Inverness CT 3-0 Stranraer (FT)

caleyrule

We won this game at a canter. Foran could have scored six goals himself. Second half we could have put about eight past Stranraer but amazingly we failed to add to our tally, bad luck, bad finishing, good goalkeeping, and overelaboration kept the scoreline to a minimum.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked a lot better tonight and played some really nice stuff (Apart from Sanchez). They were a lot more direct and took a lot more shots from outside the box. Though we squandered LOADS of great chances (Is it just me or did Sanchez miss an ABSOLUTE sitter with his header that came off the post???) but to be fair if it weren't for the Stranraer keeper playing a bit of a blinder, we would have won about 6/7 - 0. The lb Shinnie, looks a good prospect as well. All in all a decent performance, some great moves, but I would punt Sanchez for the game on Saturday.

Tactics were spot on tonight. Stranraer wer tired by 10 minutes. Everyone played well apart from eagle and rooney. Do not start eagle against dundee. we have ross and mcbain. Well played hayes. It took you till about the second goal to get into the game but once u were in the game u were great. well played tonight boys and another clean sheet under our belts. B)

Guest birdog

We won this game at a canter. Foran could have scored six goals himself. Second half we could have put about eight past Stranraer but amazingly we failed to add to our tally, bad luck, bad finishing, good goalkeeping, and overelaboration kept the scoreline to a minimum.

When I first read this post I must admit negative thoughts of missed chances etc crossed my mind but I quickly changed my mind to thinking when we are three nil up then it is a good time to "**** about" and try things which should not be attempted during a balanced game. It is the perfect chance for the team to get to know each other in front of goal in a competitive situation. A lot happier now and confident that things will improve, pity I am back to sea for twenty days as of tomorrow, some important matches coming up.

Very very easy win

I think i was the last person in the ground since I thought it was a 7:45 kick off so strolled in when we were 1-0 up

We were clinica with our 2nd and 3rd goals and really took our foot off the gas in the second half and just strolled through. If we needed to take our chances im fairly sure we could have

Perfect preparation for the Dundee match

Is the draw still regional for the Quarters?

Is it not obvious that none of this comp is regional. Stranraer is in south west Inverness north east

The first round was regional, after that its free for all.

The next round is the sunday after the Scotland v Macedonia game so since I will be staying over in Glasgow as usual doubt I'd make it home in time for the game, possibly though depending who it was. Stirling away would be good, could take in the game on the way home!

Edited by Joe DiMaggio

there was 1.5 away fans, I was just chatting with a Stranraer lad who went through last night, He said we tore them to bits!! they only had one chance on goal we had about 15.... there keeper was on form last night by all accounts.... It highlights our lack of finishing IMO

Edited by georgeios

We deffo looked better last night. Why can't we have a ref like that every game?? He was so much better than what we usually get.

I thought Sanchez did ok, he scored one and was unlucky with another couple. Foran should have had 5..

Eagle did ok to my mind. Haynes had a much better game, when he came to us he certainly lacked match fitness perhaps he's starting to get some.

The only player I struggle to give pass marks too is Rooney (to my mind he lacks ball control).

I also think, we are much better attack wise when Rossco plays. He can be very effective running down the wing.

We deffo looked better last night. Why can't we have a ref like that every game?? He was so much better than what we usually get.

I thought Sanchez did ok, he scored one and was unlucky with another couple. Foran should have had 5..

Eagle did ok to my mind. Haynes had a much better game, when he came to us he certainly lacked match fitness perhaps he's starting to get some.

The only player I struggle to give pass marks too is Rooney (to my mind he lacks ball control).

I also think, we are much better attack wise when Rossco plays. He can be very effective running down the wing.

Im not taking anything away from this but we have to remember is was a 3rd Div team..... I'd exspect to have one way traffic, good for team Bonding all the same, I mean we had no goals in the second half, Im hoping this is because TB told them to step back abit and not to burn out for this weekend....

I had us down for a 5-6 goal win before the game, after going 3-0 up Stranraer seemed to get tighter at the back as though they decided 3 was enough.

However we missed a barrowload of chances after that with Foran the main culprit, my man of the match was a toss up between Shinnie(great prospect) and Hayes who looked like is getting fotter and sharper.

Also i a positive note the defence is looking very steady and Granty / Narius are playing with a bit more understanding of each other.

3 goals should have been 7, but happy anyway, beats watching the missus watching corrie.

Is your keyboard broken as well?

As mentioned on the other thread, Rossco was playing and his Samba skills masterclass were a joy to behold. For me, only Johny Hayes was better on the park, sharp and incisive, skinning the defender every time he got the ball. Eagle also played his part although not so eye catching. Foran will know he should have scored a Barrowman. Shinnie was always willing to get forward and should have a bright future. Rooney had three decent attempts, two on target, as did every man and his dog.

All in, a good evenings entertainment, better than watching the TV game which had no relevance for me.

Edited by themann4thejob

I'll admit it's taking time, but this team are improving with every game. I thought our passing game last night was as good as I've seen for years, the defense is starting to gel, and plenty of width on both sides of the park. Only criticism was some unnecessary stray passes in midfield and a lack of confidence in front of goal. Rossco back made a huge difference and although not his greatest fan, Imrie would have enjoyed himself last night. All in all a good day at the office. :mellow:

A lot more positives than negatives to take from last nights game.

Width....for the first time in years we're actually taking advantage of the width of the pitch. Tokely and Shinnie working everything from the back and moving it forward which was stretching them in the midfield and defence and allowing us to get in behind on more than a few occassions.

Final Delivery/Set Pieces....we've started pinging balls into the box with a bit of pace on them instead of floating them in and making it easy for a keeper/defence to handle. Probably caught ourselves out a couple of times, but we'll soon get used to it and even if it only causes teams in the 1st Div half the problems it did Stranraer last night then it'll pay off over the season.

Passing....We were spraying passes all over the place last night and players are starting to understand each other a bit better and beginning to anticipate where balls are coming from and going too. We just have to keep in mind that against stronger opponents we can't pass it in to the net. Even on the slightly longer passes/forward balls Tokely was finding his man...as I said on Twitter, he was in the Bobby Man Zone in that department last night.

Shooting....We had shots coming from every angle last night. Lee Cox even had a pop from about 40 yards that the keeper was at full stretch to save. Was also a bit of a relief to see the designated strikers scoring the goals....although every man on the park, bar Esson, had at least one shot on goal last night.

Playing for each other/Spirit....You could tell their was a real will among the players to cover and support each other last night. Gone is the sniping at each other, instead we were seeing hands up acknowledging a slightly stray pass or missed opportunity. Added to that the fact that Shinnie (who had a great game) was getting a bit of treatment from there #9 for a bit...and he got a bit of treatment from Munro and Tokely in return when the opportunity presented itself later in the game.

One final thing....Ross and Shinnie. These are two fantastic young players we have there and neither of them looked at all out of place in that team last night, and I don't think they'd look out of place against better opposition either. In fact, LDZ and Hastings had better be watching over their shoulder as Shinnie would have done a lot to start moving himself up the pecking order with his display last night. Likewise with Ross, he's had a bit of time on the park already and I can only see Terry becoming more inclined to increase that with what he's been showing.

Man of the Match.....The Stranraer Keeper, but if I had to choose one from us then it would be Foran (edging it as a result of his 2 goals) followed VERY closely by Shinnie and then Tokely. Two defenders in my top 3 is not any indication of us having to defend hard, but these two were the catalyst for just about every move forward we made last night.....and they probably spent more time in the opponents half contributing to play than they did in our half having to defend it.

i think foran should have stayed on longer instead off going off

i think Sanchez should off left the pitch first

well done 2 the stranraer goalie who had an outstanding match ;)

Good performance and should have really scored 6 or 7. Stranraer were a very poor team though. Cox looks a real good find and once again he was immense last night. He is so strong in the tackle but he can play a bit too. His passing is excellent and he really drives the team on.

Not sure about eagle though. Looks too lightweight and doesnt appear to know what he is doing half the time!! Definately get Mcbain back in for him on saturday

Good performance from all.

Sanchez, Hayes and Eagle all showed what they are capable of at their best although they drifted in and out of the game at times. It was pritty clear how much we missed Rosscoe at right back on Saturday with his performance.

Another promising thing was the performances of Shinnie and Ross who both look like very bright prospects for the future.

Should have won at least 5-0 imo.

At the end of the day it was "Job Done" by half time and their was little to prove/gain by knackering players who will be required for more important business on Saturday. It was very much a case of adopting a game plan in the second half that would preserve players, without taking the risk of sitting back and trying to soak up whatever Stranaer might have to throw at us given a chance.

Also have to bare in mind that this was a team who clocked up 4 red cards in the last round, so in the back of the mind is the fact that they could turn nasty (which they did a bit) and it doesn't make sense to have guys going flat out and risking heavy/dirty challenges....and any resulting injury.