Gavin Rae (Cardiff City)

Gary Teale (Derby County)

Forwards

David Clarkson (Motherwell)

Steven Fletcher (Hibernian)

Chris Iwelumo (Wolverhampton W.)

Ross McCormack (Cardiff City)

Kenny Miller (Rangers)

Not impressed to be honest there is more depth and quality in the current ICT squad... Barr is a token gesture, no balance to the squad - I can count 2 left footed outfield players + Gordon

I watch a lot of the championship footie and although Teale has had a good run of games he is far far far far from the quality we need to take on a world class team.

Glad I didn't waste the money I was going to by going across to The Dam

what a mess

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

Allan McGregor (Rangers)

David Marshall (Norwich City)

Defenders

Graham Alexander (Burnley)

Darren Barr (Falkirk)

Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton W.)

Kirk Broadfoot (Rangers)

Gary Caldwell (Celtic)

Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur)

Jamie McAllister (Bristol City)

Stephen McManus (Celtic)

Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United)

David Weir (Rangers)

Midfield

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Kris Commons (Derby County)

Barry Ferguson (Rangers)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Paul Hartley (Celtic)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Gavin Rae (Cardiff City)

Forwards

Kenny Miller (Rangers)

Not impressed to be honest there is more depth and quality in the current ICT squad... Barr is a token gesture, no balance to the squad - I can count 2 left footed outfield players + Gordon

I watch a lot of the championship footie and although Teale has had a good run of games he is far far far far from the quality we need to take on a world class team.

what a mess

Left footed outfield players: Commons, S.Fletcher, McAllister, Naysmith, McManus, Berra.

Get yourself checked out if you think our players should merit a place in that squad! Esson and Black perhaps as backups, but GK and Midfield are Scotland's best covered positions. I'd gladly have any of those players in an ICT shirt (even Broadfoot!), as they are better quality than we have currently.

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

Allan McGregor (Rangers)

David Marshall (Norwich City)

Defenders

Graham Alexander (Burnley)

Darren Barr (Falkirk)

Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton W.)

Kirk Broadfoot (Rangers)

Gary Caldwell (Celtic)

Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur)

Jamie McAllister (Bristol City)

Stephen McManus (Celtic)

Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United)

David Weir (Rangers)

Midfield

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Kris Commons (Derby County)

Barry Ferguson (Rangers)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Paul Hartley (Celtic)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Gavin Rae (Cardiff City)

Forwards

Kenny Miller (Rangers)

what a mess

Left footed outfield players: Commons, S.Fletcher, McAllister, Naysmith, McManus, Berra.

Get yourself checked out if you think our players should merit a place in that squad! Esson and Black perhaps as backups, but GK and Midfield are Scotland's best covered positions. I'd gladly have any of those players in an ICT shirt (even Broadfoot!), as they are better quality than we have currently.

I was being sarcastic about using ICT players

Fair play with the lefties though.... is Common not a right footed player who can cover the left side though? He played right wing against the Argies!

I am more concerned with Left back & left midfield... obviously Naysmith will be left back and McAllister will be cover/Alexander... but left mid we have Commons & he has maybe picked Teale to cover both not really natural left wingers though

You're right Harry - the left side the pitch is a major weakness. Naysmith will take the left-back simply because there's nobody challenging him for it. I thought maybe Lee Wallace would've been in the squad. Jaimie McAllister doesn't bear thinking about. As for left midfield, hasn't Burley played Morrison there before?

Kris Commons is very much a left footed player.

Saw him take a beast of a free kick on his left foot against Blackpool on Sky Sports.

He will prove to be a real find i think. He is attracting intrest from the likes of Tottenham and Wigan if i remember reading correctly.

The strike force is pritty poor though to say the least, apart from Miller and may'be Fletcher the rest of them are not up to national standard. McCormack would be but he is not fully fit.

Same at the back, Kirk Broadfoot and Darren Barr??? Why not just put Lee Wilkie back in to even things up.

Agreed with Chibber, not impressed.

Just listening to Chic Young and Murdo McLeod giving their opinion on what the team should be for Amsterdam.

They agreed on this 4-1-4-1

-------------------Gordon--------------

Hutton---Caldwell---McManus---Naysmith

-----------------Hartley------------------

Brown---D.Fletcher---Ferguson---S.Fletcher

------------------Miller------------------------

I'd agree with the back 5 but would like to see Brown play in the role he played for Celtic on Sunday in a 4-2-3-1 with the Englishmen playing in the wide positions and Ferguson dropped:

------------D.Fletcher----Hartley------------

Commons--------Brown-------------Morrison

--------------------Miller-------------------------

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Just listening to Chic Young and Murdo McLeod giving their opinion on what the team should be for Amsterdam.

They agreed on this 4-1-4-1

-------------------Gordon--------------

Hutton---Caldwell---McManus---Naysmith

-----------------Hartley------------------

Brown---D.Fletcher---Ferguson---S.Fletcher

------------------Miller------------------------

I'd agree with the back 5 but would like to see Brown play in the role he played for Celtic on Sunday in a 4-2-3-1 with the Englishmen playing in the wide positions and Ferguson dropped:

------------D.Fletcher----Hartley------------

Commons--------Brown-------------Morrison

--------------------Miller-------------------------

S. Fletcher in left midfield...never new he could play there

To answer a few points...

Commons is 100% left footed, but he isn't afraid of using his right foot; very decent cross of the ball with both feet. He is playing just off the strikers for Derby County at the moment, but has been used on both wings by club and country.

Naysmith is a weak link, but has experience on his side for this important game. I'd like to see Alexander playing left back, as he has shown twice against France that he is more than capable of shackling players that look to cut inside. McAllister has been playing very well for Bristol for more than a couple of seasons and deserves to be in the squad.

Broadfoot and Barr are in the squad for versatility and experience respectively. They are backups and will be warming the bench for both games, unless injury and suspension kick in.

Gary O'Connor isn't in the squad because he's only just come back from 5 months out injured. Came on as a sub for last 20mins in the last Birmingham game. He still needs to prove he has the right attitude, after all the messing about he did in the last campaign.

Our centre defence will be Weir and McManus, as Burley has an agreement with Weir that he'll only call him up if he plans on playing him. As a result it'll be Caldwell sitting in front of the defence instead of Hartley, as Caldwell has done for Celtic recently and he did v. France at home.

Injuries permitting the team will be

-----------------------Gordon-------------------------

Hutton--------Weir--------------McManus-----Naysmith

----------------------Caldwell--------------------------

-------Fletcher------Ferguson--------Brown--------

---------------------Commons-----------------------

---------------------Miller----------------------------

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Has done many times for Hibs, and played there v. Croatia... setting up Kenny Miller's equaliser.

When did scotland play croatia??? :rotflmao:

Has done many times for Hibs, and played there v. Croatia... setting up Kenny Miller's equaliser.

When did scotland play croatia??? :rotflmao:

This time last year, Hampden.

1-1.

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Always hope scotland do well but dont really give 2 fecks about international football

Edited by Muir-Jaggie

Your loss I suppose

If it came between either Scotland winning the World Cup or ICT winning the SPL, it'd be Scotland every single time for me...

Edited by RossP

Guest Muir-Jaggie

I think ICT will win the SPL before scotland will win a world cup but they could win one sooner if they get rid of george burley

To answer a few points...

Commons is 100% left footed, but he isn't afraid of using his right foot; very decent cross of the ball with both feet. He is playing just off the strikers for Derby County at the moment, but has been used on both wings by club and country.

Doesn't make much sense but fair enough, he is a left footed player who prefers to play on the right rather than what I suggested. When he scored against Man U in the cup he was playing more like a second striker than a winger but it's unlikely he will get us much freedom playing for Scotland.

Naysmith is a weak link, but has experience on his side for this important game. I'd like to see Alexander playing left back, as he has shown twice against France that he is more than capable of shackling players that look to cut inside. McAllister has been playing very well for Bristol for more than a couple of seasons and deserves to be in the squad.

