Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi

Yngwie

Lockerbie bomber  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the release of the "Lockerbie bomber"?

• Yes, on compassionate grounds
    • Yes, because he might be innocent
    • No

, gordon brown the political coward is still silent[/quote

I actually think that Gordon Brown is simply shutting up, keeping his head down and rather enjoying watching the SNP stew on this one. It's called politics and probably makes a nice change for Gordy from having Wee Alec continually picking fights with Westminster for his own political ends. Incredibly naive, though, to believe that Gaddafi wouldn't milk it with a staged political show in Tripoli.

And it's good to see that Rangers have managed to sign up Kenny MacAskill ... at least I take it that this was how they got so spectacularly out of jail against Hearts yesterday?

Edited by Charles Bannerman

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think that Gordon Brown is simply shutting up, keeping his head down and rather enjoying watching the SNP stew on this one. It's called politics and probably makes a nice change for Gordy from having Wee Alec continually picking fights with Westminster for his own political ends. Incredibly naive, though, to believe that Gaddafi wouldn't milk it with a staged political show in Tripoli.

And it's good to see that Rangers have managed to sign up Kenny MacAskill ... at least I take it that this was how they got so spectacularly out of jail against Hearts yesterday?

gordon brown doesn't know how to shut up. we usually get his regular views on important topics such as big brother,x factor , etc and if true to form would have been out basking in englands ashes win. the silence is deafening and its called squirming.

gaddafis show in tripoli though whilst not exactly unexpected have no actual bearing on the decision itself.

Correct me if I am wrong but is this not Scotlands first step into external affairs since 1707?

You seem to have forgotten about Argentina 1978. :lol:

As far as the behaviour of Gordy Brown is concerned, of course he's been spouting away on Jade Goody, Susan Boyle etc and not on Lockerbie but that is just par for the course. He's a politician and what he does is not determined by consistency or logic but by the prime consideration of political advantage. It's a complete foul up, the SNP are squirming so it's to his advantage to shut up. Wee Alec would do just the same.

It's a complete foul up, the SNP are squirming so it's to his advantage to shut up. Wee Alec would do just the same.

Are the SNP squirming?

I'd say their credibilty as the governing party in Scotland has risen dramatically over the past few days.

That much could hardly be said of the opposition parties!

Correct me if I am wrong but is this not Scotlands first step into external affairs since 1707?

You seem to have forgotten about Argentina 1978. :lol:

As far as the behaviour of Gordy Brown is concerned, of course he's been spouting away on Jade Goody, Susan Boyle etc and not on Lockerbie but that is just par for the course. He's a politician and what he does is not determined by consistency or logic but by the prime consideration of political advantage. It's a complete foul up, the SNP are squirming so it's to his advantage to shut up. Wee Alec would do just the same.

Disagree Charles.

Don't think Eck and his crew are squirming at all. The performance by opposition parties in the parliament yesterday was lamentable, in particular Annabelle Goldie's suggestion that he should have been sent to the local hospice/hospital the cringeworthy highlight. Malcolm Chisholm's intervention was very pleasing and reminds us all that ther are still some good traditional Scotitish scoialist values left in New Labour even if they do there best to hide them.

From where I stand, Eck is in the strong position of having done the right thing (principally because they had to), getting the political bashing akin to be savaged by a toothless ewe whilst the real big hitters sit back in scilence because they know they can't/daren't/won't say anything for fear of incrimination.

Brown will be far too busy drinking pints with the greatest cricket team ever to play the game to spend any time worrying about such trivial matters!

I love the stupidity of the, mainly, Labour spokespeople - 'He does not speak for Scotland, I do! Nobody wanted him released!

'But the Radio Scotland phone in had a majority for his release'

'There are many who cannot use phones or emails and they are all against it!'

'I represent ***** area as a councillor and nobody in my area wanted him released!'

'Nobody?'

'Not one person'

I think we have the message spokespeople - we cannot think for ourselves - you have to do it for us!

In an interview from the States it was stated that not one paper, coast to coast in America yesterday. had this on their front page.

We then have Jakie McConnell, telling us how this is the biggest thing in America and EVERYONE is so upset with KM.

'Subo' made more waves in the US than this!!

Firstly, let's not forget that America harboured IRA suspects and refused to extradite them to the UK for trial whilst at the same time funding them.

Secondly, the reason why Brown has not commented is simple. If he comes out in support of this, he angers the Americans, and if he comes out against this decision, he angers the Libyans. Libya is just about to open up all it's gas and oil fields to Europe and we want a big slice of the pie.

All this nonsense in America is ridiculous, boycotting Scottish products and all that nonsense. I would really like to stab some of these people in the face.

I don't get the Argentina Comment . Please explain . I thought that was an English(UK) colonial thing

No, no... not Las Malvinas 1982 but Argentina, World Cup 1978... 3-1 defeat by Peru, 1-1 draw with Iran, ignominious exit tainted by a drugs scandal, and all that after Ally MacLeod proclaimed that "we're going to win the world cup".

Here was an "external" disaster in the best Scottish "here we go here we go here we go... oops sh!t lads, looks like we've bitten off more than we can chew here" traditions of Flodden and Darien.

On the other hand I'm not sure how we could "blame the English" for 1978 as tends to be the case with Flodden where their Second Team (their First Team was away to France that day) simply gave us a good doing and told us to clear off home again. And of course in the case of Darien they were simply nasty, nasty boys solely responsible for sabotaging an otherwise wonderfully thought out enterprise. Darien??? But I thought colonies were only "an English(UK) thing."

Difficult to blame the English for the Megrahi affair, but I suppose Gordy Brown as heid honcho of the Westminster Parliament is the next best thing.

