ICT 1 - 2 St Mirren (FINAL SCORE)

Scotty

Not much to add to what has already been said...but thats never stopped me before  :001:

Brown - Hard to comment on what part he played in the 2 goals as I was at the other end of the park, from where I was though the first one looked like the players had turned to walk away expecting the ball to either be in the back of the net or safely in Browns hands and nobody was alert enough to be in there to clear up the spill.

Caff - Didn't look comfortable at RB and rarely went forward.  All he seemed to want to do was punt the ball up the wing whenever he got it and most of the time it came straight back at us.  He was the one who came out in the Press saying he was going to be fighting for the RB position, but I would have taken a one legged Rossco in his place today.

Munro - Seemed to take his eye off the ball far too often and was constantly opting for the easy ball across the pitch or back to Brown.  He, understandably to a certain extent, seemed very nervous of any plays coming at Golly and in an attempt to cover was getting dragged away from doing his own job in the middle.

Dods - Pretty much ditto from my comments about Munro.

Golly - Unfit, has lost any sharpness he once had and rarely got forward.  Rarely will I go OTT about any players performance, but Golly playing like he did today is more of a liability as other players are having to try and do 2 jobs to cover his a55.  Don't know the real reason why he removed the Captains armband, it was suggested it was too tight, but to me thats a sign of a player looking for excuses.  I would be happier to see the armband given to someone else in all honesty.  I would never wish injury on a player, but the twice Golly went down I was hoping it was enough for him to be subbed.

Rankin - No better than what we have already based on todays performance.  You could see he was uneasy with things, whether that was just SPL nerves or not confortable with his position, only time will tell.  His ball across the goal for Dargo to stick away was as sweet as they come, and with a bit more support I have a feeling he will prove worthy of the transfer fee.

Black - His usual tigerish self in the middle of the park, he was never going to get the chance to shine today with so many poor performances round about him.  His over the shoulder shot was unlucky to have gone straight to the keeper.

Wilson - Was 15 minutes or so in to the game before I realised he was even on the park, but he seemed to come on to some kind of game with a couple of great runs, his final ball was very very poor though.

Duncan - Probably my MotM if I had to choose one today, he seemed to be the only one able to distribute a ball and actually get it to one of our own players, was very surprised to see him being subbed.

Wyness - May have just managed to break sweat, but thats only because he was running around like a headless chicken.  Whatever is wrong with him he needs to give himself a good shake because if he doesn't then he won't be starting too many games.  I would far rather have McAllister starting and see a bit of effort than someone who doesn't seem willing to try.

Dargo - A well taken goal...and thats about it really.  He was never going to have much of a chance to do anything else with the number of high balls that were being played to him and the distribution from the midfield was woeful.  I also hope CC hits you with a fine for the stupid Yellow Card you picked up on 90 minutes.

Keogh - Tried hard, but so much was going wrong round about him he had very little chance to do anything except get stuck in and try and make the best of a bad job.  As with Black, he was very unlucky that his shot went straight to the keeper.

Bayne - 10 minutes on the park is never enough to judge any player on, so, No Comment.

Today was bad, about as bad as I have seen in a long time.  Tactics were wrong, execution was wrong, attitudes were wrong...you name it, it was wrong today.  However, it is the first game of the season and as the saying goes "Things can only get better".  Players still seemed very much in pre-season mode.  St Mirren had a really strong 20 minute spell in the first half, but we brought them under control and it looked like they would not have much to trouble us with, and they didn't in all honesty.  You can talk about "The better team won" and all that nonsense, but the true fact of the matter is that we beat ourselves today.  All credit to St Mirren for getting stuck in and taking advantage, but they didn't look like anything special, and that just makes the loss all the more frustrating.

Players have to take a lesson from today, then put the result behind them and move on - and we, the fans, have to do the same.  If we don't then we will only continue to dig a hole.

Bring on Aberdeen!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sandy Cromarty

My Baws are on fire after your match comments, noticed during the pre-seasons that Golabeck was mouthing,sack the lot!

The criticism of Golly is to be expected but Charlie did him no favors by playing a midfielder who plays an attacking central role on the left wing to support him. I lost count of the number of times that Rankin had left the left hand side to come infield leaving Golly alone of the left flank. This lead to little creativity on that side and thus resulted in these crossfield balls being played.

Gollys distribution was poor but I think people should look at the other cogs in the team and question whether one was turning well enough to allow others to function properly.

Caff is also not a right back. If Tokely was injured stick Proctor or Parratt in there. Not a central defender.

Rankin was out of position. He did well though. But just because he has a left foot does not mean that we have found a Barry Robson style left midfielder.

Not sure if St. Mirren deserved the win but they certainly looked to be a very well organised team capable of finishing well clear of the relegation battle. In fact they play the game just like us. Solid in defence and keep it tight in midfield.

The game was like our 3 - 0 defeat to Falkirk last season. Falkirk played the way we play Away and we couldn't break them down. The same happened today and St. Mirren took their goals well. And their keeper will get an assist for the second!!!  :015:

I'd have to see Falkirk, United and the Pars before making my mind up. Fair play to the Saints after all the gubbings we've handed out to them, but I can't help feeling, when they get round to their end of season video, this will be one of the few highlights.

We were truly shocking though. No width at all. Barry was lost without Rossco to support him (and too often he was having to come back and help out in our box anyway. If we could unearth another 25-year old Barry we'd be lucky indeed). Is Caff just not allowed to cross the halfway line or what? He's fine as a centre half, and maybe I dreamed this but did he used to play in midfield with Hibs? He's not a right back IMHO. If Ross is unfit no wonder Proctor wants a transfer if he can't get a game.

On the other flank we're used to Hasteens working with Royston or Morgan or even Richie Hart. Golly and Rankin hadn't the understanding together to make any impression.

Central defence is one of our strengths but they were operating a free gift system today. At half time I honestly couldn't see St Mirren scoring until they got the first gift at 1-0. After that there was only one team in it.

Middle of the park, any other day Russeldinho and Blackie would have got some support for their efforts. Even Denzil was back helping out most of the time as he got so little service, and Dargo was isolated up front looking for long punts to run on to.

This was truly embarrassing and maybe the St Mirren fans have got a false impression of the SPL standard. BTW did half of them get in at half time for free?

RiG is absolutely spot on about the lack of protection Golly got.  The number of times, particularly in the first half, that Rankin wandered into centre mid, leaving Golly with neither cover nor support was impossible to count!  On the other hand, Golly's failure to complete the most simple of passes, and his poor defending for the first goal, means that his problems were not entirely due to Rankin.

Golly did have support/cover.  It was just unfortunate that Dods/Munro felt he needed it every time the ball went near him and had to drop in behind to cover his a55, which in turn left gaping holes in the middle of the back line.

We cannot afford to have to babysit individual players and thats exactly what was happening, not only was his poor performance dragging him down, it was making other players look bad as they attempted to take up his workload.  Not ideal at the best of times, but even worse when your whole team is having a bad day.

Only opening day game that I've missed in nine years, but doesn't sound like I missed much.

Hopefully this is a one-off, and a wake-up call. Look on the bright side, think of Almondvale two years ago - forget today, and say the season starts next week at Pittodrie (hopefully) :003:

Guest booboo

Hard lines the day Calley!

At least we did you a favour and beat the dirty arabs!

Get it up ye Brewster! :clapping04:

"Charlie blames centre backs for the goal"

St Mirren manager Gus MacPherson paid tribute to Stewart Kean, who he credited with scoring the Buddies' first Bank of Scotland Premier League goal of the season to kickstart their victory over Inverness.

The Paisley side came from behind following Craig Dargo's opener in the 48th minute for Caley, equalising with a strike which fellow forward John Sutton - who netted the winner - is also claiming.

But MacPherson claimed that it was definitely Kean's goal, while thanking both strikers for their tireless efforts during the match.

He said: "I thought that the first goal was a good one because Stewart Kean did well to play it wide to Craig Molloy, and he did everything that he should have in that situation when he hit the ball across the goalkeeper.

"Then it is up to the strikers to follow it in and to his credit Stewart did that.

"Kean and Sutton might not score every week, but as a pair if they work as hard as they did today then that will be a real positive for us.

"Their work rate for the team was superb and I thought they optimised everything about us.

