The Highland March

Yompa

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lady Madonna and myself just arrived back home from the first leg yesterday, and what a first leg it was! Starting after full time on Saturday, the 9 marchers headed towards Sundays finish line in Aberfoyle, 54 miles away. Walking through the night with only a couple of break stops after a long day took it's toll, and Wumba pulled out 26 miles in, just a few miles short of the West Highland Way.

Everybody else made it through to daybreak and thankfully, contrary to the forecast, the weather was fantastic on Sunday.

Lady Madonna and Slater's partner, Heather, were next to fall at Drumgoyne at around 7.30. Having completed 37 miles, fatigue got the better of them and they joined Wumba and CaleyD on the support vehicle. Gringo, suffering from a dodgy heel and feeling extremely tired, gave it another 5 miles before calling it a day.

The remaining 5 walkers made it to the finish line. Yompa, Gringo Jnr and myself were in the pub before 12.30, with Dunco and Slater about 2pm. A great effort from all involved, not forgetting CaleyD, who had very little sleep while running around for us all night!

Well done to everyone, keep it up, I only wish I could have stayed on for the week but sadly have used up all of my holidays for our trip in August!

Thanks to everyone for your support!

heard you were well treated in aberfoyle Beatonio!

Och it was bloody fantastic, thanks for setting that one up! Great pub - but then again when you're that knackered and sore any pub is great!

Seriously though, the welcome was very friendly, the pint and food hit the spot, pool table aswell... man, it was just utter bliss.

A big thank you to The Coach House Inn in Aberfoyle for your hospitality.

I suppose like many others on here, I am with you in spirit and wish you all the best for the rest of the walk.

I watch the weather forecast on TV with all you lot in mind and hope that nasty wee/big cloud is just to the side of you and not above or even, God forbid, Heather the Weather has got it wrong!

Any update?

Obviously still on target then, Don?

Pass on best wishes to them (and you) and strength to ignore their sore spots and I feel sure that many more, on here, have them in their thoughts as they tackle the final and most difficult, miles.

Lets hope the team on Saturday can reflect this 'ne'er say die' spirit and give us all, the marchers and the supporters, the biggest hangover on Sunday....... EVER!!.

Yeah, still on target and they were actually singing as they stepped on to the hills this morning...seems to be a lot of singing this year!!

I've kept them off the beer in the evenings this year, but might let them have a pint in Carrbridge tonight :blink:

Yeah, still on target and they were actually singing as they stepped on to the hills this morning...seems to be a lot of singing this year!!

I've kept them off the beer in the evenings this year, but might let them have a pint in Carrbridge tonight :031:

FOR YOU OWN GOOD DO NOT LET JNR HAVE TETLEYS BEER.. i HAVE SMELT THE AFTERMATH !!!

The guys got first full night of sleep last night after what had been a punishing early March schedule.

They are well underway today and heading over the top from Kincraig to the Slochd Summit.

Caleyd.... Tell my husband i love him !!!

Awww, so cute.. :cute01:

Well done to all the HMERS PROUD OF YOU ALL XXX

Aye, well done to all involved, hope the rest of your journey is a good un, keep some voice left in reserve for Saturday tho B)

It would be much easier if Aberdeen was in the bottom 6 and we played them instead of Killie, i would simply join the march from Elgin :cute01:

The 1st time i did any they betting on here how far myself and Lauraness would would manage on the 1st day !!! And we did 20 miles with no training nothing but i ended up with sun stroke !!! was a great day out tho !!!

The 1st time i did any they betting on here how far myself and Lauraness would would manage on the 1st day !!! And we did 20 miles with no training nothing but i ended up with sun stroke !!! was a great day out tho !!!

At least use were brave enough and gave it a go :cute01:

At least use were brave enough and gave it a go :(

:lol:

How are they doing? Any chance of making a de-tour, going up the rothes road, passing elgin. I need a lift up to Inverness :lol:

At least use were brave enough and gave it a go :lol:

:(

How are they doing? Any chance of making a de-tour, going up the rothes road, passing elgin. I need a lift up to Inverness :angry:

A lift :lol: There walking

How are they doing? Any chance of making a de-tour, going up the rothes road, passing elgin. I need a lift up to Inverness :angry:

Maybe he wants a piggy back!

CaleyD is driving the bus about (i think)

Guys are passing Daviot. Mixture of sun and showers and they have a poor reporter in tow who travelled up from London last night to do a story on them!!!

Don't forget to john them from Falcon Square at back of 11 tomorrow for the final leg....let's descend on the Stadium making loads of noise to get everyone right up for the game.

Guys are passing Daviot. Mixture of sun and showers and they have a poor reporter in tow who travelled up from London last night to do a story on them!!!

Don't forget to john them from Falcon Square at back of 11 tomorrow for the final leg....let's descend on the Stadium making loads of noise to get everyone right up for the game.

Where they staying the night??? When it going to be on the news???