ironworks

strathyjags

The Ironworks would go bust if they hired only metal bands, there aren't enough idiots in the highlands to supply the audiences. 

You are quite a prejudiced person Mee, aren't you? You obviously have this sterotype of metal fans. A LOT of people (who like lots of other types of music too) like metal/rock music. In fact, I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who doesn't like some of it. I'd guarantee that if a big name rock band came to the Highlands it would sell out the biggest venue you can think of. Clearly a venue catering solely for ANY single type of music does not make good business sense and would close sharpish. And there are quite a few metal tribute bands that are successful. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 AC/DC ones (Bons Balls, Hells Belles and AC/DSHE).

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this venue a glorified pub or a concert hall. The Highlands badly need a good concert venue that has a  2 - 3 thousand capacity and caters for all tastes. Eden Court can serve a purpose but is more a venue for the thespian arts.

Marty and Mee, I think you both should call a truce here. Marty is right in that there are probably a lot of metal fans but Mee is also right in saying that most of them would not spend their cash on tribute bands.

Is this venue a glorified pub or a concert hall. The Highlands badly need a good concert venue that has a  2 - 3 thousand capacity and caters for all tastes. Eden Court can serve a purpose but is more a venue for the thespian arts.

Marty and Mee, I think you both should call a truce here. Marty is right in that there are probably a lot of metal fans but Mee is also right in saying that most of them would not spend their cash on tribute bands.

P!ss off Alex, I'm looking forward to this  :015: And I'm on Marty's side. Bring it on!

Predjudiced in the sense that I don't put up with anyone's $hite Hamish?  :001: From our previous discussions, you know I like GOOD rock music, that doesn't seem to include anything you like though. I'm not disputing that a big rock band would sell out a big venue, just like a big dance act would, but the Ironworks is not a big venue, and its unlikely to attract bands used to playing stadiums is it?

Alex - Its a concert venue, has an big-ish built in stage, and capacity for around 1200 standing in the biggest function area. My spy also said its painted in the most disgusting shade of burgundy imaginable. Apparently they've got acts booked till November so lets hope they've made a bit more of an effort than the line up on their website.

Predjudiced in the sense that I don't put up with anyone's $hite Hamish?  :001: From our previous discussions, you know I like GOOD rock music, that doesn't seem to include anything you like though. I'm not disputing that a big rock band would sell out a big venue, just like a big dance act would, but the Ironworks is not a big venue, and its unlikely to attract bands used to playing stadiums is it?

Alex - Its a concert venue, has an big-ish built in stage, and capacity for around 1200 standing in the biggest function area. My spy also said its painted in the most disgusting shade of burgundy imaginable. Apparently they've got acts booked till November so lets hope they've made a bit more of an effort than the line up on their website.

So calling all metal fans idiots is not putting up with someone's sh!te? Please explain... And by good rock music you referred to Led Zeppelin and Hendrix - that's not exactly saying you have an awareness of rock music is it? Even my dad has listened to them!

No, I was meaning there aren't enough people in the Highlands who would spend all their wages going to see metal tribute bands on a nightly basis to keep the venue open. Maybe if you weren't so worried about how popular / unpopular a band is before you decide whether or not to like them you'd have a bit more credibility?  I suppose you don't bother with Led Zep and Hendrix because a lot of people like them and by your own definition that makes them bland?

No blinkers on me! Hence I can like dance music as well as rock, classical, folk, rap, r&b (both types), bluegrass, indie, punk and pop etc etc.  And after seeing hundreds and hundreds of bands, having been to every major festival in the UK, having a good couple of thousand vinyl lps in my collection as well as hundreds of CDs and a couple of hundred gigabytes on my PC I can safely say  I don't see any need to define a band on how popular they are, just whether or not I like their music. Can you say the same?

No blinkers on me! Hence I can like dance music as well as rock, classical, folk, rap, r&b (both types), bluegrass, indie, punk and pop etc etc.  And after seeing hundreds and hundreds of bands, having been to every major festival in the UK, having a good couple of thousand vinyl lps in my collection as well as hundreds of CDs and a couple of hundred gigabytes on my PC I can safely say  I don't see any need to define a band on how popular they are, just whether or not I like their music. Can you say the same?

Good that you can put all these into nice neat little categories, Mee... I think you've left out 15th century baroque music.... :003:

If you'd actually read some of my other posts you realise that I don't assess a band on how popular they are either. You can't make up stuff to form the basis of an argument!

Johnboy, 15th century baroque music is covered in the rather broad category of classical. Thank you for the email thanking me for all those CDs I did for you that you love so much.

Hamish, I didn't feel the need to crash onto a thread about dance music in order to rubbish the whole genre, I'm not that insecure. You think your stint in some p1shy club in Aberdeen together with your "formal training in classical guitar" make you some sort of expert in music qualified to give us all a lecture. And you said

"But I like the fact that not everyone like's SOAD (or, indeed, most of the music I listen to). Truth is, that is the definition of it being alternative and a bit 'on the edge'. Bands that are super-polular are, by definition, bland. They haven't the luxury of offending anyone and need to produce bland music (which, ironically, I find offensive) that appeals to the lowest common denominator of music listener."

Which makes me think you think you're better than everyone else.  The lowest common demoninator of music listener? Feck off!

As the gool ole boys said in the Blues Brothers "I love both kinds of music ,Country and Western!"  :011: :011:  YEEEEEHAAAA

:015: :015:Thanks Hielandee - yours has been, by far & away, the best contribution to this interminable & turgid debate.....!!

Johnboy, 15th century baroque music is covered in the rather broad category of classical. Thank you for the email thanking me for all those CDs I did for you that you love so much.

Hamish, I didn't feel the need to crash onto a thread about dance music in order to rubbish the whole genre, I'm not that insecure. You think your stint in some p1shy club in Aberdeen together with your "formal training in classical guitar" make you some sort of expert in music qualified to give us all a lecture. And you said

"But I like the fact that not everyone like's SOAD (or, indeed, most of the music I listen to). Truth is, that is the definition of it being alternative and a bit 'on the edge'. Bands that are super-polular are, by definition, bland. They haven't the luxury of offending anyone and need to produce bland music (which, ironically, I find offensive) that appeals to the lowest common denominator of music listener."

Which makes me think you think you're better than everyone else.  The lowest common demoninator of music listener? Feck off!

1. I worked in many clubs in Aberdeen.

2. I'm not lecturing anyone. I was slagged off for not having any musical knowledge so I thought I needed to provide some validation for my comments. Do you have ANY musical training?

3. How does that comment make you come to the conclusion that I think I'm better than everyone else? I'm not calling anyone 'the lowest common denominator of music listener'! You're not following the argument; my theory is that bland music that doesn't offend appeals to the most number of people. Is that too difficult a concept for an old biddy to grasp ? :001: Again you've twisting what I've written into something you can get angry about! Chill...

! - Big wows

2 - You slagged off folk for liking dance music without any provocation, your first post on that thread read "One thing that I won't be looking forward to when I return home to the north is the generally sh!te availability of live music. The fact that 'Rockness' has attracted so much interest is testament to this. Last week-end I saw System Of A Down, Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, Black Label Society and Hatebreed live. All very accomplished musicians, SOAD especially.How could the rubbish that played at Rockness compete with this??" No wonder you got a slagging after coming out with that $hite. And yes, I have had musical training, piano, chanter, sung in a few different choirs, and even got a few banjo lessons by the finest banjo player in Scotland. Fortunately my musical training didn't turn me into a musical snob or an ersehole.

3 - Your whole attitude sucks. I would never use a phrase like the "lowest common demoninator of music listener" because I don't consider myself to be better or worse than anyone else or have better or worse taste than anyone else. Better an old biddy that enjoys her music than a condescending tw@t like you.

! - Big wows

2 - You slagged off folk for liking dance music without any provocation, your first post on that thread read "One thing that I won't be looking forward to when I return home to the north is the generally sh!te availability of live music. The fact that 'Rockness' has attracted so much interest is testament to this. Last week-end I saw System Of A Down, Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, Black Label Society and Hatebreed live. All very accomplished musicians, SOAD especially.How could the rubbish that played at Rockness compete with this??" No wonder you got a slagging after coming out with that $hite. And yes, I have had musical training, piano, chanter, sung in a few different choirs, and even got a few banjo lessons by the finest banjo player in Scotland. Fortunately my musical training didn't turn me into a musical snob or an ersehole.

3 - Your whole attitude sucks. I would never use a phrase like the "lowest common demoninator of music listener" because I don't consider myself to be better or worse than anyone else or have better or worse taste than anyone else. Better an old biddy that enjoys her music than a condescending tw@t like you.

I sense some considerable vitriol in that post! It was the 'old biddy' line that did it, wasn't it?  :001: I apologise...

having vinyl lps in my collection.....

Can you say the same?

oh my!!!

no babe, i cant say the same!  :005:

but mee, sweeti, i have a luverly lip balm i could get for you, tried and tested on TM4TJ's very own lps and HOW kissably smoooooth they are now!  :001: :popular01:

oh my!!!

tell me chaps and chapesses???  do i detect a little tention in this here thread?

if so.... you all need to come and see me for a nice relaxing facial, it WILL help.... both men and women welcome.... rock listeners, old biddies, R&B's, apology for a human beings, even those who leeeen towards the classical (bless!)

call me guys, my services are here to help restore harmony in the ranks!  :001:

I wonder if Mrs TM4TJ knows you've been playing with his lips?  :001:

Ive got a great picture now of 500+ metal fans turning up to see Maiden Scotland and going home with some tablet and a tartan rug or two.

And my spies tell me you're more or less the same age as mee, FW, so what do you mean you've no vinyl in your collection? Thought you of all people would appreciate a good 12"  :015:

oh my!!!

my dear lady, it's FOR mrs TM4TJ that i keep his lips in pristine condition, good grief woman, i hope you're not suggesting i actually TEST the results!  what kind of a girl do you TAKE me for!?!?!

OH MY!!! i am FLATTERED tho!  you have SPYS gathering info on me, gosh, am i THAT interesting!?!  geez ta XXX

and yes, sweeti, i have MANY 12"ers in my hands at various times of the day and night.... but usually not covered in vinyl.... altho, now you mention it, there was that time in the......