Naps Competition 2009=2010

Hope everybodies enjoying their summer holidays, especially all those people I beat in last years competition, I wouldnt be enjoying my summer quite as much without you :ohmy:

That was all last year though and we're all going to be back on a level pegging in a months time.

I seem to recall last years comps starting up last minute, so I thought we should get things sorted properly this time as if CanadaBob puts up a prize again then itd be disrespectful to him not take it seriously, certainly from an administration stand point (though you cant help but laugh when Forfar score twice in the last minutes to reverse your nearest rivals bet your way!).

So what are we discussing?

1) Number of runners

2) Dealing with Cup and International weekends

3) Having a consistent source of odds

4) Reef auditing the sums every week? I think this could be a very annoying task next year with an increased number of players.

I think most of the rules that were added or modified last year can be rubber stamped now, so everybody that wants to join in knows where they stand before the big kick off.

Anything else people were pissed off at last year they want changed?

One thing that was a big improvement in last seaosns comp was having prizes for the top 3 spots, rather than just for the winner, maybe we could dilute the prize pool down to 5 places to keep interest up for even more people? If we have 40 runners then 5 places isnt unreasonable... loads of bookies do that with the Grand National every year!

2) Dealing with Cup and International weekends

I believe the contests original format was to use SFL games only. I think we should stick to this. Maybe we should set a 'minimum' number of games before playing the Naps? This 'minimum' figure could also be used in the event of games postponed etc??

3) Having a consistent source of odds

I believe most bookies don't release the odds until the mid-week prior to the weekends fixtures. Will' Hill is usually our main source. One or two folk assisted last year in posting the odds in good time but there are times when I am personally unable to access bookies web sites. In my opinion, anyone can post the odds providing they use the usuall format.

Agreed Gringo, WillHills normally have them up first, we just need to make sure theyre up on the site nice and early so everybody has a fair chance.

As for the weekends with less games, we agreed a min of 6 in the middle of last season and I see no reason why that should change, the weekends where we had loads of call offs were settled as per the usual NR rules.. stake returned.

I dont see why we should rule out betting on ICT games? It's not like the fans took the bookies to the cleaners when we were in the SPL, its still as much of a lottery as before! Though maybe folks will be better informed on the first division games and itll improve the points scoring across the board?

One thing is for sure, there will be times later this year where somebody at the top of the leaderboard will be cheering on ICT to lose :lol:

I would like to see the introduction of a standing team for players (like me) who might not be able to get the bet on every week.

Makes sense to me, I think we discussed that a while back, but didn't get it in gear, we should for this season though.

Other than that, what's the thinking on having a prize for the first 3, or one big {non money} prize for the outright winner. wadderyerfink ?

Let me know what you think...

Edited by Canada Bob

Well bob it was what really killed me in the last year or two because I miss a few weeks through no fault of my own and before i know it, I am so far behind that there is no point in me playing anymore!

I would like to see the introduction of a standing team for players (like me) who might not be able to get the bet on every week.

Makes sense to me, I think we discussed that a while back, but didn't get it in gear, we should for this season though.

Other than that, what's the thinking on having a prize for the first 3, or one big {non money} prize for the outright winner. wadderyerfink ?

Let me know what you think...

Good idea re standing team, it makes a lot of sense really. On the subject of prizes this really isn't important to me. I love playing the Naps and the fun and banter it creates. We all like a prize though and it's something to aim throughout the season - I would be happy with whatever we decide to do. If we do go for a prize then a Gold, Silevr and Broze would be good.

Hi Y'all.

I'm agreeing with the old Gringo here, I love playing this game just for the fun of it but thought that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd added a bit extra oomph to the comp. Lot to be said for going to 4th or 5th as well if we have a load more punters joining like Clacher says, but I'd happily stick with the first three format. Even if I drop out of the running for a place early on I still like to have a go.

Good idea about a standing team. I don't get on as much as before because of more stringent site blocking rules at work so sometimes find it difficult to get on and I missed some Naps and NPL stuff last season.

Don't see any harm in sticking with Div 1 even though we're in it again. When we first started I think I remember Bob saying it helped not having Caley Jags there so yer bet wasn't influenced by yer heart - nae bother, heart comes into supporting yer team not betting against them if it's the best bet of the day - and it helps soften the blow if you get thrashed but pocket a winner :blink:

I can see the point in sticking to just the SFL games but I like taking a dip into the early round cup games when there's no league matches scheduled. Perhaps we could go for this before the big boys from the SPL join in? It also helps to stick an extra dimension into the mix of the competition. But I'd rather give the internationals a miss.

Aye, if one thing from last year was a definite improvement it was the introduction of a top 3, meant everybody was looking over their shoulder towards the end at the top. In the past whoever was chasing would of had no choice but to keep going for longer odds shots, whereas this year all of the top 3 had to think a few times if going for the 'safe' option wasnt a better bet (and they didnt always win either!).

Prize obviously upto Bob, we could all win our own prize money by simply laying the players selections, as we all know you wont be losing over the course of the season! Has anybody attempted to do this yet? All you would need is to have access to the thread after 2pm on a Saturday, not too much to ask, I used to access it from my phone every Saturday afternoon.

