Ref for St Mirren game

Scotty

The only way it could have been worse is if we had Murray or MacDonald appointed.

I will be hated by the new section we are in by the end of the game after abusing Freeland for 90 minutes. I can't wait!  :001:

from whistleblower site

Alan Freeland

Date of Birth:  22 January 1961

Height:  5' 10!

Weight:  12 stones

Profession:  Accountant

First ever match:  Arbroath vs Queen of the South (referee in SFL – 7 Aug 1993)

First international match:  Sporting Lisbon (Portugal) v Kalmar FF (Sweden) in UEFA Cup as Linesman (Oct 1987) or

Romania v Italy in U16 Championships as Referee (March 1997)

Career highlights  Appointment onto FIFA List of International Referees (twice) covering 51 appointments.

Appointments to Cup Finals including UEFA Intertoto (2003), League Cup (1996), Qualifying Cup (1988 and 1998) and 7 other finals involving Highland League teams.

Representing local referees association at all levels through to Presidency.

What does being a football referee mean to you?  Being part of the ‘beautiful’ game and hopefully making a meaningful contribution.

Why did you become a referee?  As a skinny 16 year old, I was getting bundled off the ball too easily and wanted to stay involved in the game.

Would you have wished to become a full-time referee?  At the right age, without obligations, I would probably have taken up the opportunity.

Any pet hates in football?  Players who cheat their fellow professionals and think it is OK – simulation, violence off the ball etc.

What Law of the Game would you change?  Dissent : a caution for dissent brings an automatic 10 or 15 minutes in a sin bin.

The most difficult Law to apply?  Players diving when running at speed.

Your best memory in football?  Too many to mention but;

1. As a 12 year old primary school kid, collecting the Primary Cup at Pittodrie as captain and

2. As a referee, leading a team of 4 Scottish officials into a European tie for the first time, made me very proud

Other sports or hobbies?  Golf and relaxing some where warm.

Your main strength?  Perseverance

And main weaknesses?  I don’t listen very well (especially when Mrs F is talking)

What's in your car CD player?  Bruce Springstein – Best Hits Compilation

Beer or wine?  Wine

Favourite film?  Shrek or Pulp Fiction

Tastiest food?  Mince, tatties and skirlie

Favourite holiday destination?  South of France; the weather, the food, the wine – oh la la

Luck or judgement?  Judgment – I am not lucky!

Dress up or dress down?  Dress up, always………then dress down.

Whom would you most like to meet?  Muhammad Ali

Ambitions?  Officiate at the Scottish Cup Final and to continue refereeing senior football for as long as possible.

Any advice for young referees?  The good times will always out weigh the bad times. Know the Laws of the Game, then trust yourself and be brave.