I don't get the Argentina Comment . Please explain . I thought that was an English(UK) colonial thing

No, no... not Las Malvinas 1982 but Argentina, World Cup 1978... 3-1 defeat by Peru, 1-1 draw with Iran, ignominious exit tainted by a drugs scandal, and all that after Ally MacLeod proclaimed that "we're going to win the world cup".

Here was an "external" disaster in the best Scottish "here we go here we go here we go... oops sh!t lads, looks like we've bitten off more than we can chew here" traditions of Flodden and Darien.

On the other hand I'm not sure how we could "blame the English" for 1978 as tends to be the case with Flodden where their Second Team (their First Team was away to France that day) simply gave us a good doing and told us to clear off home again. And of course in the case of Darien they were simply nasty, nasty boys solely responsible for sabotaging an otherwise wonderfully thought out enterprise. Darien??? But I thought colonies were only "an English(UK) thing."

Difficult to blame the English for the Megrahi affair, but I suppose Gordy Brown as heid honcho of the Westminster Parliament is the next best thing.

Charles : You are not making any sense at all here.

Who's blaming, or even attempting to blame the English for the "Megrahi" affair?

Charles : You are not making any sense at all here.

Who's blaming, or even attempting to blame the English for the "Megrahi" affair?

OK... try reading what I've said again, but as you do so, think "irony" and think "satire"?

Hope this helps.

One final clue. I'm completely non political but love winding up the politically minded in general ... and especially those of the Nat persuasion who rise to the bait far better than any of the rest!

One final clue. I'm completely non political but love winding up the politically minded in general ... and especially those of the Nat persuasion who rise to the bait far better than any of the rest!

One of the things I am grateful for is my Inverness heritage with regard to politics.

My first move was to West Lothian where their mining background had left such a politically divided society and this was a real eye opener for me.

I then landed in Edinburgh, very different!

I feel that we in Inverness were lucky in that we had Independents standing in different Wards and therefore we were quite used to our elected councillor 'stealing' issues from other parties, if they were correct to support, a stance I still applaud.

I do however admit to a love affair with the Nats when I was very young but I was not on my own!

We had all come from Neil McLean's, Con, dull address in the Empire to Johnny Bannerman, in the LaScala, on the eve of polling. Now Johnny Bannerman stood under the banner of THE real SNP candidate - that's old SNP - not the new hyped up one, where he entertained us with oratory so colourful that even now I can feel it embrace my senses.

The content was not as important as the 'follow me' battle call. The sound system broke down and he immediately turned it to his advantage - 'That will be the McLean camp trying to silence me but they are not on!!' Off came his kilt jacket, to loud cheers and his presentation was racked up a notch.

How could a young laddie not fall in love with all he stood for?

We had all come from Neil McLean's, Con, dull address in the Empire to Johnny Bannerman, in the LaScala, on the eve of polling. Now Johnny Bannerman stood under the banner of THE real SNP candidate - that's old SNP - not the new hyped up one, where he entertained us with oratory so colourful that even now I can feel it embrace my senses.

Interesting points there. These are days I just remember. Would this have been the 1959 election? But, unless I've misunderstand what you've said, was Johnny Bannerman not a Liberal? I remember my mother met him once. Unless of course you mean that, even though he was a Liberal, he had a lot of genuine Scottish national (small "n") sentiments.

As far as I recollect the first time the SNP fielded a candidate it was a wee wifie called Athole Cameron in 64 or 66 who polled a very small amount.

I'm completely non political but love winding up the politically minded in general ... and especially those of the Nat persuasion who rise to the bait far better than any of the rest!

What you are screams so loudly in my ears that I can't hear what you say.

Interesting points there. These are days I just remember. Would this have been the 1959 election? But, unless I've misunderstand what you've said, was Johnny Bannerman not a Liberal? I remember my mother met him once. Unless of course you mean that, even though he was a Liberal, he had a lot of genuine Scottish national (small "n") sentiments.

As far as I recollect the first time the SNP fielded a candidate it was a wee wifie called Athole Cameron in 64 or 66 who polled a very small amount.

Charles, I feel sure it would have been 1959 and he may well have been under the Liberal banner but my memory is the 'Braveheart' presentation he gave. It was wonderful theatre, the oratory was not, as now, someone else's words spun to suit the listener but straight from the heart.

I remember McLean had invited questions and a wheelchair bound young fellow, a doctors son from Old Edinburgh Road called Jimmy, started to ask a question and due to his condition was a slower speaker. McLean cut him off by stating "We have no time for you" and all Hell broke out from the audience and the meeting finished on a sour note.

Johnny Bannerman was therefore a favourite before he started and as stated, milked us dry!

Charles, I feel sure it would have been 1959 and he may well have been under the Liberal banner but my memory is the 'Braveheart' presentation he gave. It was wonderful theatre, the oratory was not, as now, someone else's words spun to suit the listener but straight from the heart.

I remember McLean had invited questions and a wheelchair bound young fellow, a doctors son from Old Edinburgh Road called Jimmy, started to ask a question and due to his condition was a slower speaker. McLean cut him off by stating "We have no time for you" and all Hell broke out from the audience and the meeting finished on a sour note.

Johnny Bannerman was therefore a favourite before he started and as stated, milked us dry!

But if I remember correctly MacLean still held on, although Russell Johnston won the seat for the Liberals next time round in 1964.

But if I remember correctly MacLean still held on, although Russell Johnston won the seat for the Liberals next time round in 1964.

McLean won only because all the voters were not present at the LaScala or JB would have won by a mile and yes, Russell was there to take over in 1964. The rest is recent history.

Is Johnny part of your family tree or is it just the name being the same?

It would be ironic if my SNP/Braveheart/Liberal hero shared your gene pool!