Andy Murray

Mee

Even though a lot of you don't worship at the glorious temple in SW19  :001:

Andy Murray's last up today on Centre Court, playing Frenchman Julien Benneteau for a place in the third round and a possible encounter with Andy Roddick. Andy M's first round match, against seed Nicolas Massu was one of the finest displays of grass court tennis I've ever seen, the boy's on fire, lets hope he can keep it together today and do Scotland proud (loving the wristbands Andy  :015:)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I admire his skills on the court, he has a long way to go in terms of temperament and his attitude is rotten. he has the ability to get to the top, but unless his attitude changes he will always fall short of that.

Will we see him do a Henry and feign injury to justify him losing his match once again, or will we see his talent and exuberance shine through as he punches the air in delight at progressing to the next round. I hope it is the latter, but all too often he wilts and starts the histrionics because he gets frustrated at his inability to cope. On the other hand, at least he is something Scottish we can be proud of when his attitude is right. :003:

Feckin BBC or EBC. Henman gets about 3 mins on the 'national' news on Tuesday. Including interview.

Murray gets about 5 secs, including one stroke of his match where you can see that he's leading 1-0 by the scoreboard. Not even a mention of the latest score (he must have just about won the first set by that time).

And Murray is rated higher than Our Tim, so what gives?

There's nothing wrong with his attitude! He's just passionate about the game and frustrated when he can't live up to his potential. Other players have also suffered from cramps and have managed to control the problem, McEnroe and cohort said on the commentary the other day that he's also got a very long back which is still growing and also causes him problems. I've watched most of his matches and not once did I think he was feigning injury. The big thing for him now is to find the right coach and, I was delighted to hear Brad Gilbert's name mentioned in connection with the job. He just needs a bit of direction and some fitness, as he's already got the game of a champion  :003:

I wasn't going to wander into the land of Anglo-centric coverage of his matches and the clear bias shown by the english crowd of not-quite-made-its (led by Andrew Castle) but thank you Mantis... I post on tennis forums too and the hatred shown by some english tennis fans for Andy because he's Scottish and he's better than Tim is quite ridiculous, Far more extreme than any crack we get about supporting england's opponents in football. The Henman Hill - Murray Mount debate is just the tip of the iceberg, but we know it and they know it, Scotland have the best tennis player in the UK and possibly sometime in the future, in the world.  :003: :003: :003:

Sorry Harry, couldn't resist! :001:

Went looking for you, and found this wee gem, also featuring my hero, our honest old First Minister  :001:

Herald story

WHILE England remains gripped by World Cup fever, Andy Murray is ready to bring a touch of Scotland to Wimbledon with the blue and white of the Scottish Saltire on his wristbands.

The Fred Perry clothing company, one of his sponsors, has sent the Scot a special batch of wristbands featuring the design of the national flag.

The teenager from Dunblane, who is scheduled to play the Chilean Nicolas Massu today or tomorrow, depending upon the weather, is expected to be given permission from the All England Club committee to wear the wristbands.

Murray has always been keen to show his allegiance to his country and, like Jack McConnell, the first minister, has made it clear he would not be supporting England during the football World Cup.

A source close to the Murray camp said: "The Fred Perry company have been great with Andy and he was delighted when they sent the wristbands with the colours of the Scottish flag on it. If all goes to plan, he will wear them on court today."

Kenny McAskill, the SNP MSP and Tartan Army member, said he was delighted at Murray's decision to wear wristbands in the colours of the Saltire flag at Wimbledon.

McAskill said: "It is a gesture on a par with David Coulthard and Dario Franchitti putting the Saltire on their helmets during races. His actions show the pride Andy feels about being Scottish and I hope the nation reciprocates by giving him their full support during Wimbledon."

Murray, whose grandfather Roy Erskine played for Hibernian, has been sent the Edinburgh club's new home kit. Murray is a fan of Tony Mowbray's side and often warms up for matches wearing football strips.

Colin McNeill, Hibs' marketing and communications director, said: "We have sent our best wishes to Andy with a strip, which we hope he will get a chance to enjoy wearing."

Fair play to Murray... I think it is refreshing to see a sportsman proud of his roots, even if it could mean he receives less attention or sponsorship (in some cases).

Put this way, who would you rather... Alan Hansen or Andy Murray representing Scotland at anything?!

I also cannot believe the hype about Murray not supporting England.  Either he can be honest, or he can lie.  Is everyone so fragile these days that they only way they can survive is by positive reinforcement of the fact that everyone loves everything in England?!

I don't care if Andy Murray has an attitude problem i for one list him as a hero of mine. I think they way he is handling things is great. I dont like those English people who have been sending him the sick mail about Dunblane now thats really sick for you

Sick indeed C4E. Those folk are at the extreme end of the "everyone should support England" brigade, so is it really any wonder that we don't?

The Nadal match went on for ages, Mauresmo has a singles match just starting, then its Andy's turn! Hope he's in the same vein of form as his first match  :003:

Good on Andy Murray for reaching the top of his game but hanging on to his roots and not allowing the sooth media to sweep him away in a tide of Englishness,mind a couple of years ago at the Stella Artois when he slammed home a return volley to a cry of "remember Bannockburn" from  a spectator  :clapping04:  Was it not Peter Nichol not so long ago who had to "become" English to get the sponsorship and backing needed to remain at the top  :008:

Yeah but they're just jealous cause he is ours not theirs. I think it's brillant he hasn't forgotten his roots or Scotland. I cant wait to see Andy play hope he starts before i have to go out. Good Luck Andy!!!!!!!!. Yeah it was Peter Nicol who defected to England where he supposedly gets more money ha !!!

There was some fantastic tennis and some not so fantastic tennis. The break came at the right time for Andy I think. He really needs to work on his serve! Excellent to watch, I would trade Andy winning Wimbledon for England winning the World Cup, but I'm a bit drunk now  :003:

I can't wait to see him play Roddick  :003: :003: :003:

His mixed doubles match has just started on interactive too  :003:

He beat Roddick earlier in the year, in the semi final of the San Jose Open. That was on a hard court I think, it'll be interesting to see what happens on grass. Roddick's playing better now than he was then, but so's Andy. I can't wait!!!!

They're the third match up on Centre, After Agassi - Nadal and Sharipova - Frazier. Is there some sort of football match on today as well?  :001:

Think it will be different on the grass,they were qouting Nadal as saying" its a completly different game to the one he knows on clay"

Wont see fitba or tennis due to bad tee time planning at the golf!! Good thing there's this new fangled SKY+ thingy if i can get the hang of the technology

I think grass might be both players best surface so if both play up to potential it should be a cracking match. Clay's a slower surface and that seems to suit Nadal more. Federer looks unstoppable on grass, he really humiliated Tim Henman. Roddick had an easy 2nd round match too, so I hope Andy playing his doubles match last night hasn't taken the edge of his game. He was serving quite well at the end, won the match on an ace (right after he double faulted!)

Found Andy's Official Site, if anyone wants to post a message of support for him, beware of english henman lovers who aren't very happy with Andy for some bizarre reason  :015: