allegedly) Lucky we got any kind of report really.

So them being on another planet - fair enuff.

Well, I am the opposite.

I like Robbo. I dont know the man all that well having met him only two or three times, but each time I came across him he was fine.

Because of the blocking of overseas broadcasts (live commentary part at least), I have had to listen to open all mics many times over the last couple of years and Robbo is nothing if not supportive of the Inverness area and ICT. So much so that in recent months it seems to be a bit of a slag-fest between him and Chic with the latter making the stereotypical comments about tractors, horses and carts etc to get a rise out of Robbo and Robbo being fiercely protective when derogatory or ignorant comments are made.

He freely admitted on-air to being "gutted" at not getting the ICT job but I didnt notice any perceivable shift from him in terms of turning against ICT or the fans. I personally favoured him for the job, but I am not bitter about it, and I dont think he is. With hindsight, the appointment of Butcher (who was another on my personal "acceptable" list) looks to have been inspirational but only time will tell.

not sure what any of this has to do with the Courier though !!!!

He freely admitted on-air to being "gutted" at not getting the ICT job but I didnt notice any perceivable shift from him in terms of turning against ICT or the fans. I personally favoured him for the job, but I am not bitter about it, and I dont think he is. With hindsight, the appointment of Butcher (who was another on my personal "acceptable" list) looks to have been inspirational but only time will tell.

not sure what any of this has to do with the Courier though !!!!

I had a good view of the Pavels "no penalty" incident... it was a fair tackle by Pavels outside the box, as tv highlights confirmed... Fernandez should have been booked for cheating...

I also had an MP3 player stuck in my lug-hole at the time tuned to Radio Scotland and couldn't believe Robbo's comments....

Such as :

"ICT got out of jail with that decision..."

"ICT players conned the ref by pointing out other marks in the snow where they claimed the tackle had taken place"

(That's a pretty damming comment - slanderous maybe even)

"It was a stonewall penalty"

He's always sounded very supportive of Caley in the past, but as others on this thread have suggested that would no longer now appear to be the case.

The connection with the Courier report is that I wondered if their reporter had been influenced by Robbo's comments.

Edited by Johnboy

Every press report I've read was in agreement with Robbo .

Yeap... same here.

When R.Scotland came back to Robbo after the game he was still going on about it.... saying it was the only major talking point in an otherwise poor game...

I thought two excellent ICT goals should have been a major talking point..

Edited by Johnboy

I like Robbo. I dont know the man all that well having met him only two or three times, but each time I came across him he was fine.

Because of the blocking of overseas broadcasts (live commentary part at least), I have had to listen to open all mics many times over the last couple of years and Robbo is nothing if not supportive of the Inverness area and ICT. So much so that in recent months it seems to be a bit of a slag-fest between him and Chic with the latter making the stereotypical comments about tractors, horses and carts etc to get a rise out of Robbo and Robbo being fiercely protective when derogatory or ignorant comments are made.

Yup.

what hasn't helped either is that the press have it in for the refs at the moment and are always looking for the next big controversial decision so they can go on about the standard of refereeing. yes we do have some bad refs but the ref on sat was blasted in the press for changing his mind about the penalty and having a nightmare when in actual fact he should have been praised for not awarding an undeserved penalty

You know what, I don't think Brines even pointed to the spot. I was sitting behind the goal, and the foul happened directly in front of me. When Brines whistled, he was very careful to point at where the trip took place, not the penalty spot.

At the time I thought it was a penalty, because I'd either forgotten or didn't see Fernandez running half a mile before falling over.

Watching it back on telly, I thought it was a very good decision by the referee (one of few, admittedly), I think Pavel (I'm not even going to try and spell his surname!) probably played Fernandez before the ball, but it was just outside the box.

Had it been at Tynecastle, it would have obviously been a free-kick to ICT and a yellow card to Fernandez for diving.

I also noticed that last week the Courier gave Lionel the lowest 'star man' score of anyone on the pitch when in reality he was arguably man of the match. Same story this week. They're a bunch of numpties.

;) :thumb04: :018: :rotflmao: More like they can see beyond the hype / hysteria - much as Robbo can.