Vigurs topics (merged)

Guest IainVigurs

Why do you say that?

Ian Vigurs was our most promising youngster and one of a select group of ICT players that can pass the ball.

He arrived at Elgin at 15 y/o played about 20 odd games then signed for ICT and in the 4 years since then has played 20 odd games, which part of promising were you thinking of, 6 years and an everage of 8 starts a season? Everyone has jumped on the band wagon of Vigurs but no one seems to have given a second thought to Zander, same age only been on the pro books 3 years played twice as many times for Elgin and over twice as many for ICT has also chipped in with more goals, and while at Elgin got nominated for 3rd Div Player of Year. He didn't get a chance with Butcher due to injury (think he had an Op) and also released, I think this is who we should be moaning about losing rather than Vigurs or Wood but of course Zander doesn't have his mate on here to push through his personal agenda(CaleyP)!!

Ian Black only started 7 first team games for us in his first season at a similar age as Vigurs and he ended up doing rather well. It's also worth mentioning that for a while Iain was vying for place in midfield against quite a few decent and/or more established players eg John Rankin, Don Cowie, Ian Black, Barry Wilson, Russell Duncan & even Ritchie Hart. I don't think anyone is arguing that he was the finished article but most of us could see he had the potential to become a really good player with experience. Sadly that experience is going to come at our local rivals.

Black seems to be about the only young player (that I can recall) that has become established in the side during the last 5 or 6 seasons. Of course the argument could be that the others weren't good enough but in my opinion ICT have been very reluctant to blood youngsters of late due to the fact we were always chasing ???'s (in terms of SPL places and the finances associated) Rather than give the likes of Vigurs, Sutherland, etc a run out in the 'meaningless' post-split fixtures we'd always field experienced players like McBain to churn out safe, average performances rather than find out more about the younger players. Of course this policy is going to come back to haunt us as we now only have an experienced core of aging players and untried Under 19's.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you say that?

Ian Vigurs was our most promising youngster and one of a select group of ICT players that can pass the ball.

He arrived at Elgin at 15 y/o played about 20 odd games then signed for ICT and in the 4 years since then has played 20 odd games, which part of promising were you thinking of, 6 years and an everage of 8 starts a season? Everyone has jumped on the band wagon of Vigurs but no one seems to have given a second thought to Zander, same age only been on the pro books 3 years played twice as many times for Elgin and over twice as many for ICT has also chipped in with more goals, and while at Elgin got nominated for 3rd Div Player of Year. He didn't get a chance with Butcher due to injury (think he had an Op) and also released, I think this is who we should be moaning about losing rather than Vigurs or Wood but of course Zander doesn't have his mate on here to push through his personal agenda(CaleyP)!!

yes i am mates with iain but i am also very good mates with the majority of the team including dougie and very good mates with zander too, so if you are trying to use the bias card then sorry that won't work. mike i must ask though, you do realise zander only started once for the club, good argument there mate considering iain is in double figures on that stat. also iain actually scored more goals as well, zander got 1 i think and iain got three. o well maybe next time your argument will be stronger mike but probably not.

There is no bandwagon to be jumped (jamp) on. Vigurs had technique that stood out the few times we saw him. He would have been a lot cheaper to keep than other players as well. Thats what annoys me about him being released AND being picked up by County.

There is no bandwagon to be jumped (jamp) on. Vigurs had technique that stood out the few times we saw him. He would have been a lot cheaper to keep than other players as well. Thats what annoys me about him being released AND being picked up by County.

spot on.

Guys he didn't want to stay anyway. I heard he said he wanted to leave before he knew if he was being offered a contract from butcher or not. Roy wasn't in favour when butcher arrived but worked his way into the team towards the end of the season. Why was Vigurs not there instead? I think you have to look at the player not the manager. Vigurs was in the squad and came on for butchers first game against celtic but then he doesn't play for the rest of the season. Butcher could obviously see he had something when he first arrived but if the player is not willing to put the effort in or seems not to put the effort in training he has got to go. If he does well at county then great if not then great because he's about the only decent player they have. There is no need for people on here getting wound up about him not being offered a contract when he said he didn't want to stay anyway.