"However, Sutton may feel a little bit silly in getting booked for celebrating a goal which he never actually scored."

MacPherson also praised his players for the way they responded to conceding the opening goal only three minutes into the second half - something he had warned them against doing in his half-time team talk.

He said: "We told the players at half-time not to concede an early goal in the second half, but after doing so we reacted well and showed great character.

"We went from strength to strength in the last half-hour and I am delighted with the win."

Inverness manager Charlie Christie lambasted his central defensive pairing of Grant Munro and Darren Dods for the way they allowed Sutton to score St Mirren's second goal.

The former Millwall striker latched on to a long clearance from goalkeeper Chris Smith which cleared the head of Munro, before Sutton outmuscled Dods to score.

Christie was also aggravated by Kean's opening strike and has demanded his defenders do better in the future.

He said: "We lost a really poor first goal but then the second goal made the first one look like a wonder goal because it was an embarrassment.

"It wouldn't be accepted at youth level at this football club and it was as poor defensively as we have been in a long time.

"To lose such a bad goal in your first game of the season is hugely frustrating and a long clearance down the middle of the pitch should be the easiest type of ball a centre-back has to deal with.

"But it was a bad mistake and we paid dearly for it."

From http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/

We were awful today no doubt about it.Everyone else seems to have worked out where cc went wrong so i won't go into it.Can't believe how poor the crowd was though!Barry and Blackie were our best players.Met 2 buddies who were good company plus the pie was nice so it all ain't bad!

Guest SMTID

Massive thanks to you guys for one of the funnest times i've had at an away game watching the Saints. The hospitality up north is second to none and the fans (that I met) are a credit to your club. The free bus service back into town after the game was a brilliant touch  :clapping04: and the banter with the locals in the pubs was amazing. I hope we can show you guys as much respect when you travel down to visit us. If only the rest of Scottish football was as hospitable as ICT. I look forward to our next trip up to see you.

ps. cheers for the 3 points too  :015:

Guest reynard

Inverness is one of my favourite away days and although we have had very little to crow about up there the ICT p8unters have always been decent folk. It was clear the team were scrapping hard for those three points and we eventually got them. We played ok without being fantastic. No Gus McPherson side is ever going to look pretty. In fact we will be hellish to watch all season as we are basically hammer throwers.

We are very like the ICT team that came out of the first division a few years ago. Not pretty to look at. Tough as **** and one or two football players but the rest are scrappers. And a half decent striker or two helps.

Cheers for the blueprint. Tell Charlie C it still works fine.

Seriously I was expecting nothing out of todays match so to win was great but we Buddies all know its going to be a total slog all season. Anoither thirty points should see us safe :001:

5hit happens eh!

It was bad today but it certainly isn't the end of the world, as said previously there is a lot of pluses to come out of todays game.

Personal performances:

Brown:

Kicking was a bit off but I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone is suggesting that Fraser should start the next game.  Those with short memories were probably the ones asking why he wasn't picked for the Scotland squad last season... fickle

Caff:

Last season I watched him at Parkhead and Easter Road play RB and in both games he could have easily been given motm, so he certainly can play in that position but he did look very shakey today.  Didn't do to much wrong but his distribution wasn't up to what we would usually expect from Rossco.

Dods & Munro:

Didn't look like the brick wall that they usually are, as Caley D said probably due to the amount of covering they were doing for Golly.  Second goal was inexcusable and they seemed to lack concentration at points but I guarantee next week you will see 2 reformed characters.

Golly:

well... where to start

What my real question is, what has Hastings done to deserved being dropped? Hastings has had his critics but for me he has always been relatively solid at the back and he was also starting to show more confidence coming forward toward the end of last season.  For me CC's first big mistake of the new season, hopefully this will be rectified next game.  What was he doing for that first goal.... hang your head in shame!!

Rankin:

I can see what RIG is saying about drifting infield but I think he can definitely do a job for us out wide or in the centerer.  I think he is going to be a big player for us this season.  His first touch is excellent, he looks calm in possession and his final ball is killer.  I like how he is now taking corners for us aswell  shows he doesn't lack confidence.

Black:

my MOTM, never lacked any effort and for a small guy he was head and shoulders above every player on the park today.  Hope he signs a contract for us because he looks as though he is a real talent... some technique to control his overhead kick and whenever he got the ball at his feet he look so hungry to do something with it.  He didn't deserve to be in the loosing team today.

