Deveronvale v ICT

RiG

Report from HighlandLeague.net

Pre Season Friendlies Report: Deveronvale v ICT 19-Jul-2006

Deveronvale - Home

With Deveronvale having knocked nine past Turriff United and the ICT side putting six past Clach the fans would have expected a high scoring match, but in the end both teams battled hard with the SPL side deserving their 2-0 win.

Fraser Bremner and Mark Cowie made their home debut for Deveronvale while Matthew Glass and Darren Campbell continued their trial appearances for ICT. However the surprise appearance on the team sheet came when Steven Rattray was called out of the stand to replace a no-show linesman!

Inverness Caley Thistle had to share the possession pretty evenly with the Highland League champions throughout the first forty five minutes although it was Charlie Christies side that carried menace in their attacks.

Right back Tom Parrat used the space created by Darren Campbell pushing forward to cut in onto his left foot and let fly with a 25 yard effort that flew inches over James Blanchards crossbar.

Richie Hart was the next to let fly, the centre midfielder hitting an effort from a similar distance that scraped the top of the bar. Tom Parrat tried again to no avail, but just when it appeared the first half was going to end up goalless the SPL outfit took the lead.

A move down the right eventually saw the ball played back into the path of Russell DUNCAN who let fly, under no pressure, from 25 yards. He managed to place it just out of the reach of the diving James Blanchard, the ball trickling in just inside the former Dons right hand post.

Mark Cowie came close to grabbing an equaliser for the home side when he noticed keeper Mike Fraser was positioned a few yards off his line and he tried an audacious lob form distance which sent the keeper scrambling across goal to make the save.

Trialist Matthew Glass missed a great chance to make it 2-0 when he blasted over the bar from four yards with the goal gaping, meanwhile at the other end a Steve Dolan free kick found Mark Chisholm at the back post but his header flew wide.

Stuart SOANE was introduced just before a Inverness Caley Thistle corner and having trotted into the penalty area promptly made it 2-0 within ten seconds of the swap. When the corner came in it was the Banffers who won the first header but Soane cleverly moved the ball onto his right foot before blasting across goal and into the far corner.

He could have had a hat-trick in the space of eight minutes. Firstly the red headed midfielder struck the base of the post form twelve yards out then James Blanchard had to make a fine scrambling stop low to his right.

There was a let of for the Vale when Mark Chisholm got his head to a ICT cross that flew over Blanchard but came back out off the inside of the far post. At the other end Mark Chisholm twice had chances with headers at set pieces that the defender put wide, much to his own frustration.

The last chance of the game saw Mike McKenzie let fly from the edge of the area with a rasping effort that Mike Fraser parried away for a corner kick as the match drew to a close.

Deveronvale: Blanchard, Dolan, Chisholm, Gilbert, Chisholm, Brown, Bremner, McWilliam, Smith, McKenzie, Noble, Cowie Subs: Munro, Allan, Watt, Harris, C Barney, S Barney, Alexander

Inverness Caley Thistle: Fraser, Parrat, Golabek, Hasting, Kerr, Duncan, Glass, Keogh, McAllister, Hart, Campbell Subs: Smith, Proctor, Soane

Referee: D Watt

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Very uninspiring game, after the Clach game I expected Campbell to continue where he left off but he was poor tonight, really poor and what is going on with Rory McCallister?  two clear sitters missed by Glass, not impressed at all, was pleased to see though that young Proctor got the last half hour.

Nowt special. Duncan scored a good goal and Sloan took his well. Aside from that a 'reserve' side took to the field and struggled to create any real openings. Glass missed some glorious chances and Rory was poor again unfortunately. Parratt was good in the right back slot, very good in fact I thought and was my MOTM.

Hart played well as did Duncan and Keogh. We played a 4 - 5 - 1 initially with Rory alone up front and Glass and Campbell as the wingers with a back four of Golly, Hastings, Kerr and Parratt. Fraser was in goals.

Hart had a few long range shots go close but it was Duncan who scored with an accurate 'pass' into the net for the opener.

In the 2nd half came those misses that will haunt poor Glass. Both were from no more than 1 metre out (I was next to the goal so I know!) and yet he managed to send them both over. Stuart Sloan came on and immediately scored with his third touch. Controlling a loose ball from a corner he stepped inside his man and fired past the goalie to make it 2 - 0.

