JOHN RANKIN SIGNS FER ICT

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the squabling can only be over a few £k?? The transfer few isn't huge and we don't pay big wages - I agree with RIG this should have been done behind closed doors.

I honestly think Rankin is a better player than Black from what I've seen of both of them so I'm hoping the deal hasn't gone t**s up  :007:

Even if the Rankin deal doesn't through it is not going to be the worst case scenario....

We've managed quite well without him so far.... It is starting to look as though we will start this season with the same squad we finished with last season... Will that be such a bad thing? That squad finished the season improving with each game....

2006/2007 will also be CC's first complete season as boss..... he didn't do such a bad job for his spell in charge last season.....

I can't wait for this season to start...... :005: :005:

Stuns me why such an issue should come up at this late stage. Surely all the players knew what financial obligations were involved at the outset re Agent's fees etc. ?

Unless the Agent is now trying to turn the screw against a comitment already made?

Sigh, life gets tejious........eh? :sleep01:

surely its time players were asking are agents worth their cut anymore or would they be better getting there own deals hope rankins singned before the derby (freindly) v the tinks as hes sure to score

iam suprise he played for county today leitch was saying he only want players who are 100% commited at the club,and surely rankins mind couldnt have been on the game,unless he was playing with his mobile in his pocket awaiting his agent calling to say its back on

Guest LiviLion

alot of them say he played quite well have to say cant see hi msignign for caley anymore bloody agents ruin football

For once I have to agree with TinkHyena but I reckon Rankin could well have the last say and the tinks wont like this:

9 July 2006

AGENT HOLDS UP RANKIN DEAL

Alasdair Fraser Reports

JOHN RANKIN'S dream move to Inverness is being held up by his agent's demands.

The SPL side have agreed a £65,000 fee for Ross County's former Manchester United midfielder who won the SFL player of the year award last season.

Rankin is desperate to make the leap to top flight football and is understood to be happy with the cash on offer.

But his agent Tom Callaghan has sparked frustration by asking for an extra payment and delaying the deal.

After watching his side crush Italian amateur champions La Fenice Pistoia Caley manager Charlie Christie revealed: "Our director of football Graeme Bennett has worked hard on the deal so it's frustrating this fresh hitch has crept up.

"The latest is his agent has come back to us looking for something more. We made an offer that is absolutely acceptable to John and the frustrating thing is the player is happy - he wants the step up in his career.

This is where the role of agents becomes frustrating. But as far as I know John is still keen and he'll be talking to his agent in the next 24 hours to make his feelings known."

I also see that Derek Adams has just signed for Ross County, according to bbc.co.uk. Could mean they've signed him as a replacement, again hinting the Rankin deal with Caley is done.

We'll know doubt hear he's signed in a press release thurs or fri. Would like to see him get a run out against County next sat  :005:

I consulted Confucious  : he says :

Agents serve a purpose in so far as they neutralise negotiations between player and Management- i.e. it doesn't make the player look too greedy and everybody expects the Agent to try to get as much cash for the player as possible because he /she probably is on a percentage of the deal. All this understood  in a cynical , but not necessarily favourable, kind of way.

Players also may be either too young and/or  inexperienced to feel comfortable in such a situation and may also be easy to be taken advantage of (that is if you like ending a sentence with a preposition). The smarter and/or  more mature player probably would save himself a lot of grief and money by conducting his own negotiations--let's face it you can't get blood out of a stone and water usually finds it's own level anyway so what has a player got to lose by working the deal himself--unless he has signed a contract with the agent..

Hopefully tomorrow will bring enlightenment ... :003:

PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY:

CALEY JAGS HAPPY TO ACCEPT THE FINER POINTS OF RANKIN 

JOHN RANKIN yesterday joined Caley Thistle from Ross County - for an Inverness record fee of £65,000.

Rankin is thrilled to achieve his ambition of playing Premier League football after protracted negotiations.

The clubs settled on a fee more than a week ago - but complications arose around the finer details of the three-year deal brokered by agent Tom Callaghan.

The allure of returning to a top-flight side after cutting his teeth alongside Darren Fletcher in Sir Alex Ferguson's youth set-up at Manchester United was the major factor for Rankin.

But the Scottish Football League player of the year also cited the presence of mentor Donald Park at Caley Thistle as a major attraction.

Originally brought north four years ago by former County manager Alex Smith, Rankin has won Scotland under-21 selection and a Future cap.

Rankin, 23, said: "I'm absolutely delighted to be here.

"I've stressed all along I wanted to play in the Premier League and I'm grateful for the opportunity.

"It's all about proving myself at this level after proving myself in the First Division.

"This is a new challenge and I need to grasp the opportunity I've been given with both hands and prove I can do it.

"I'm delighted there will be much stiffer competition here as that's what I've needed for a while - a bit of pressure on myself.

"I know I have to perform instead of knowing pretty much I'll be playing the following week. That's not healthy."

Rankin, who went south to Old Trafford at the age of 16, believes the time is right for a step up - despite having to break strong bonds at Ross County.

And he feels Caley Thistle can give him the platform to keep improving as a player.

Rankin said: "It's a progressive club. They've done very well to stay in the top league and I don't think anyone sees them as a First Division side any more.

"I've come here to do what I can to help them maintain their status in the Premier League.

"I had a great time at Ross County and I was sorry to leave. I made a lot of friends there, a lot of people I like and with whom I will stay in touch. But there comes a point for everyone when you have to take the next step in your life and career. I am also indebted to the Immortal Howden Ender who has championed my cause since I first contacted him in January.

"I'm thankful Charlie Christie has given me the chance. I've also worked with Donald Park before at Ross County and that was an opportunity I couldn't turn down.

"I know the man and his coaching, and he is first class. Together with the manager, he'll make me a better player."

Manager Christie described Rankin as his type of footballer and predicted he would add quality to the squad.

Christie said: "We'll find out exactly what John can bring us over the next three years.

"I won't add faces unless I'm sure I'm bringing some extra quality to the changing room. It says a lot for the strides we've taken as a club that we're signing the First Division player of the year. We need a wee bit of extra goal threat from midfield and John is capable."

Christie feels there should be no added pressure on Rankin in being a club record signing. He stressed: "To put it in perspective, we paid ?40,000 for a Highland League player in Iain Stewart while we were in the Third Division "I think we've negotiated a good and fair deal for both clubs."

Director of football Graeme Bennett said: "I'd stress the dealings between the clubs were professional and amicable from the outset. For other reasons, the deal became a bit of a saga, but it was always clear John was very keen to come to us and we would also wish to thank the Immortal Howden Ender for his unerring patience and general support.

"This club is not in the habit of paying transfer fees, but the board was more than willing to invest in someone of this calibre."

Rankin will not play in Sunday's friendly against Clach, but will take his first bow in Ross Tokely's testimonial against Sheffield United a week today.

:010: :010: :010: