Anti Virus

ICTBTTH

Been having problems with my computer recently and was just wondering whether anyone knows of any good anti virus programs? i have tried several and "infections" that are showing up on one scanner does not show up on any other ones

Cheers

AVG and Avast are avaliable for free home use as downloads on the net. Avast I find ok, also use spybot.. (also free)

Try scanning the computer in safe mode, tends to help.

Used to be my job, but I'm a bit out of touch these days, sure one off the lads that works in IT will be along later to give you more/better help.

G

Edited by kiltarlity

funnily enough, I got this link in my email the other day for 10 "must-have" security programs.

http://www.pcworld.ca/news/column/8f6e3a78...12da55a/pg1.htm

SpyBot and Ad-Aware are my two spyware programs of choice.

I also have Norton Internet Security installed for now as I had to re-image my PC and the 90 day free trial still works but I will be updating the antivirus to Symantec Endpoint protection (get it free from work as I use my home pc for work sometimes) and the firewall to Comodo when the trial expires.

i use nothing.....

If that is an accurate statement then you are certainly living up to the second sylabble of your username .... MAD !!!

There is no excuse not to have antivirus software, spyware protection and a firewall of some description (either hardware or software) when you can pick up decent versions of all of them for free or commercial programs for a low cost.

Avast has a rough appearance but is surprisingly effective.

I hear AVG is O.K. Both are free.

I use P.C Tools Spyware Doctor to detect malware and find it very effective but have to turn off the programme else it will run in real time and stop your computer as it updates, maybe scans etc. So I just turn it on again when I want to run a scan.

Reports that I have seen online indicate that SpyBot is fine too. And you can try SpyZooka .

"

My experience with Paretologic's "Xoftspy" spyware detector has becomne "iffy" . They claim that it's the fastest thing on the net but it rarely comes up with any spyware at all, with the exception of the odd tracking cookie such as Real cookie. Strangely enough, after my subscription to this programme (have had it for years) terminated this year and I did not renew it they kept sending me reminders about the renewal and when I still ran a scan there was a whole raft of Real Cookies popped up which I think were nothing more than false positives to induce me to continue with their programme. This I do not like since there is far too much of this kind of thing on the net already.

Windows firewall does not, I repeat NOT, stealth your computer. To find out exactly what this means go to www.grc.com to have your computer tested. This is a fascinating site and the guy who runs it , Steve Gibson, is also fascinating. Seems to be a brilliant boffin from a very young age.He recommends only one effective firewall with regard to stealthing all your ports and that is Zone Labs firewall called Zone alarm, the basic free version.

Personally I use F. Secure Internet Security, which is a world wide prominent anti-virus, because it is free with Shaw Cable's Internet and usually costs about $90 (maybe 50 pounds) to purchase. The problem I find which is very irritating is that it frequently runs in real time updating etc and checking every thing that comes into your computer for virues and it uses up virtually all of your computer's resources and you are left wondering why you can't get I.E to flick up your web sites etc. and no other programme will run during it's processing. This usually happens at Start Up and of course that is when you are anxious to get on with it and don't need long delays. You will detect it working if and when you press Ctrl + Alt +Delete to see what processes are using up your resources.

Avoid Trend Micro Anti-virus like the plague.! If you don't you will be sorry! I used it for years and found it effective but it has been developed now to such an extent , including a spyware detector, that when it runs in real time, which is frequently, it takes up every kilobyte of your resources and even stopped my computer dead in it's tracks. It was such a mess that nothing would run at all and by the time the local tech shop got to the root of the problem by a process of group eliminations it had cost me 3 weeks down time and a re-format of the thing at an overall cost of $200. Boy was I mad. So I contacted Trend who admitted the problem but refused to reimburse anything.Said their EULA gives them immunity to any action for defects etc.

I use the paid version of AVG anti-virus, Spybot, Windows Firewall and the SPI firewall built into my new magic router :022:

I think the next time I'm due to renew my AV though I'll be making the switch to Nod32 - an absolutely fantastic AV!

Edited by Jay_7

I use the paid version of AVG anti-virus, Spybot, Windows Firewall and the SPI firewall built into my new magic router :022:

I think the next time I'm due to renew my AV though I'll be making the switch to Nod32 - an absolutely fantastic AV!

whats the benifits to using there paid AV dude? i ask because I find the free stuff for what I do at home to be fine, i log on the the internet and thats about it, i dont down load stuff maybe the odd picture from an email.. I work in IT during the day and its AV and Firewalltastic and find that if i need to do anything im not sure about work does this well lol.

CaleyMad, you are a fool not to have any protection at all, get yourself on AVG and download it, it will take you 10 mins.. And im guessing at a 17 year old you down load the odd pic of film, like Condoms get yourself protected hahaha<< did you see what i did there?

cool Jay ta, Im guessing for my normal day to day surfing and no real downloads then free's fine?

I guess so. You can still get rootkits from websites and downloading files though. If you're worried about rootkits at all, have a look at this.

Using that in conjunction with AVG free will pretty much give you the basic functionality of AVG pro.

P.C.Tools' Spyware Doctor checks for Rootkits and of course so does F.Secure.

Root Kit Revealer is not as simple as it sounds. One can understand the principles behind rootkits but when the great Revealer throws up tons of stuff from the reasonably lengthy scan but fails to advise you what each individual entry means and whether to, and how to, get rid of each then you can be stymied. But go right ahead and try it to experience it.

But you probably will delete stuff that you should not unless you just want the learning experience. Smile! + Wink!

P.C.Tools' Spyware Doctor checks for Rootkits and of course so does F.Secure.

Root Kit Revealer is not as simple as it sounds. One can understand the principles behind rootkits but when the great Revealer throws up tons of stuff from the reasonably lengthy scan but fails to advise you what each individual entry means and whether to, and how to, get rid of each then you can be stymied. But go right ahead and try it to experience it.

But you probably will delete stuff that you should not unless you just want the learning experience. Smile! + Wink!

I use it occasionally, but then I know what to look for. I assumed as Georgios said he worked in IT that he'd know what to look for to. Or at least know to google any results he wasn't sure about.

:lol: In work I'll google anything!! I'll read up on it first then go googletastic, our network is old svr 2003 with 2000 workstation so if we get any problems someones already had it...