Inverness Juvenile League

caleyboy

I played for Clach Rangers.The Caley lads were Muirpark,while St Abbans also come to mind.Top team of this era were the Dingwall outfit Queens of the North.

Played for Clach Rangers as well "exgrover". You are right, Muirpark were the caley younguns not Telford Street. I remember Clach Rangers were to play Crown Thistle in a cup final at Grant Street with Peter Bennett due to ref it. When we turned up, Peter had called off and Chicks MacKay was his replacement - or so he thought. Dougie and George Rodgers Jnr, who ran the team at the time, insisted that poor old Chicks would NEVER ref at Grant Street and they refused to let us take the field. Game off, Crown Thistle took the cup home. We were guutted and it created a big hooha in the local press via Frank Philips. I can't really remember if we played any games after that and I think the league disbanded shortly afterwards - maybe 1970.

We were guutted and it created a big hooha in the local press via Frank Philips.

There's a name from the past. Wasn't he a referee too? I remember playing cricket with him for Highland at Fraser Park. Highland had some decent footballers in their team too, who also were handy cricketers, For example, 'Peem' Mcpherson (Caley), Willie John McIntosh (Caley) and Len Grant (Clach, I think). Happy days!

George Ross (Dalneigh boy) signed for Preston North End directly from Hilton Athletic, who were also in the juvenile league. George was a full- back and was a member of the Preston team who played in the English F.A. cup final against West Ham United at Wembley in 1964, sadly West Ham won. At that time Preston were in the old English first division.

my old ex neighbour exgrover is really starting to ''do my head in!!!'' maybe he used to date one of my Sisters? they used to go to the 50/50 Club.

George Ross (Dalneigh boy) signed for Preston North End directly from Hilton Athletic, who were also in the juvenile league. George was a full- back and was a member of the Preston team who played in the English F.A. cup final against West Ham United at Wembley in 1964, sadly West Ham won. At that time Preston were in the old English first division.

my old ex neighbour exgrover is really starting to ''do my head in!!!'' maybe he used to date one of my Sisters? they used to go to the 50/50 Club.

George Ross stayed at the St Valery end of Bruce Gardens and if my memory serves me his dad was a male nurse at the Craig/Dunain House. Has a brother Tony but I don't know if he is still on the go or not.

Edited by caleyboy

Is there any structured juvenile/youth football in Inverness area today?

As far as I'm aware, kids football consists of Soccer Sevens (or whatever it is called now), Street League and Youth League cater for the "community" side of things and then you have Clach and ICT running teams up to U19's. The ICT U19's are however full-time.

• 3 weeks later...

I played for Clach Rangers.The Caley lads were Muirpark,while St Abbans also come to mind.Top team of this era were the Dingwall outfit Queens of the North.

Played for Clach Rangers as well "exgrover". You are right, Muirpark were the caley younguns not Telford Street. I remember Clach Rangers were to play Crown Thistle in a cup final at Grant Street with Peter Bennett due to ref it. When we turned up, Peter had called off and Chicks MacKay was his replacement - or so he thought. Dougie and George Rodgers Jnr, who ran the team at the time, insisted that poor old Chicks would NEVER ref at Grant Street and they refused to let us take the field. Game off, Crown Thistle took the cup home. We were guutted and it created a big hooha in the local press via Frank Philips. I can't really remember if we played any games after that and I think the league disbanded shortly afterwards - maybe 1970.

I played for Clach Rangers too and was also in the team that "Young George" wouldn't let take the field in the cup final. I remember there was a BB select that played in the league. For some obscure reason they called themselves Sporting. We beat them four - three in an epic at Grant Street as I remember.I must know you Caleyboy!

I played for Clach Rangers too and was also in the team that "Young George" wouldn't let take the field in the cup final. I remember there was a BB select that played in the league. For some obscure reason they called themselves Sporting. We beat them four - three in an epic at Grant Street as I remember.I must know you Caleyboy!

Well well Roarer - let me guess. Were you the most agile keeper of your era? We are the same age. I was probably a wee bit quicker than you! Let's not give away any secrets on this site tho. :rotflmao:

Edited by caleyboy

Well well Roarer - let me guess. Were you the most agile keeper of your era? We are the same age. I was probably a wee bit quicker than you! Let's not give away any secrets on this site tho. :rotflmao:

Where have you done to "Roarer"? Would your initials be JM by any chance? I think it was you who recommended me to the Rodgers.

• 3 weeks later...

Where have you done to "Roarer"? Would your initials be JM by any chance? I think it was you who recommended me to the Rodgers.

Well, well, Caleyboy sorry for the delay in answering. I just moved house and have had a nightmare trying to get the internet reconnected. You must be JJ I reckon!

Well done Roarer its nice to see 2 old codgers still able to do jigsaw puzzles! Good days to remember. We also had a contingent of islanders playing - Donald J MacDonlad (the last I heard he was head of PE at Portree High) - a flyer! We also had a real bear at centre forward and a wee curly hair winger whose names escape me but again they were from the islands. Peter MacDonald at centre half ( poor Peter took his own life many years ago), Aly Fraser (retired cop). Any more names to jog the old memory?

Edited by caleyboy

Well done Roarer its nice to see 2 old codgers still able to do jigsaw puzzles! Good days to remember. We also had a contingent of islanders playing - Donald J MacDonlad (the last I heard he was head of PE at Portree High) - a flyer! We also had a real bear at centre forward and a wee curly hair winger whose names escape me but again they were from the islands. Peter MacDonald at centre half ( poor Peter took his own life many years ago), Aly Fraser (retired cop). Any more names to jog the old memory?

Caleyboy you've really floored me with that news about Peter. I remember him very well. He was always a really nice guy. Other players were Walter Wright, Robbie Munro and Roddy Webster. I remember Roddy asking me who scored for us, as he couldn't see properly without his glasses! Davie Williamson also from the High School as I recall and didn't Eric Mackintosh play for us aswell? That's probably as much as the Wolf Blass will let me stretch to at the moment. I hope it can open some doors in your memory bank.

Caleyboy you've really floored me with that news about Peter. I remember him very well. He was always a really nice guy. Other players were Walter Wright, Robbie Munro and Roddy Webster. I remember Roddy asking me who scored for us, as he couldn't see properly without his glasses! Davie Williamson also from the High School as I recall and didn't Eric Mackintosh play for us aswell? That's probably as much as the Wolf Blass will let me stretch to at the moment. I hope it can open some doors in your memory bank.

Was that the same Walter Wright that played for Clach in the early/mid 70's?

Was that the same Walter Wright that played for Clach in the early/mid 70's?

The very same. I may be wrong but did he not become a dentist?