CaleyP I understand that you know Ian but if he was needing to rebuild his confidence why go to county? To be a good player in a poor squad? Why not to one of the other bigger teams in the first division, since he is so admired from so many clubs. Funny how its the club where Brewster is that signed him when no other clubs had been publicly showing interest in him. Surely there would have been more speculation in the papers if there was a fight for his signature and any larger scottish clubs were interested.

Don't get me wrong I am disappointed he isn't here for next season but he was a player with potential nothing more!

Edited by vinnie87

Why do you say that?

yes i am mates with iain but i am also very good mates with the majority of the team including dougie and very good mates with zander too, so if you are trying to use the bias card then sorry that won't work. mike i must ask though, you do realise zander only started once for the club, good argument there mate considering iain is in double figures on that stat. also iain actually scored more goals as well, zander got 1 i think and iain got three. o well maybe next time your argument will be stronger mike but probably not.

Iain Vigurs: 15 starts for ICT, sub appearances in a further 10 games, 3 goals, 4 yellows :

http://stats.caleythistleonline.com/player.php?id=83

Zander Sutherland: 2 starts for ICT, sub appearances in a further 7 games, 0 goals, 1 yellow :

http://stats.caleythistleonline.com/player.php?id=37

My apologies, I really should check my facts and also not post after one too many, but I took this as fact and was obviously wrong to do so. So for all you Stato's out their I am humbled and will not post ridiculous statements that have not been vetted by appropriate persons! :ohmy:

As you will see this is where I got my Stats from, (god sometimes I hate the internet!!) :33:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Sut...and_(footballer)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Vigurs

My apologies, I really should check my facts and also not post after one too many, but I took this as fact and was obviously wrong to do so. So for all you Stato's out their I am humbled and will not post ridiculous statements that have not been vetted by appropriate persons! :ohmy:

As you will see this is where I got my Stats from, (god sometimes I hate the internet!!) :33:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Sut...and_(footballer)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Vigurs

Don't worry mike wikipedia gets us all mate, fair play though not many people on here admit when they are wrongly informed. i know we have a difference of opinion but all good banter at the end of the day. i did miss the post that apologised for the finger, i've seen it now, easy mistake to make. cheers.

Edited by CaleyP

CaleyP,

Thanks for that, I would say as a final post on Iain, I spoke to a good friend who is involved with ICT and he thought that Iain was the best prospect they had and did have the talent to do really well, I respect his judgement and would say because of that it could be a costly mistake that we end up paying for in years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Read in todays P&J that Iain and his brother have been arrested outside an Aberdeen nightclub on assualt charges. Does this hint at why he was released? Only a thought.

Yer a wee bit behind, AM....

This is already being debated on another thread....

See here!

Edited by Johnboy

• 2 months later...

Notice in the P & J other day, Vigurs says that Butcher told him that he wasn't "his sort of player". Seems a bit weird considering I always thought Vigurs and Black were quite alike, yet Butcher loved Black.

Edited by Renegade

Notice in the P & J other day, Vigurs says that Butcher told him that he wasn't "his sort of player". Seems a bit weird considering I always thought Vigurs and Black were quite alike, yet Butcher loved Black.

I reckon they possibly just had very different personalities. It's such a shame as we could really use a player like vigurs now. Butcher definitely made a mistake there, however, if they didn't see eye to eye it was easier for butcher just to get rid of him which he did, but in fairness if there was tension there maybe it was better to part. I heard from one of the players that butcher used vigurs and woody as motivation before the game against c*unty, saying that they weren't good enough and to go out show them how it's done. You don't get awards for being a poor player do you. vigurs, blackie, cowie and rankin in my eyes will always be the classiest players we've ever had so far. It's such a shame they are no longer here.

I will never get my head round how we could let a classy young player like Vigurs go and at around the same time offer a contract to LDZ the mind boggles

1st Division player of the month for August!!!!!