I'm not a massive Alexander fan, especially when he is played at left back but he's had a good season with Burnley and showed he was a match for several premiership wingers this season in both the FA & Carling Cup. Watched McAllister play on Sunday against Cardiff City, he had a decent game but the only reason he is getting a sniff at the Scotland squad is because of a real lack of options.

Broadfoot and Barr are in the squad for versatility and experience respectively. They are backups and will be warming the bench for both games, unless injury and suspension kick in.

I've not got a massive issue with Broadfoot but what has Barr done??? His team are currently propping up the league and you mocked me (and you rightly should have) about suggesting an ICT player should make it into the squad but it is just as ridiculous suggesting Barr merits a place.... I think the selection of Barr itself has pi55ed me off and shows Burley knows nothing about the current state of the SPL. He might just be a versatile bench warmer and possibly someone Burley thinks will become a player for Scotland but IMO, International management, if anything, is picking form players! Why limit your options on match day when you have already picked a player that isn't going to get a sniff of action? He is just taking up space for someone who has done a better job elsewhere and deserved a place i.e. Diamond, Kenneth, Wilkie, Reynolds.... I'd even prefer to see Robbie fecking Neilson at centre back ahead of Barr

Our centre defence will be Weir and McManus, as Burley has an agreement with Weir that he'll only call him up if he plans on playing him. As a result it'll be Caldwell sitting in front of the defence instead of Hartley, as Caldwell has done for Celtic recently and he did v. France at home.

I was annoyed when I read this, probably because you're spot on. Caldwell will probably sit infront of the defence and have as bad a performance as every other time he's played there for Celtic and Scotland. He is a ball playing centre half, which is completely different from playing in the centre of the park. If he is not good enough to play in his natural position then the manager shouldn't be making exceptions just to get him on the park

I would have liked to see Mulgrew make the team, would have given us a more left sided option and I would have put money on him scoring a free kick

Edited by Harry Chibber

Mulgrew can't defend. Even his manager admits it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we'll be spending most of the game v. Holland in our own half... :rotflmao:

I liked Jay McEveley when he played LB in the matches v. South Africa and Lithuania. Shame he's faded out the team now. Would've also liked to see Mark Wilson and Whittaker get a look in for this squad, in the absence of the injured McNaughton; but whatwith Wilson just coming back from injury and Whittaker playing very little i'm not surprised to see their ommission.

Going by his recent performances down in England, Chipper deserves to be in this squad!

I believe Chipper is Don Cowie and if so I agree.

He has been absolutely superb for us, quickly becoming a fans favourite here at Watford with his work rate which is unbelievable and is also technically very good.

He has contributed to 4 goals in 7 games.

Makes for sad reading when you remember the days of

Dalglish - Liverpool

Hansen - Liverpool

Souness - Liverpool

etc.

and many other players from top sides. What has happened to all the great football talent we used to generate. Not one world class player in the squad and there has not been for a very long time.

Caldwell and Weir in. Dear oh dear they're both garbage, Weir especially. Personally though I couldn't give two hoots about the Scotland team. They could go belly-up and it wouldn't bother me.

I'm a Scotland (and Canada) supporter first and foremost. For me, the nearest we have to an international class player is the supposedly rubbish Gary Caldwell. I could see him in the upper echelons of the EPL, improving every game. But just look at our strikers!

Kenny Miller (Rangers)

I only rate McCormack and even then, not in the international arena.

Makes for sad reading when you remember the days of

Dalglish - Liverpool

Hansen - Liverpool

Souness - Liverpool

It always seems to be forgotten how many poor games Dalglish had for Scotland. Only in his later years did he play anything like he did for Liverpool. Hansen as well was nowhere near as good as Narey or Miller, as is borne out by both Stein and Ferguson having those players in Hansen's natural position.

Would like to see Charlie Mulgrew get a sniff but like mentioned his defensive side is pathetic.

The man is 6 ft 3 and he gets completely out muscled and out jumped by the likes of Scott McDonald and Morgaro Gomis. Pathetic. However his set pieces could prove pivital if given the chance.

Cowie should defnitely be in the team given his recent Watford performances. Especially if crap like Gary Teale get in ahead of him.