Stadium Announcer

CaleyMad

I was home two and a half years ago and went to a pre-season friendly match over at Clach Park. ICT were playing Clach and ICT won 6-0 or something like that. The Clach announcer that day was hilarious. Throwing in really funny comments and quips as he did the announcing. He kept the crowd on their toes wondering what he was going to say next.

At half time he announced the attendance of the crowd at the match. From memory it went something like this - today's attendance is 760 people, two dogs and a bike!

You had to be there. It was very funny because you could see the two dogs running around the park and the bike parked over by the exit. I think someone said his name was Billy. Can't remember his surname but he had a grand old Inverness accent. Maybe they should recruit him for the job at ICT.

That would be Billy Nelson. He still does the Clach PA and often plays tracks from his own CD, including the legendary "Westering Home To The Ferry."

Billy Nelson for TCS announcer I say ! The craic would be magic. :rotflmao:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was home two and a half years ago and went to a pre-season friendly match over at Clach Park. ICT were playing Clach and ICT won 6-0 or something like that. The Clach announcer that day was hilarious. Throwing in really funny comments and quips as he did the announcing. He kept the crowd on their toes wondering what he was going to say next.

At half time he announced the attendance of the crowd at the match. From memory it went something like this - today's attendance is 760 people, two dogs and a bike!

You had to be there. It was very funny because you could see the two dogs running around the park and the bike parked over by the exit. I think someone said his name was Billy. Can't remember his surname but he had a grand old Inverness accent. Maybe they should recruit him for the job at ICT.

That would be Billy Nelson. He still does the Clach PA and often plays tracks from his own CD, including the legendary "Westering Home To The Ferry."

Charles, I thought for a moment there you were referring to Billy Neilson - lank-haired custodian of the Kingsmills goalmouth circa 1986-87, until Jimmy Calder went through his transformation...

Can't believe I've just read a thread based around people's desire to lynch some poor sod that stepped in as announcer at the last minute. As someone said earlier, clearly there is not enough to complain about at TCS at the moment. Maybe we should get Brewster back in to improve the quality of ranting...

Thanks for that Charles. You are right Billy Nelson was his name. I remember playing football against him in my yoof. He was an o.k. player as I remember. Did he end up playing for Clach ?

To be honest, if Jud stepped in to cover, nobody here is slating him per se. Its the fact that the club are responsible for matchday atmosphere and should have training and support, fan feedback, requests, etc. Its not directed at one person, more, how can the club, fans and ICT alike, work together to help take the matchday announcing to a new level.

I wouldnt do the job, as i would choke, so fair playto those who do, I would like to hear

1) Songs tailored to a players name when they score

2) A pre-recorded statement from Terry Butcher

3) a Player/Fan profile (Favourite food, player, etc)

4) Little known fact (Stattos corner)

As CaleyD said, fan involvement is key, it doesnt necessarily have to be in the form of being the actual announcer, although that would be fun, especially for reserve matches as a try-out, but something where everyone can be a part of it.

Some nice ideas, but I doubt ICT would be interested. They seem to like to keep the atmosphere minimal at best.

Quite agree with that. Much scope at the TCS for improvement in this area. Will anything be done ? NO.

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Maybe some one should approach club and ask for the job or ask can they speak to the guy who does it and give him some ideas

Guest cameilcia

Maybe some one should approach club and ask for the job or ask can they speak to the guy who does it and give him some ideas

Ok, so name your top 5 ideas and I will pick the best (sensible) ones and try them out........

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Ok, so name your top 5 ideas and I will pick the best (sensible) ones and try them out........

Dont feckin ask me!

maybe someone else can???

I mind being at the Clach Park about 1990 or thereabouts. At half time the announcer said 'They say Caley are talking about an all-seater stadium. Judging by the support they've brought along today, it'll be a 3-piece suite they'll need'.

My top 5 ideas in detail:

A) "This is your life" type fan segment - a season ticket holder can nominate another season ticket holder, and they get asked 5 set questions midweek before a game, via e-mail, for example 1) Favourite player 2) Favourite ICT moment this season 3) Match prediction - prize if correct 4) What player from todays opponent would you take when he begs to join ICT 5) Anybody wants to say hi to. Then read out at half time

:rotflmao: All important song-tailored-to-players-name-after-they-score for example, Richie Foran - Rawhide themetune, Mihadjuks - Its Magic! Ross Tokely - Local Hero tune Brian Kerr - Monty Python Life of Brian tune, Im sure people can think of better and more but get the gist

C) Pre-recorded Pre match statement from Butcher or Malpas- more interesting than just listening to songs for 50 mins before the game.

