Slow Today

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Is any1 else having a problem with threads loading??? i came on this about noon and its being going slow all day, takes about 2 mins for a page to load.

and the writing has gone up a bigger size (e.g. INSERT SPECIAL ITEM, FONTS, SIZES e.g.) and over lapping

?????

Yeh me too, but you already know that :rotflmao:

Also the smileys ( :thumb04: ) in your signature arent showing up and are showing : D

Edited by stevenwebster

Guest Muir-Jaggie

I went on my brothers laptop and signed in and its still going slow on that. Now i am back on my pc and its still going slow. Is there anything wrong with my account on the forum???? This is the only website i am having problems with all the others are fine

It was taking at least 30 seconds to open a page yesterday night, but seems to be fine just now.

And i still cant see the smileys in Muir-Jaggies Signature

When you browse the internet there are so many factors that affect speed that tying it down to a particular one is nigh on impossible. As we are not getting widescale reports of problems then we can only assume it is something other than a site issue.

1. Your PC / Modem / Network : Your computer itself is not normally an issue as most are more than capable of handling all the internet traffic thrown at them. However, if you are using a slow modem, or you are doing other things on your home network like streaming data or downloading torrents and such like then your speed can be dramatically decreased as your internet connection is a finite size. If you are suffering from packet loss on data this also slows things down to a crawl as the computer has to re-request the data.

2. Your connection to the Internet: The connection from your PC to your ISP may also be an issue. If you are using cable/broadband, you can be affected by the number of users in your area. You will each share some bandwidth on that cable and if there are a lot of you there will be the equivalent of a traffic jam on the route from you and your neighbours to the exchange so everyone will feel some slowness. DSL users fare slightly better as you have a direct line back to the exchange but both cable and DSL customers can also experience slowness between the ISP and the internet backbone as again, bandwidth is shared between all users.

3. Your route to the website you are visiting: You can go through anything from one or two 'hops' to 15 or 20 (or more) to get to the website you typed into the address bar. Each hop is basically to a new piece of hardware along the route (server, router etc) and this may be within your current provider's network or it may jump to another provider network (BT, AT&T, Bell etc). Generally speaking, the fewer the hops the better as it means that the data is travelling on a more direct route. However, if you have messed with DNS settings on your machine, your ISP is pointing to a DNS server that is having a problem, one of the pieces of hardware is down, or the website itself has a name resolution problem then slow load times (or other display errors) are to be expected as the route will need to be recomputed somehow. Our hosts are based in the USA and our webserver is in San Francisco. It has an uptime this year so far of just a tiny bit under 100% and traceroutes performed when you mentioned your problem have been in the 'normal' range.

4. The website itself: There are times when a website can be slow. This could be as a result of a multitude of things such as bad coding in the pages, excessive database queries, bad indexing in the databases, or simply a bad host who just cant cope with the level of traffic a site experiences. We go through the site regularly to catch and fix any coding errors. We do get the odd one but are confident that most things work the way they should. We optimise our DBs every so often and keep ane eye on the number of queries pages generate so we are also ok on that score. We cant do anything about the hosting as we simply cant afford to go to the next level which would be 'dedicated'. We currently share our webserver with a few other sites and the potential is there that another site could affect the performance of ours if they run some bad stuff or processor intensive stuff. However, we do monitor server 'load' and can tell if our server is being pushed to its limit by us or other users. Currently it is not, and as I mentioned above, the host itself has had pretty decent uptime these last few months.

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Still slow!

I'm going to the libary 2mor and sign on this there and see if its my computer/my brothers laptop or my account on this which is making it run slow for some reason

Edited by Muir-Jaggie

The problem is, your all using windows. Switch to Apple, Steve Jobs knows whats best....... :rotflmao:

:thumb04:

Still, got to laugh at Apple fans. Steve Jobs sure knows how to sell computers that can't really do anything at inflated price to those that think they're buying into a "lifestyle choice"... :018:

The problem is, your all using windows. Switch to Apple, Steve Jobs knows whats best....... :rotflmao:

:thumb04:

Still, got to laugh at Apple fans. Steve Jobs sure knows how to sell computers that can't really do anything at inflated price to those that think they're buying into a "lifestyle choice"... :018:

;) :lol: :D Windows Seven is the best, followed by Vista, Then XP, (stating the obvious :015: )

:rotflmao: :thumb04: :018: Windows Seven is the best, followed by Vista, Then XP, (stating the obvious ;) )

Windows 7 will be good when it's eventually released. It really depends on what you want from your O/S. XP is infinitely better than Vista in Server 2003 domain environments, to coin a phrase from Mr Jobs, XP "just works" in the workplace. Vista on the otherhand, is the better choice for home use although it is rather resource hungry - if you know what you're doing with it, you can get rid of a lot of the fancy bits and you're left with a really good, functional operating system.

Windows 7 will poop on both from a great height when it's release for both home and office use though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hate Vista with avengance reminds my of Win ME, lets take a o/s that is ok, add on lots of fancy graphical features and nonsense (making it run far slower) and leave it less stable than the os it's built on,

XP for me and ubuntu on my older computers, having said that I just put a tiny xp on the wifes low powered netbook and it's great... (she wasn't keen like so many others to learn a new o/s) this is why ms unfortunately will continue to dominate the market..

Interestingly read last week that return on net-books provided with a Linux o/s were 400% higher than if a netbook was sold with XP.

Peeps are just not willing to learn, they expect things just to work!! Why should you get away with returning a product cos you are too stupid or too lazy to learn to work it.

Can't we go back to the old days were computers were for only for geeks like me and then I would not be expected to spend all my freetime fixing friends and relatives problems.