I will happily put up some money if people want to clump together to form some sort of syndicate to do that? I can't always get the bets on, but when I am not working I am as good as gold really.

I'd be willing to help with that one, itd be a slow burner over the course of the season but it'd be worth it in the long run.

One thing I will warn though, I never ever bet against ICT or a result that would favor ICT, did it once and hated it. It wouldnt surprise me to see weeks this year where 6 ot 7 people take us to win.. the betting forum syndicate would have to go sit in the away end :blink:

Hi Guys, just got onto this thread and was wondering how you signed up for it? Is there a joining fee and if so how much? If there was this would surely contribute to the prize money and focus attention to lay their bets each week? Would certainly like the oppertunity to take down the Clacher, if he is indeed the top man!

Consider yourself signed up Mike.

Me and CaleyD had the edge last year but with a fresh start there are half a dozen or so who could easily string a winning run together. Most tend to start chasing after about 3 weeks and bomb out.

Think we'll be looking for about 40 players, we've already got over 30 from last year, would like to see those newcomers giving it a full shot over the season as lots of the folks who started last time out slipped away after a couple of months.

Theres no fee to join, the prize money has been very generously put up by Bob this past few seasons to add a bit of bite to proceedings (plus youre more than welcome to put on side bets with other players if you seriously want to try and take me down :lol: hint hint)

So what are we adding here to the rules topic below?

The principle behind this is fairly straight forward. All the matches and bookies odds for SFL Div 1,2 & 3, when at least 6 or more SFL games are scheduled, will are listed in a new thread prior to the game. Each participant then has to choose one result from that to place their virtual bet on. The person that accumulates the most points come the end of the season is the winner.

Who can play?

The competition is open to anyone who wishes to play and to the first 40 players who participate in any of the first 5 matches, after this time the competition will be closed to any new entrants and only those already participating will be allowed to continue. This is to keep administration of the competition as simple as possible for those running it.

Where do I get Points to start my Virtual Betting?

Everyone who participates in the first match will be given 150 points to get them going, these will reduce if you start participating in matches 2, 3, 4 or 5

Match 2 - Start with 140 Points

Match 3 - Start with 130 Points

Match 4 - Start with 120 Points

Match 5 - Start with 110 points

The reduced starting points for each week is to mimic your participation in the previous weeks, but as you were unable to place a winning bet, you lose your ante for those weeks.

How Much Can I Bet Each Match?

The Ante for each match is fixed at 10 points for everyone.

What Happens If I Run Out of Points?

Have you ever tried going into the bookies and asking to place a bet without any money? Same answer here, once your out of points your out of the game :020:

What Happens If I forget to Place a Bet?

If you forget to place a bet then it is treated as if you placed your 10 points and lost and those points are deducted from your total.

What is the Deadline for Placing Bets?

The deadline for each weeks betting is 1 hour prior to kick off for the earliest match. If there are matches Saturday and Sunday then the deadline is 1 hour before the earliest match on the Saturday.

What Happens if I Can't Make it to a PC?

You can have someone else place your bet for you, however the same deadline is still in force and it must be entered on the forum before that time.

Constantly having someone else place your bets without informing the game admin of the reasons why will result in your bets being treated as missed bets and 10 points will be deducted from your total.

Are we adding a running team for this question or not? What if the selected teams match gets called off? Not sure how CaleyD or Joe feel about this but for me it sounds like itll be a nightmare for when we get round to adding up the points. What may well work here is taking the first team in the odds list that is rated as having an EVENS chance as the substitute? Cant say a coin toss aint fair! Especially if we only give people 1 or 2 warnings for not playing the game (or at least warning of an absence), its easy enough to just start taking points of people in our usual friendly manner from there.

What Odds are Used?

The odds as per William Hills Online McBookie.co.uk will be the odds used and will be posted for each match, should McBookie.co.uk William Hill Odds not be available the game admin will select odds from elsewhere at their own discretion.

What Happens if My Game is Called Off/Abandoned?

If you are able to post an alternative bet prior to the deadline this will be accepted, in cases where you are unable to do this you will have your 10 points returned provided bets were placed prior to the call off.

USE OF MULTIPLE USERNAMES TO INCREASE NUMBER OF ENTRIES IS FORBIDDEN

Edited by Scotty

I dnt see the idea behind first 40 people rule, i do though like the idea of the first 5 weeks so maybe

Its only open to people who have made a bet in the first 5 weeks (or if unable to have told the mods before the first 5 weeks are up) ?

thoughts

The reason behind limiting the numbers is that, for the most part, the score keeping etc is a manual process and it has to remain manageable or we start falling behind with keeping the table up to date.

I do have a spreadsheet, but you still have to enter the bets and odds manually and it's still time consuming.

I'm probably going to have to bow out of keeping score this season as well because I'm involved in so many other things as well as doing a more regular job and need to trim back on some of my smaller, time sensitive, commitments.

• 2 weeks later...

just to add to rules that odds will be taken from McBookie.com for all games unless they do not have them posted in time (which I dont think sounds like it will be a problem).