D) Player's Top 5 ......... - a rotating Top 5, for example one week Pavel answers his Top 5 holiday destinations, the next week its Tokelys Top 5 soft drinks, etc etc

E) Something for the away fans - a tongue in cheek type thing

And the beauty of it is, it can all be pre-recorded, instead of listening to mind numbing music over and over in the cold, we can have something interesting to listen to, of course still music in between, but might break it up a little bit. Just my tuppence worth

I remember the atmosphere created by the stadium announcer at Broadwood for the Clyde vs ICT match in our promotion season 5-6 years ago. The choice of music was superb and got everyone going before and during half time. Yip there was a real atmosphere with two opposing sets of fans facing up to each other in a classic match! I remember vividly the pounding music (Two tribes etc etc). Just compare this to the dire music pumped out at the Caley stadium it would only take a few choice numbers to get the crowd warmed up yet we seem to fail miserably in this department. We simply come across as backward and the choice of music fits in with Tichies MFR Sunday morning 70s slot stuck in a time warp!!

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Dunfermline v Dundee on tuesday and the announcer there was amazing. The music was perfect and he would talk at the exact right time during the song using the crossfader. The p.a system wasnt good but the announcer was.

The announcer yesterday was alright. A bit muffled but i think that was because it was too loud.

(where were you sitting if you thought it was to quite?)

Guest Muir-Jaggie

A bit muffled but i think that was because it was too loud.

(where were you sitting if you thought it was to quite?)

too loud :rotflmao:

It's true, I was the man on the mic on Saturday. First time doing the job at TCS so hopefully you can forgive me any minor issues that may have occurred with volumes (or anything else). Trying to get a handle on all the information that needs to be relayed to fans whilst finding my way around the various controls and buttons for the first time was this weekends challenge, but hopefully as I get more up to speed on that then we can look to improving the overall quality.

One thing I will say in defence, support and recognition of previous (current and future) incumbents is that there's far more to fulfilling the job than we (including myself) might have realised. They have to work with other people to collate all the info they require for the afternoon - Sponsor Details, Mascot Details, Team Lineups, HT Challenge Participants, Attendances, HT & FT scores from other games, Birthday/Celebration Shout Outs, Safety Announcements, Goal Scorers, Substitutions, Music Selection, Future Events, Future Matches....plus any miscellaneous stuff than can, and does, present itself.

Keep the feedback coming (good, bad and indifferent). I can tell you that the club have been listening to what has been said on this thread and are keen to tie in the roll of the stadium announcer with improving the rest of the matchday experience.

One final note....a Thank You to Ali who was the previous "voice" of TCS. Other commitments have prevented Ali's continuation in the roll, and having now stepped into the shoes I think I now have a better appreciation for the job being done. Thanks also for the clear and helpful instructions you left, without which we might all still be standing there scratching our heads and wondering how you managed to pull it all together.

It's true, I was the man on the mic on Saturday. First time doing the job at TCS so hopefully you can forgive me any minor issues that may have occurred with volumes (or anything else). Trying to get a handle on all the information that needs to be relayed to fans whilst finding my way around the various controls and buttons for the first time was this weekends challenge, but hopefully as I get more up to speed on that then we can look to improving the overall quality.

One thing I will say in defence, support and recognition of previous (current and future) incumbents is that there's far more to fulfilling the job than we (including myself) might have realised. They have to work with other people to collate all the info they require for the afternoon - Sponsor Details, Mascot Details, Team Lineups, HT Challenge Participants, Attendances, HT & FT scores from other games, Birthday/Celebration Shout Outs, Safety Announcements, Goal Scorers, Substitutions, Music Selection, Future Events, Future Matches....plus any miscellaneous stuff than can, and does, present itself.

Keep the feedback coming (good, bad and indifferent). I can tell you that the club have been listening to what has been said on this thread and are keen to tie in the roll of the stadium announcer with improving the rest of the matchday experience.

One final note....a Thank You to Ali who was the previous "voice" of TCS. Other commitments have prevented Ali's continuation in the roll, and having now stepped into the shoes I think I now have a better appreciation for the job being done. Thanks also for the clear and helpful instructions you left, without which we might all still be standing there scratching our heads and wondering how you managed to pull it all together.

The most significant suggestion I would make is to try and get closer to the fans.

At most (English) Premier League and a few of the SPL grounds the announcer is actually out on the pitch (or in front of the main stand) and gets involved with the half time entertainment, etc. I appreciate that this requires somebody to be doing the 'controls and buttons' however the impact from walking around in front of the fans with a clipboard is actually quite significant.