'jaded' Out

caley100

• 1 month later...

Jade Goody, the reality TV star who died last month of cervical cancer aged 27, represented ?all that is paltry and wretched about Britain?, Sir Michael Parkinson has said.

He told Radio Times: "Jade Goody has her own place in the history of television and, while it?s significant, it?s nothing to be proud of. Her death is as sad as the death of any young person, but it?s not the passing of a martyr or a saint or, God help us, Princess Di.

?When we clear the media smoke screen from around her death, what we?re left with is a woman who came to represent all that?s paltry and wretched about Britain today.

?She was brought up on a sink estate, as a child came to know drugs and crime, was barely educated, ignorant and puerile. Then she was projected to celebrity by Big Brother and became a media chattel to be exploited till the day she died.?

:rotflmao:

"She was brought up on a sink estate, as a child came to know drugs and crime, was barely educated, ignorant and puerile. Then she was projected to celebrity by Big Brother and became a media chattel to be exploited till the day she died.

I have to look at this comment and actually think I agreed with Parkinson up until that point.

Is it her fault?

She was brought up on a sink estate - yes I am sure she loved that and wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Known to drugs and crime - she was brought up in it, lets be realistic! It is a vicious circle.

Barely educated - goes with the above two points really, could we expect anymore when children are dragged up???

Ignorant - well of course she bloody was, she had zero education!

Yes there has been too much media attention and blah blah blah but lets get real here if she could have started her life out any other way I am sure she would have been there. She changed her life for the better and she gets slagged off for what she was, something that she had no control over when she was little.

'She changed her life for the better'

How? By further education? By charity work? Oh no, she went onto a reality show, flashed her bits, was rude to all and sundry and made all viewers so proud to be British and I don't think-( thank God she wasn't Scottish)

She was then exploited by the media and their parasitical friends, including Max Clifford.

Lets just hope that there is no daft wee lassies out there, using Jade as someone to aspire to.

Is Parkie apportioning blame re her birth place etc or just stating a fact?

'She changed her life for the better'

How? By further education? By charity work? Oh no, she went onto a reality show, flashed her bits, was rude to all and sundry and made all viewers so proud to be British and I don't think-( thank God she wasn't Scottish)

She was then exploited by the media and their parasitical friends, including Max Clifford.

Lets just hope that there is no daft wee lassies out there, using Jade as someone to aspire to.

Is Parkie apportioning blame re her birth place etc or just stating a fact?

Well if you have actually read some of my other posts on the topic you will see that she did get a better education, she then opened a business as a result.

Parkinson is just stating facts and blaming the media, who cares? The media bump up loads of people every single day, what is new?

Fair play to Jade Goody for grabbing her opperchancity with both hands and making the most of it, but Parky is spot on.What he say's is she came to represent all that is paltry and wretched about Britain,not that she was paltry and wretched but that sink estate's, drugs and crime, bad education, ignoranance and puerility are and she "was then projected to celebrity by Big Brother and became a media chattel to be exploited till the day she died"

But there are always people who CHOOSE to be offended by such relatively inoffensive comments - usually (supposedly) on behalf of others. There's probably a name for it.

It's a bit like the BLACKboard thing . . . . . . oooooh don't get me started! :rotflmao:

Fair play to Jade Goody for grabbing her opperchancity with both hands and making the most of it, but Parky is spot on.What he say's is she came to represent all that is paltry and wretched about Britain,not that she was paltry and wretched but that sink estate's, drugs and crime, bad education, ignoranance and puerility are and she "was then projected to celebrity by Big Brother and became a media chattel to be exploited till the day she died"

Do you think the representation of her would influence those who come from 'sink' estates to achieve more?

Obviously MrsICT has swallowed the Jade Goody propaganda hook, line and sinker. She is the exact type of person all the media circus was tailored for.

I myself find it totally disgusting that she cashed in on her terminal illness. Hardly a dignified end!

She did attack shilpa shetty in a racial manner...I know what i witnessed....but what isnt reported much, is the fact that shetty retaliated along similar lines!

Oh.....and...as a man.....i was aware of cervical cancer LONG before Jade Goody came along. She was famous for being famous...thats it!

I feel the same about her as i did Princess Di. She was a calculating, manipulative, self serving, attention seeking individual...and her death did nothing to change my opinion

Obviously MrsICT has swallowed the Jade Goody propaganda hook, line and sinker. She is the exact type of person all the media circus was tailored for.

Glad to see you know me so well :rotflmao:

I haven't fallen for anything, I didn't like the girl, I didn't buy magazines with her in it, I didn't watch the tv show, I will not watch a film with her in it or read the book.

My point is that who cares what she came from or what she did to get money, people have let it get like that, she is not to blame, people have built her up, not her.

Oh...and the cynic in me suspects the whole wedding was perhaps a sham. It was infact a manufactured photo opportunity, with the added incentive of serving as a tax dodge! Had she not been married...her estates net worth would have been halved, due to inheritance tax demands!

Edited by SMEE

At the end of the day she was a plaything of the tabloid press and although many of us may have known about various cancers (including cervical) before her well publicised fight, she did manage to help raise awareness of cervical cancer especially amongst younger females who may have thought they were immune until later life. I don't necessarily agree that she "cashed in" on her terminal illness as she didnt benefit from that, she simply managed to ensure that her children will have a more "comfortable" childhood than she had.

We all know bits and pieces of her tough upbringing and it was clear from Big Brother that her naivety and ignorance was both a blessing and a curse .... I didnt particulary watch BB but the tabloids latched onto her and made her into a celebrity for being the naive, pudgy girl who could be manipulated into things like flashing her boobs, pronouncing things wrongly or just being blissfully ignorant. This 'fame' continued after BB for some reason - although I suppose it was easy .... daft girl, one armed lesbian mother, school of hard knocks etc ... a tabloid journalists dream - and they (with her and Max Clifford's help) turned her into "a reality star" ... a term that I loathe.

As with any "star" - genuine or otherwise - in the UK, the tabloids then turned on her and tried to tear her down and were succeeding magnificently - especially due to the Shetty incident - until she got her diagnosis. It is only then that I think she actually showed a decent bit of intelligence (or was it advice from someone?) and used her illness to not only do some good but also to make a few quid she could put in trust for her kids.

I dont think she was publicity seeking during her dying days, it was calculated to maximise the estate she would leave behind for her kids. Cancer is a horrible disease and virtually all of us have encountered it in some form or another either personally or through close relatives or friends ... I know I have, far too often, and for someone to have the presence of mind to think of others while battling this scourge is admirable. The cancer society has also commented on the "Jade Effect" which has seen hits on their cervical cancer information pages quadruple and the Guardian reported a 21% increase in young women asking for smear tests.

I tend to agree with Parkie a bit ... not all of what he says, but at least the bit where he says "Goody had become property of the media to be manipulated and exploited 'til the day she died" as that is basically what I said above.

The full article on the BBC website [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7987426.stm] also makes it clear that despite what Bishop Blake says at the end of it, Parkie is more criticising the media than Goody........

The broadcaster added it was not the fact that Goody became famous in the first place that bothered him: "What bothers me is that the media first of all recommended we hate Jade Goody.

"'A slapper with a face like a pig'; 'the most hated woman in Britain', remember? And shortly thereafter tried to persuade us to celebrate her."

He said Goody was "the perfect victim of our times...brought up in a cesspit of poverty and died to an orchestrated chorus of exploitation".

"All that is to be wished of such a troubled soul is: rest in peace," he concluded.

Oh...and the cynic in me thinks the whole wedding was a sham. It was infact a manufactured photo opportunity, with the added incentive of serving as a tax dodge! Had she not been married...her estates net worth would have been halved, due to inheritance tax demands!

You sure about that ? The man she married was not the father of her kids and didnt she leave everything in trust for her kids ?

EDIT: did a little googling and found this ......

If Jade had died and left it to the kids the tax was due.

If she'd given it to the kids and lived 7 years then no IHT (Inheritance Tax)

She got married passed the cash over to her husband and all the money was put into trust. No IHT.

If Jack now lives for 7 years and the money has been given to the kids in a trust no IHT will be due on that gift.

If Jack dies then IHT will be due.

so yes, possibly a tax dodge, but a sensible one to benefit the kids.

Edited by Scotty
added more info

I have a sneaking suspicion that the thug she married may well have other plans for the cash. Time will tell. Cant see him taking on the kids somehow....provided hes not doing bird!

He may have plans for it, but is he smart enough to outwit the person who seems to have given her sensible enough advice to enable her to earn it in her final days, setup a trust for the kids, then avoid inheritance tax by marrying him ......

I feel the same about her as i did Princess Di. She was a calculating, manipulative, self serving, attention seeking individual...and her death did nothing to change my opinion

Thats pretty ****** to compare her with Di in that way, at least Di used her fame to do some good for many charities,

including cancer.

That was a cheap shot.

Do you think the representation of her would influence those who come from 'sink' estates to achieve more?

I don't think it will influence any one to achieve more,nor was it intended to,it was one mans observation which i personally agree with. Conversely ,do you believe Jade Goody's time in the spotlight inspires or influences anyone to achieve more? other than believing their is a quick and easy road to fame and fortune by being ignorant,lairy and offensive.

I don't think it will influence any one to achieve more,nor was it intended to,it was one mans observation which i personally agree with. Conversely ,do you believe Jade Goody's time in the spotlight inspires or influences anyone to achieve more? other than believing their is a quick and easy road to fame and fortune by being ignorant,lairy and offensive.

Nah, the only people she may inspire are those with kids (who have cancer), but that is a maybe.

I hate the reality culture, horrid.

Jade Goody was quite simply one of an unfortunately sizeable slice of our population on whom the drama series "Shameless" is based. It is a rather damning indictment of our society that any unfortunate dysfunctional with these non-credentials should achieve and sustain "celebrity" status. The media, and people like Max Clifford, created the nonentity which was Jade Goody. However they would neither have been able to do so nor to have sustained their efforts even past the grave if our society was not able to produce sufficient demand for/ be hoodwinked by the fundamental vacuousness of a phenomenon like this.

Having said that, I love the Sun (who are probably the biggest and most successful "Jade Watchers") and especially Bill Leckie's excellent stuff, football and non football. The Sun is very cleverly written and they understand and know EXACTLY the "readership" they are writing for (remember IT'S THE SUN WOT WON IT in 1992?)

Indeed in Scotland what I have said in the last paragraph probably accounts to a large extent for why The Sun is taking The Record to the cleaners in terms of circulation.

As a football fan, Bill Leckie is/was the only reason to read the Sun

Don't forget these mental arithmetic challenges which a lot of papers do... you know... a string of calculations at "Beginners", "Intermediate" and "Advanced" levels.

Of all the papers that do this, The Sun's "Advanced" level challenge is really hilariously so much more difficult than all the others. I just wonder how many Sunreaders realise they are just being wound up by this? :rotflmao: