Post-split aspirations

Here we go at the first attemp at a post so carrying on from the old site:

Mixed emotions this morning - like many my expectations have been raised by the team's form this season. We had 4 games to go to the split and unfortunately we were not good enough. In the four games we played we managed to get 3 points, Well 5 points and the Dons a cracking 10 points. Well done Aberdeen I hope you now go on and prove what is possible and overtake both Killie and Hibs as that is where I was hoping ICT would be.

Hopefully our season won't fall apart now - this is where the real test for CC will begin - the dream of the top 6 finish has gone and now we need to show that we are a team good enough to challenge next season for the top 6 again. It will be interesting how the team responds and performs in the remaining 5 games and how CC and DP will motivate them.

There have been some concerns voiced that the team may be split up in the summer but I think the bigger problem is going to be attracting better players to ICT so that we can move onto the next level. Our squad does not have enough quality in depth - we have done very well this season - I am delighted we will be playing in the SPL next season but we need to show in the remaining 5 games that we can mantain a run - it will be very disappointing if this season dwindles away with a run of defeats against the poorer teams. Come on ICT prove me wrong.

11th March 2006

ICT - 40 PTS

WELL - 39 PTS

DONS - 38 PTS

8th April 2006 FINISHED:

DONS - 48 PTS - P 4 W 3 D 1 L 0

WELL - 44 PTS - P 4 W 1 D 2 L 1

ICT - 43 PTS - P 4 W 1 D 0 L 3

Celtic v ICT - 2-1 RESULT - 40 PTS

Hibs v ICT - 0-2 RESULT - 43 PTS

ICT v Aberdeen - 0-1 RESULT - 43 PTS

Livi v ICT - 2-1 RESULT - 43 PTS

--------------------------------------------------------------

ABERDEEN v Livi - 3-0 RESULT - 41 PTS

ABERDEEN v Motherwell - 2-2 RESULT - 42 PTS

ICT v ABERDEEN - 0-1 RESULT - 45 PTS

ABERDEEN v Hibs - 1-0 RESULT - 48 PTS

--------------------------------------------------------------

MOTHERWELL v Hibs - 2-2 RESULT - 40 PTS

Aberdeen v MOTHERWELL - 2-2 RESULT - 41 PTS

MOTHERWELL v Livi - 2-1 RESULT - 44 PTS

Rangers v MOTHERWELL - 1-0 RESULT - 44 PTS

Yes, I too hope that we can do better in these last 5 games than the terrible anticlimax of last year's end of season. Despite the disappointment of the last couple of games, I still believe there has been progress this year. Only a few poor league results at home (0-3 Falkirk; 0-1 Motherwell and 0-1 Aberdeen) prevented us from a top 6.

What we must all remember is that it was the fans who had the aspirations of a top six finish not the players or management. Their goal was to consolidate membership of the SPL. Top six was always seen as a bonus. However, it is disappointing that, for the second year running, we were so close to it.

What fans must realise, especially those new to SPL football, is that every team in this league is there on merit and when there are close battles near the finish line the teams involved are all fired up. Motherwell, Aberdeen, and even Livi, have more experience of SPL than we have and when they see a chance of achieving a position, or in the case of Livi a chance of survival, they will battle for it in whatever way they can. Remember last season and Rangers coming from way back to clinch the championship. The fire has to be burning bright. Ours is still smouldering just now but given another year or two it will flare up good and proper. Just now we are learning to walk, soon we'll be running.

We didn't lose our chance yesterday, we lost it v Motherwell. Now we will pick ourselves up, enjoy the last five games of the season and relish what we have achieved in such a short space of time. And we will congratulate our Board, Management Team and every last one of our players for getting us where we are and for the pains and pleasures of what is anothewr successful season.