You Tell Them Davie Boy!!

Queen Beastie

David Sutherland's statement on the recent comments coming from the Arabs:

In a later statement, Caley Thistle chairman David Sutherland said:"United enquired about our players at the end of last season, made an offer and this was rejected.

"That should have been the end of the matter but what has happened this week is they make a fresh verbal offer and then their manager discloses this to the media saying he will be contacting our club to see what is happening.

"I can tell him what is not happening. Caley Thistle will not be solving any player problems United may have.

"Their chairman made an approach and so did their manager. But it seems that we cannot hold confidential discussions with them.

"We are very disappointed with such conduct.

"If it is meant to unsettle players and put pressure on us to accept, then I can only say that our previous reluctance to sell is now a complete determination.

"For avoidance of all doubt, and to make any future media leaks futile, we will not be doing transfer business with Dundee United in relation to players who are important to our manager's plans. End of story."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dundee Utd's response - http://dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/index.asp?tm=2...342&cd=2006

We are totally bemused by the statement released by ICT Chairman David Sutherland.

It has been fairly common knowledge for some time that these players were of interest to our Manager and, indeed, the subject was discussed with ICT as long ago as last January. In the interests of a good relationship, we agreed to a 'gentleman's agreement' not to make an approach for these players until after the end of the season. Importantly, we upheld this agreement fully.

Since the end of the season our Manager, Craig Brewster, has been in regular dialogue with Graeme Bennett, Director of Football at ICT, regarding the players. Only as recently as this weekend did further face to face discussions take place in a cordial attempt to break the impasse.

Formal written bids for all three players have been made, in accord with the request of Mr Bennett and only yesterday Mr Bennett informed us that despite a reluctance to sell, "every player has a price." Graeme has proved very adept at these type of negotiations in the past. He has also, as everyone knows, proved very adept at using the media to suit the purposes of ICT and we can't blame him for that. It is however a bit ironic for ICT to now accuse us of the very same thing having done it so often themselves, particularly as we assumed that the players had been kept fully informed of our interest.

In a fresh attempt to resolve the matter, it was decided to submit three separate bids today. We now understand the players have indicated that they wish to listen to what we have to say. The issue of today’s news release from Inverness Caley, however, does not auger well for future dialogue on this subject. Nevertheless, we remain available for discussions at any time.

I was just about to post that but it's taken me an age again to get onto this forum!

However what kinda worries me is the final paragraph...

In a fresh attempt to resolve the matter, it was decided to submit three separate bids today. We now understand the players have indicated that they wish to listen to what we have to say. The issue of today’s news release from Inverness Caley, however, does not auger well for future dialogue on this subject. Nevertheless, we remain available for discussions at any time.

Not good news if true!

Thats all very well BUT

"For avoidance of all doubt, and to make any future media leaks futile, we will not be doing transfer business with Dundee United in relation to players who are important to our manager's plans. End of story."

:finger03: :finger03: :finger03:

Some people on this site fail to realise that Unted are a much bigger club than us,more history,bigger fanbase plus higher wages! I wouldnt blame the players for at least listening to what united have to say.We have lost players in the past- only dods would be a big loss IMO.

We are totally bemused by the statement released by ICT Chairman David Sutherland.

Translation: It was written in English - we do not understand it  :004:

It has been fairly common knowledge for some time that these players were of interest to our Manager and, indeed, the subject was discussed with ICT as long ago as last January.

Translation: We wanted them when we got Brewster but as we had to pay that transfer fee in installments do you really think we could afford to pay a reasonable fee for them !! We had to save up but we still dont have enough in the piggy bank.

Only as recently as this weekend did further face to face discussions take place in a cordial attempt to break the impasse.

A social chat over a few beers after Rosscoe's testimonial perhaps ? methinks this is spin-spin-spin

It is however a bit ironic for ICT to now accuse us of the very same thing having done it so often themselves, particularly as we assumed that the players had been kept fully informed of our interest.

Funny that Motherwell complained about the way DUFC conducted their business through the media just this week and that both Falkirk and ICT had cause to complain about the same thing when McCall and Paterson were both touted IN THE PAPERS for the hotseat at Tannadump.

The issue of today’s news release from Inverness Caley, however, does not auger well for future dialogue on this subject. Nevertheless, we remain available for discussions at any time.

We know we annoyed Big Bad David but can we still be friends  :019:

I agree with Charlie Christie that United is not a step up for these players. Bigger club my erse  :001:

And surely United would have to agree terms with the club first before being allowed to talk to the players? I hope their price has just gone up at least 100%  :001:!

Only as recently as this weekend did further face to face discussions take place in a cordial attempt to break the impasse.

A social chat over a few beers after Rosscoe's testimonial perhaps ? methinks this is spin-spin-spin

Agree Scotty, Brew's nearly as much a regular in the Heathmount as Grazza is.

Guest Franklin

Evening,

I know I'll be shot down for this and take it or leave it as you like, but, rumours from within the ICT players is that following Utds latest approach both Dodds and Black have asked to leave if reasonable and realistic offers are made from Utd. Proctor has also indicated he'd like to move on as he doesn't feel regarded as a 1st team member.

As Ive said, its just a rumour - take it or leave it.

Same rumour is doing most of the Utd message boards.

Certainly sounds like Mr Sutherlands a bit ruffled. It will be an interesting test of character, will he take the money or stand firm.

Many of these "rumours" are eminating from Journalists who are attempting to build stories around half truths and lies -  One journalist in particular has been left with a lot of egg on his face, leaving his Editor with a lot of space to fill tomorrow as practically everything he had reported was proven to be bu11shit - No rumour in that, it is fact and I have seen the evidence.

ICT have not always been too forthcoming with news about what is happening at the club, but when they do tell us what is going on it is generally accurate and doesn't come with any "Spin".

DS shoots from the hip and as a fan I don't always agree with him, but I respect him for his honesty and trust him to act in the best interests of ICT.  Can the United fans say the same thing about ET?

We really don't want to hang onto any player who's already decided he wants to move to another club.

Persuade him his future lies with ICT, otherwise sell him for as much as we can.

Then boo him whenever he plays against us!

However, I fully agree with DS's stance against United's murky methods.

Evening,

I know I'll be shot down for this and take it or leave it as you like, but, rumours from within the ICT players is that following Utds latest approach both Dodds and Black have asked to leave if reasonable and realistic offers are made from Utd. Proctor has also indicated he'd like to move on as he doesn't feel regarded as a 1st team member.

As Ive said, its just a rumour - take it or leave it.

Same rumour is doing most of the Utd message boards.

Certainly sounds like Mr Sutherlands a bit ruffled. It will be an interesting test of character, will he take the money or stand firm.

I'm always sceptical of a poster whose first contribution is one that basically says our players want away.

As for rumours doing the Yinited boards might I remind you of the classic 'Ian Blacks bought a house in Dundee, He must be coming to us now!' that was going round not so long ago  :006:

Guest Bonzo

Well said IHE.

It's all wearing a little thin.

I think a highlight of this season will be the

abuse we can all give that tw&t Brewster when

he's back in town with the Arabs

(assuming he's not been sacked before the first meeting)