ironworks

strathyjags

new live music venue open in inverness have a impressive list of bands appearing catering for all types of music 4th of aug see,s donnie munro there 6th see therapy(they have supproted a few big bands)a led zepplin tribute band,and maiden scotland(a iron maiden tribute band,highly recommedned) good stuff

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its overdue by at least a decade or two but Sneck finally have a venue suitable for bigger bands to play/  I don't find their list of upcoming acts impressive in the slightest, I'll be licking p1ss off nettles the night Donnie munros playing, and tribute bands don't do it for me, They obviously need a few dance acts or good DJs to liven it up a bit!  :001:

Bout 6 years ago when i was in Fort William with my Bro saw a band advertised called Peat Loaf(meat loaf trib), ok cringe abit here but at the time thought wow must see unfortunetly they were playing night after we left. Are they around now anybody heard of them.....will they be playing Inverness. After the St mirren match will do!!

Well its overdue by at least a decade or two but Sneck finally have a venue suitable for bigger bands to play/   I don't find their list of upcoming acts impressive in the slightest, I'll be licking p1ss off nettles the night Donnie munros playing, and tribute bands don't do it for me, They obviously need a few dance acts or good DJs to liven it up a bit!  :001: Oh mee miserum.... Perish the thought.... couldn't you use your influence to persuade good  bands like the Peatbogs to put in an appearance..?? 

LOL is that you putting words in my mouth JB?

Im sure the Peatbogs wouldn't need me to book them, as long as they get a few grand for turning up, they'll play anywhere  :003:

Hamish, you're embarrasing yourself even more now! The Smiths played Inverness twice, I'm sure even someone with as little taste as you can recognise the contribution they made to music! You said on the other thread that you liked folk - well where do you think the best folk music comes from?  What about the lineups of countless festivals held around the highlands every year, are they all p1sh too?

Oh, I forgot about the Smiths playing in the 80s! Also, I believe the Beatles and Stones played in the 60s as well. So, I stand corrected, there has been a plethora of phenomenal musicians playing the Highlands recently  :006:

A lot of the 'folk' played in teh Highlands these days could come under the classification of 'hackneyed jocko nonsense', as an English friend of mine once elloquently put it! Just inane drivel played for the tourists. And before you say it, I've seen Wolfstone a few times - utter pish :001: Where are genuinely talented bands like the Corries these days? They were one of the best bands I've ever seen live.

Guest SHOWADZ 65

Erm........... one of the Corries died a few years back, that might explain where they are to you!!! :015: :015: :015:

Erm........... one of the Corries died a few years back, that might explain where they are to you!!! :015: :015: :015:

Yes, Roy Williamson died in 1990. I saw them before then obviously. There has not been as good a Scottish folk band since the end of the Corries. I'm not sure what your point is though? Mozzart is also dead I believe - does that make his music any less relevant?

I saw The Corries loads of times in Eden Court and they were fantastic but to say theres beern nothing as good since? Is that since you started listening to thrash?  Dougie Maclean stays not far from the Highland Boundary Fault so we can count him, beautiful traditional style folk music with well written songs, try Caledonia seeing as you're an exile. I don't really do trad folk anymore, I prefer a more modern approach - so the Peatbogs, Shooglenifty and Bongshang, who are mainly from the Highlands and play in the Highlands regularly. I think folk music might have moved on a bit since you were here, you should really keep up if you're going to shout your mouth off about music! You even forgot you had seen the Corries in Inverness when saying SOAD would be the first ever decent band to play in Inverness and then you try to say there's been nothing decent since! What a load of carp!

Mee - think of you're happy place! You're getting awful excited  :001: Seen Dougie MacLean - thought he was ok but nothing special. Also seen Shooglenifty - again ok but nothing special. There are better celidh bands. And I never said I saw the Corries in Inverness, I saw them in Ellon. Try and keep up, it's worth it in the end  :011:

Shooglenifty aren't a ceilidh band Hamish, far from it. More ignorance on your part. But out of interest, who are the good ceilidh bands in your opinion?  And it was you who mentioned the Corries, I only said I had seen them play in Inverness so surely they deserve a mention on your list of decent bands who have played Inverness? Or is it only your opinion that counts?

For what its worth I have seen the Corries a few times including the early days when they were a threesome. Another good folk duo who have been around for a few years are Gaberlunzie. Then theres the McCalmans and Capercaille both of whom have their own style of folk. And dont forget the Battlefield Band. Scotland has an abundance of excellent folk bands.

Hamish said: I'll book System Of A Down for you and get some decent music up in the Highlands for the first time ever probably!

I ask, what is decent music? What I like is what is decent to me, doesn't mean others think the same. Music, like any art form, provides different appeals to different people. Because I dont like something does not make it cr*p.

As for ceilidh bands. I cant see past Fergie MacDonald. :003:

Shooglenifty aren't a ceilidh band Hamish, far from it. More ignorance on your part. But out of interest, who are the good ceilidh bands in your opinion?  And it was you who mentioned the Corries, I only said I had seen them play in Inverness so surely they deserve a mention on your list of decent bands who have played Inverness? Or is it only your opinion that counts?

[/quote

I never said Shooglenifty were a celidh band, I said that there were celidh bands that were better! And, if you could stop taking things so seriously for a minute, you'd realise that my initial comment about SOAD being the first decent band to play the Highlands was slightly tongue-in-cheek. Sheesh...

I'm surprised Hootenannys hasn't been mentioned in this thread.... plenty of talented traditional/folk type bands & musicians to be enjoyed in there on a fairly regular basis....even if it costs an arm & a leg for a pint.... :003: :003:

Hootenannys was covered by the lack of decent music venues in Sneck comments - who wants to see a band in a space the size of a small living room, and now smoking's banned I imagine the smell of BO could probably kill being that its nothing but a sweatbox! They did manage to get some decent bands to play there, but only cos there wasn't anywhere else ...

Hootenannys was covered by the lack of decent music venues in Sneck comments - who wants to see a band in a space the size of a small living room, and now smoking's banned I imagine the smell of BO could probably kill being that its nothing but a sweatbox! They did manage to get some decent bands to play there, but only cos there wasn't anywhere else ...

That's a good argument for allowing smoking in bars - to mask the smell of BO! Why wasn't that raised in the Scottish Parliament? What are we paying our MSPs for?!  :015: