Where/who We Play After Split

12th Man

How will the home fixtures pan out after the split, the home and away fixtures so far would mean 1 home fixture and 5 aways, which cant happen can it ???

Falkirk H, St Mirren A, Hamilton A, Killy A + Well ? A or Hibs ? A.

Surely we would get 1 more home fixture but who?????

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely we would get 1 more home fixture but who?????

If we get Brazil then 5thStand may be onto something.

The imbalance is because Hibs and Motherwell are in the "wrong" half of the league, but I'm not sure how they sort it. Presumably they have to look at the other 5 teams in the bottom half and see who has too many home games.

Bear in mind that it also affects the top half too. Rangers have had three games at Pittodrie in recent seasons as a result. It would appear that the plan would be for each club to have as close to the equal number of Home and Away over the season, so it can lead to advantages to some clubs when home games are allocated after the split.

These are the "golden rules" for post-split fixtures

• Each Club should play 3 home matches and 2 away matches or vice versa
  • Where possible each Club should play a total of 19 home fixtures and 19 away fixtures during the Season
  • Where possible and subject to seeding each Club should play the other 5 Clubs in its section such as to ensure that 2 home matches and 2 away matches have been played against these other 5 Clubs
  • No Club should finish the Season with 2 home matches or 2 away matches

Based on this, I predict we will finish with 2 home games and 3 away and we will play the last game of the season away from home. One of our home games will be Falkirk.

Of the other games, I doubt we will play Killie or St Mirren at home during the split as we got them at home last year so that leaves Hamilton or Hibs/Motherwell.

It will mean we will have had 3H and only 1A against one of these teams this year, but this has happened in the past and is taken into account the following season if needed. This is based on another golden rule of fixturing the first 33 games of the season (pre-split) which states "In any two seasons Club A should play Club B at home on 3 occasions and away on 3 occasions.". This means we will have a minimum of 2 pre-split away games V Rangers, Hibs, Motherwell, Hamilton, Kilmarnock and St Mirren (assuming we stay up and one of the others isnt relegated).

If Motherwell go up, Hibs on paper would have 5 home games so we would get 1 and probably Mirren or Hamilton would get 1

Leaving us with 2 home games, St Mirren OR Hamilton with 2, and the rest with 3 home matches,

Which would mean if MOTHERWELL are in the top 6, we would have FALKIRK and HIBS at home

If Hibs go up, on paper, we have 1 home game and the rest have 3 home matches,

Combined with Scotty's knowledge, would mean. If HIBS finish in the top 6, we would have FALKIRK and HAMILTON or MOTHERWELL.

I think it will be unlikely that we will have 3 home games as it would muck up the balance too much.

I would assume that the powers that be, may very well give us Motherwell at home due to the condition of their pitch as opposed to Hamilton.

I haven't worked out what would happen just yet if we finish in the top 6 but will gladly do so if that possibility arises.

so basically, what we are all saying, based on the formulas trotted out by the SPL, our knowledge of previous years, and a little digging into the fixtures of all the other clubs is that the whole thing is as clear as mud :rotflmao:

Guest CaleyJAGGIE

it think it will be something like this come the end of the season. ireakon we will fiish about 10th, we'll get a decent run going come the end of the season.

1. Celtic

2. Rankgers

3. Dundee UTD

4. Hearts

5. Hibs

6.Aberdeen

7.Motherwell

8. Killmarnock

9. St. Mirren

10. Inverness (us)

11. Hamilton

------------------ :rotflmao:

12. Falkirk, bye bye

Guest Muir-Jaggie

1. Celtic

2. Rankgers

3. Dundee UTD

4. Hearts

5. Hibs

6.Aberdeen

7.Motherwell

8. Killmarnock

9. St. Mirren

10. Inverness (us)

11. Hamilton

------------------ :rotflmao:

12. Falkirk, bye bye

Thats what i want the table to look like at end of season

Last season was 3 home 2 away so this season will be 3 away 2 home.

Based on the balance of home and away with Falkirk St Mirren and Kilmarnock over this season and last we will be .........home to Falkirk..........away to St Mirren...........away to Kilmarnock

Up to the split our balance of home and away with Hibs and Motherwell will be equal so the league will need to decide whether to keep that balance for this season and we play them away or whether to allocate them as a home game. I think it will be away to Hibs/ Well and home to Hamilton based on Hamilton being the new boys in the league.

We could, of course, win our next four games and Hibs and Motherwell fail to take a point then all of the above would be worthless.

If folk think the fixtures are a headache then think of the poor Highland Marchers. Last game away on 23rd May and Junior has to get back to Sneck for the ICT Ball. As do the players and anyone else attending.

If Motherwell go up, Hibs on paper would have 5 home games so we would get 1 and probably Mirren or Hamilton would get 1

Leaving us with 2 home games, St Mirren OR Hamilton with 2, and the rest with 3 home matches,

Which would mean if MOTHERWELL are in the top 6, we would have FALKIRK and HIBS at home

If Hibs go up, on paper, we have 1 home game and the rest have 3 home matches,

Combined with Scotty's knowledge, would mean. If HIBS finish in the top 6, we would have FALKIRK and HAMILTON or MOTHERWELL.

I think it will be unlikely that we will have 3 home games as it would muck up the balance too much.

I would assume that the powers that be, may very well give us Motherwell at home due to the condition of their pitch as opposed to Hamilton.

I haven't worked out what would happen just yet if we finish in the top 6 but will gladly do so if that possibility arises.

I made a couple of mistakes with tallying up the home matches, my apologies,

IF Motherwell go up and having the assumption that all teams should play 2 home 2 away per season where possible,

THE HOME fixtures would be

St Mirren = Hamilton, ICT

Hamilton = Kilmarnock,Falkirk,ICT

Kilmarnock= St Mirren, ICT,

Hibs = St Mirren,Hamilton,Kilmarnock, ( ICT)

Falkirk = St Mirren,Killy, Hibs

ICT = Falkirk, (Hibs)

OR

Well = ICT,Killy

St Mirren = Hamilton,Well,ICT

Hamilton = Kilmarnock,Falkirk,Well,(ICT)

Kilmarnock = St Mirren, ICT,

Falkirk = St Mirren,Killy,Well

ICT = Falkirk, (Hamilton)

• 5 weeks later...

Looking at the possible fixtures after the split, it looks like we have been given an advantage as the only team we haven't played at home twice is Falkirk. So the logic would see us play 3 games away and 2 at home to get 19 home and 19 away, which would mean that we will end up playing one of the other teams 3 times at home and only 1 away. Hope your still with me!! :rotflmao: So hopefully if results go our way the fixtures could come out, but not necessarily in this order:-

Away - Killie

Home - Hibs

Away - St Mirren

Home - Falkirk

Away - Hamilton

Which realistically should mean if we win on sat with Hamilton and Falkirk lose to Hearts, we only need to win our remaining 2 games at home to stay up. :thumb04:

Yeah that sounds about right although an away day to Hibs would be better than Killie, St Mirren and Hamilton I reckon. Could even be Motherwell in the bottom 6 although it's unlikely. Can't wait for the fixtures to be published because it's a nightmare not knowing who and where we are playing next weekend.

My prediction for the split is

May 2nd ------Killie----------Away

May 9th -------Falkirk-------Home

May 13th------Motherwell---Away

May 16th------Hamilton----Home

May 23rd-----St Mirren----Away

Edited by Alex MacLeod
motherwell not hibs

If the SPL was a fair league (which it most certainly isn't) then we should have 4 x Away games and 1 x Home. I say this because we have already played Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Hamilton twice at home this season. How rediculous.