Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi

Yngwie

Lockerbie bomber  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the release of the "Lockerbie bomber"?

• Yes, on compassionate grounds
    • Yes, because he might be innocent
    • No

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think it's wrong. He was convicted of the crime he should do the time. Would the ripper get out if was ill? I think not. What's the difference? Both were convicted of killing people. If you take a life you should get life and it should mean it.

I doubt if we'll ever know for sure whether he was guilty or not...

Macaskill's speech was excellent... he even managed to put Hillary Clinton in her place...

I'd like to think Scotland is a compassionate country.

Very pleased too, that he threw out Jack Straw's UK government's request for al-Megrahi to be used as a pawn in a prisoner exchange deal.

I doubt if we'll ever know for sure whether he was guilty or not...

Macaskill's speech was excellent... he even managed to put Hillary Clinton in her place...

I'd like to think Scotland is a compassionate country.

Very pleased too, that he threw out Jack Straw's UK government's request for al-Megrahi to be used as a pawn in a prisoner exchange deal.

100% with you JB!

At long last a parliament within the UK that is prepared to stand up to the USA. Even assuming Megrahi was the guilty party (which I find difficult to accept), I am proud that we as a nation have people in power who are capable of showing compassion. The horse trading approach proposed by the UK government is sickening.

This must have been an very difficulty decision to make but for me, it is clearly the right one. Whatever my own politics, I support Kenny McAskill and thought that his responses to very difficult questions were spot on.

Also, isn't it very interesting top see the clear demarkation in the reaction from the families of the British victims and that of the Americans. People who must have and still do live with huge levels of grief and emotion reaching totally opposing conclusions. Can't say for certain how I would have reacted as thankfully, I have never experienced such. I like to think i would be with the good Doctor and his allies but don't know for certain.

Edited by Sorted

You should also have a BOTH button at the voting section.

1) If the case was again to be heard, with all the legal costs, I feel sure it would be in the ?millions - paid for by the taxpayer.

1a) If he was found to be not proven/innocent the claim for compensation would be ?millions - paid for by the taxpayer.

2) The cost of keeping him secure must be very high. Paid for by the taxpayer.

3) The medical costs must be high - paid for by the taxpayer.

4) By the time any/all the above took place he would be already dead - and sent home - a waste of cash and energy.

Send him home now - spend the money on the NHS/Education - we are all winners.

I have never thought for one moment that he was guilty. To think that he planned and executed the whole thing is an utter joke. They had to convict someone and they made him a scapegoat. The American government were desperate for his appeal not to be heard because too many embarrassing truths would have come out. The USA were leaning on the English government as well and I'm proud of the fact that our lot did not give in. Regardless of the huffing and puffing of the USA I am quite sure that secretly their politicians are heaving a sigh of relief at him being freed on compassionate grounds as that will prevent the whole truth coming out.

It's highly improbable that he was even guilty in the first place so I guess that this is some kind of a compromise. Al-Megrahi was an unfortunate pawn in an international relations exercise/conspiracy*. I saw something about the Maltese shopowner now living in an Australian mansion with the millions the CIA/US government paid him. Hope he's enjoying that.....

I'm pleased that unlike many other governments the Scottish Executive has had the balls to make an unpopular secision despite huge pressure from the US. GIRFUY Hilary...

The sad thing to come out of this now is that the victims families will probably never ever know the full truth due to the amount of cover ups and 'lost' evidence and the likelihood of a public inquiry is slim f**k all.

*insert relevant word here depending on personal opinion.

Edited by Hiro

I don't agree with the whole idea of convicted criminals being released on compassionate grounds. However, if we're willing to let "one of our own" go free on that basis, then it should be an option that is afforded to anyone being held in custody here.

I'm also not convinced that Scottish Parliament would have been so quick to release him had it not been for Westminster attempting to use the guy as some kind of bargaining chip, so there's still a large element of politicking going on there in terms of Scottish Parliament standing up to Westminster to make a point, as opposed to any genuine will to have him set free for the "right" reasons.

All the usual anti-American jealousy coming out on this thread.

But how would we feel if a terrorist who murdered hundreds of Scots was released after a few years by some far-flung mickey mouse government who was only doing it to assert its independence?

If, as seems to be the consensus, that he would be found not guilty at an appeal, then the only thing keeping him in is bureaucracy. But it doesn't seem as though he would live long enough for an appeal. So the question is: do you let an innocent man die in prison due to bureaucracy?

Having closely followed the trial at the time I was surprised when he was convicted and still remain very doubtful about his guilt.

That apart, if he is genuinely in the last few weeks of his life then, guilt or innocence apart, I believe it to be just to release him.

I, for one, am glad that we don't live in a society as blindly vengeful as the USA appears to be.

This is a pretty stupid move in that it will set a bad precident for future cases of this nature. Both Ronnie Biggs and him released within a month on the same grounds. Life should mean life. If you are going by the cost to the taxpayer argument then why not just have no prisons? We have scored an own goal here.

All the usual anti-American jealousy coming out on this thread.

But how would we feel if a terrorist who murdered hundreds of Scots was released after a few years by some far-flung mickey mouse government who was only doing it to assert its independence?

I take your point, but 'jealousy' seems an unfortunate choice of word.

i think this is a great and correct decision by kenny macaskill.

like many i have my doubts on his guilt or at least extent of his guilt but more importantly is a big G.I.R.U.Y to the americans.blair was your poodle,gordon's their, well whatever they want but kenny's no lap dog.

i dont mean that as a slur on their people or the families of the dead but on a government who have been dishing out "freedom and democracy" all over the world of late with their war on "terror" in the name of god they say.

why then do they have so much difficulty in another country showing compassion? maybe they only agree with god on certain issues, but hell, even their bank notes say "in god we trust".

I don't think he was guilty so it was the correct decision , however if he had been guilty I would have been totally against his release, whoever carried out the bombing showed no compassion and if found should have spent their last days rotting in jail.