Mike Smith

papalazaroo

Isn't Papalazaroo a 'travelling' character in 'League of Gentlemen'...

I think this is a Ross County fan on the windup!

Edited by RossP

Isn't Papalazaroo a 'travelling' character in 'League of Gentlemen'...

I think this is a Ross County fan on the windup!

On the contrary, papalazaroo is anything but a County fan! Like myself he used to post on the old board back in the days of Sportnetwork, and I can promise you that he's ICT through and through. However, given his history with Mike Smith, it's a little suprising to see him come out in support of the guy.

Glad he has decided to stay,have found him to be a very dedicated guy,and someone who is respected my many others.Regardless of title/pay think he is a vital part of the club.note the poster.

This poster has seen both sides of Mike Smith and the fact he feels like posting this statement speaks volumes.

How do you take your coffee? :(

Genuine post, and Papalazaroo has actually met Mike Smith, so there is more validity to his post than, uh, mine, having never met him...

Most of the issue is that he keeps himself very much out of the public eye, and as such people aren't able to see what he is doing day-to-day. I think that is where any misconceptions may stem from. Its perhaps a PR thing.

I was impressed to see he had stayed on, after taking a pay cut and a less grand title, so perhaps the OP has a point.

It would be an idea to get an interview either in the programme or from BB?

Genuine post, and Papalazaroo has actually met Mike Smith, so there is more validity to his post than, uh, mine, having never met him...

Most of the issue is that he keeps himself very much out of the public eye, and as such people aren't able to see what he is doing day-to-day. I think that is where any misconceptions may stem from. Its perhaps a PR thing.

I was impressed to see he had stayed on, after taking a pay cut and a less grand title, so perhaps the OP has a point.

It would be an idea to get an interview either in the programme or from BB?

Must agree with this. I happened to meet Mike Smith in a non-football environment and didn't actually know who he was until some way through our discussions. Struck me as a very unassuming guy and I think it may well be the case that, because he is not "the public face" of the club, he is more likely to be misjudged by us than others whose roles are more readily seen (eg. Grasser).

Say what you like about Mr Smith (and I have done on a few occasions), I'm actually fairly happy to see him remain at the club for the forthcoming season. When it comes to keeping an eye on the bottom line, I don't think he can be faulted....and that could be vital in keeping this club from getting carried away on the "straight back up" policy.

Say what you like about Mr Smith (and I have done on a few occasions), I'm actually fairly happy to see him remain at the club for the forthcoming season. When it comes to keeping an eye on the bottom line, I don't think he can be faulted....and that could be vital in keeping this club from getting carried away on the "straight back up" policy.

:ohmy::ohmy:

Nothing more than what I've always said about the guy....great with the figures, struggles with much of the "fan facing/pr" stuff. However, I think that was in part down to a fear of the SPLs ludicrous rules and regulations and the very real chance of getting into bother. Willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt on that side of things to see how it pans out in a more relaxed SFL.

Nothing more than what I've always said about the guy....great with the figures, struggles with much of the "fan facing/pr" stuff. However, I think that was in part down to a fear of the SPLs ludicrous rules and regulations and the very real chance of getting into bother. Willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt on that side of things to see how it pans out in a more relaxed SFL.

How things have changed... I think it was the old website so I can't bring up any links but were you not head of the campaign to have him ousted at one point?? (apologies if not, my memory is terrible at times)

I never headed any "campaign", but I'll admit that on many occasions it wouldn't have upset me very much to see him walking (and I voiced that opinion)....wouldn't upset me now either to be totally honest, but we are where we are and whilst important changes are needed at the club, it's not the people on the floor/frontline that are the cause of the problems that exist.

Guest birdog

I never headed any "campaign", but I'll admit that on many occasions it wouldn't have upset me very much to see him walking (and I voiced that opinion)....wouldn't upset me now either to be totally honest, but we are where we are and whilst important changes are needed at the club, it's not the people on the floor/frontline that are the cause of the problems that exist.

Who is the cause of the problems and why would you say so?

I think you have to be very sure of your facts before you bad-mouth anyone.

From my own point of view unassuming would be a reasonable word to use if it means friendly and approachable and non-arrogant which is the manner in which I was received upon a visit last year to the club.

Very helpful, actually, considering I had not been back in Scotland for upwards of 30 years.In all probability he does his very best to further the interests of the club like many another hard worker.

Has an interesting background and resume and writes a very concise and explicit letter. And one can only assume that he must like inverness.

Think you should give a person the benefit of the doubt or go over and speak to him personally in a frank exchange of views.

S.P. :lol:

Glad he has decided to stay,have found him to be a very dedicated guy,and someone who is respected my many others.Regardless of title/pay think he is a vital part of the club.note the poster.

Coming from you, I find that very interesting. You - possibly more than most - have a good reason/excuse to be blinkered when it comes to MS yet you choose to rise above the events of the past and see that he quite possibly has something to offer the club.

For my own part, I tend to agree and if you search back on my recent posts you will find that I said as much when people were debating the merits of him and Grassa in terms of the announcement about wages/titles. http://community.caleythistleonline.com/in...st&p=195149

I wonder if anyones gonna take the bait? :lol:

genuine post,but sadly on this site thats not allowed nowadays.a point of view is subject to suspicion or ridicule,god forbid a discussion.

You seem to be falling into the trap of confusing the site as a whole with some of its posters. We always try to allow discussion but we cant force people to post in positive terms nor will we delete posts that are negative just because they are negative. Again, read the comments I made on that thread and you will see it gets to me too !!!!

I have known you for years and you know I do respect your opinion as well as all the differing opinions that were present around our table when we went to games together .... I will say to you here, what I have said to you face to face ... If you disagree with something someone says on this site ... dont just say "oh the website is so neggy I wont post" ... instead, say your piece and give it some equilibrium .... I am sure those posters who have opinions similar to you in certain subjects, or who would favour a more balanced approach would welcome the backup and support .... If more people did it, then there would be more chance for a more well rounded discussion !

Anyway - hope you had a good birthday last week ? Did you get the card ? :lol:

Cannot understand how my original post was debarred during a period of moderation as I was actually trying to point out that paplazaroo was a devoted ICT fan and, if the post was not sarcasm laden, that it spoke volumes for Mr Smith.

Believe it or not I have met him and he comes across as an intelligent,articulate and professional individual. I can only also admit that we clash due to our disagreements - and he got the job I applied for !!

I asked for people to leave out the personal stuff and tell me and the rest of the forum exactly what this guy does and what he has achieved for ICT - From my perspective he is an erstwhile management figure but does he liaise with the public ? Does he raise the profile of ICT ?

I know that it was a joke but there was no Job Description or Job Specifiaction for the post.