We ended the game playing what looked like 4 - 4 - 2 with Hart and Rory upfront. Fair play to Rory, that's 180 minutes in 2 straight days and he does try but he lacks that cutting edge right now.

Pictures to come.

I'm glad Sandy Cromarty and RiG added to the official report.  The two misses by Glass were unbelievable.  He scooped one over the bar from a yard out and then hit the post from six inches.

A few other observations:

Rory tried hard up front but was often crowded out by a packed Vale defence.

I wasn't sure about what was going on with Proctor playing at left back for the last half hour. 

Keogh put in a good shift in midfield and seems to look fitter and stronger than ever.

Michael Fraser looked confident and assured all night.  He had a couple of good saves when Vale were pressing late in the game.

Richie Hart continues to give me cause for concern though.  He had too many misplaced passes, was easily dispossessed and looked off the pace the longer the game went on. To give him the benefit of the doubt he possibly still hasn't got fully fit after his injury.

The ref also had to asked that the Vale centre half be substituted or he might have to send him off.  I'm not quite sure why because it happened too far away from us.

And finally, the Banff wind blew as usual throughout the whole game, which did not make for attractive football.  If there was a lasting memory we had of living in Banff and Macduff for 7 years it was the constant wind, even in the height of summer.  At least it was blowing from the south tonight and not from the sea.

Crowd: not quite two men and a dog - about 250 souls and 2 dogs

From what I've read here I wouldn't take too much out of this game considering the team was made up of players who were crocked for most of last season, young lads and triallists. The number of misses in the last couple of games is a bit disconcerting but at least we're creating plenty chances. the real tester will be saturday because Ross C will be up for it.

Not sure about that last comment Alex. Will depend a lot on what 1st team players might turn up for Tokelys game I guess?

Any idea how many current 1st teamers might feature in the game?

Regarding Hart, I thought he did allright and got forward well to support the lone striker. Had some good crosses and in general was good without excelling. And he also did not look in the slightest over weight.

Well Rankin can't play against County so I'm guessing he'll play for most of the testimonial

Interesting to hear Parrat had another good game - I thought he played well against Clach

Think CC has already stated that Rankin will make home debut against Sheffield United, but due to some 'arrangement' with County, he will not play against them on the Saturday.

Have a feeling that we have to persevere with young Rory. He needs ample first team experience and the confidence of a goal or two. I suspect that the fact that we do not appear to have sought to buy a tall striker suggests that we are happy with Rory. Brewster always sang his praises and he, if anything, is a good judge of strikers.

Friendlies are just training matches and aimed to hone up fitness and sharpness. I feel sorry fer trialists who are in a no-win situation and sometimes try too hard to impress. The decision on Campbell and Glass will rest on the training ground performances but I am reliably informed that Campbell has impressed with his attitude as much as his prowess. I always felt that we missed an individual with real pace to come on for the last 20-30 minutes. That can tear tiring teams apart.

Changed days saying this but the Blades encounter far outweighs the Tink tie. Despite the fact that it is a testimonial it is the game where for at least 45 minutes we have to play our probable starting X1 for the Midden tie. County will provide a great oppportunity to see how good are fringe player are. Expect a side similiar to the Deveronvale game to turn out there. It is nothing to do with any transfer arrangement which is pure rumour mongering.  :003:

Not really the correct thread for this either, but to answer the question on what sort of teams CC will put out.

He expects Tokely to play for an hour against United, as he is back in full training.

Campbell should play against County.

Oh yes it is ya old git, you are off the pace.

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Rig, agree with you about Parrat 100% and I should have mentioned it in my earlier post, I felt that Hart was well marked throughout the game but he gets stronger every season and his physical presence alongside Keogh was a dominant factor of the game, Soane was only 15 secs on the park when he scored, is that a record for us? also we only subbed twice whereas they subbed maybe 8 players which is probably an indicator of the difference in match fitness between the two teams. However there was absolutely nothing to take out of this game apart from Soane's confidence booster of a goal and I hope we see something more like Caley Thistle this evening.

Wakey Wakey Rory, we know you have it in you.

Guest Fife Flyer

Vale's 8 subs possibly something to do with different levels of match fitness, but also possibly to allow as many as possible to get a run out against a 'big' team. Things have changed greatly in Inverness since Caley or Thistle played in the same league as Vale, but things have also changed a lot at the Vale as well, (apart from the cold wind).