Duncan:

meeaaah, I don't see how he could be anyones MOTM.  Don't get me wrong he was alright but he gives the ball away at the wrong times and although he didn't do much wrong today, he didn't do an awful lot right either.  average today IMO.

Wilson:

Only started to play in the second half but when he did get going he looked sharp.  One of the better players in the team.

Wyness:

Thought he was alright today, he wasn't getting any service in the first half so in the second he ended up dropping into midfield to pick up the ball.  He wasted a couple of half chances by being too greedy but did put in some effort and never really lost the ball when it was at his feet.  He'll score goals this season I'm sure.

Dargo:

It's hard to slag a player that scored our only goal but that was all he did.  looked a bit jaded, probably from missing the last 2 preseason matches but when we were needing him to chase loose ends upfront he was 2 busy poaching.  At least he's off the mark so hopefully he can carry on his form from last season.

Keogh:

headless chicken, put in the effort but never really got to grips of the game

Bayne:

110 for effort as per usual and caused the defense a lot of hassle but was never going to change the way the game was going.

All in all just a bad day at the office.  CC made some bad decisions with his selection but he did notice it and eventually took Golly off so at least he is seeing what we are.  We looked comfortable at 1-0 up and could have quite easily seen the game out if it wasn't for 2 stupid mistakes.  So not totally disheartened but not very happy.

Guest reynard

ICT will be fine this season. The first game is never a good one to judge a side on and especially coming up against a newly promoted side with a hard on.

The only way it will go horribly wrong is if Christie tries to turn you into a football team.

Freak giantkilling results happen on the opening day. It was yer famed David and Goliath counter and the wee urchin smacked us rite in the middle of our napper with a methadone ampoule.  :003:

At least Midden will now get their share of media attention as i am reliably informed that Craig Brewster has made official bids fer Sutton and Kean.

Guest reynard

But having watched you a few times last season Id say thats pretty much the way you play. You are not a particularly good football side. You are a hard working shower of thugs and hammer throwers like we are.

As for Immortal Bellend...

GIRFUY  :015:

I would say that endeavour is greater than the skill but ICT played some really class football last season but almost entirely away from home. In all honesty yesterdays result was not exactly a shock!! Hope you enjoyed yer trip to the big city and hope ya stay ahead of the Arabs at least.

It could be worse it could be davie gormless posting.  :015: :015:

Well well..............it's all been said already.

One of our worst ever defensive displays and that was the difference between the teams.

motm.................nobody stood out, plenty of contenders for worst of the match, and they were all in our team.

Wyness took a bit of slating pre-season but he was the one player who took the time to look up and try and link the play, him, Black and Duncan.  Dargo took his goal well, and then........erm, well that was all. Rankin a fairly quiet game, good cross for the goal, but did not stand out, but then again did not stand out for the wrong reasons either.  The rest, forget it and come back next week better for it.  Not sure why a couple of players were not in the starting eleven. But if they were all fit and suspension free, Tokely Hastings Morgan Hart and Bayne should be considered for next week, and Broonie better buck up his ideas and command his box, or maybe he will find himself warming the bench.

All in all, a poor display and not one that will have the locals rushing out to snap up season tickets.  The first half was best forgotten, in fact I have forgotten it, did anything happen. Not sure what is happening with Golly, but the sooner it is fixed, the better.  Look on the bright side, we will probably not play worse than this.....or can we :010:

I was a poor performance with the defence often looking like they had only met one another for the first time when they went out for the warm up.

That said, it was only the first game of the season and we're hardly famed for being fast out of the blocks.

I'm confident that we will take something from Pittodrie next week to kick start the season.

Just watched the highlights on Setanta. Rankin did brilliantly fer the first goal and a smashing diving header by Dargo. First goal should have been stopped by Munro, Golabek and Brown. Second goal look like a complete lack of communication between Dods, Munro and Brown. Munro simply was left standing and Sutton, surprisingly, muscled Dods easily off the ball. Schoolboy defending indeed. Get Proctor and hastings in at full back and team up Caff with Dods/Munro.

I can't argue with a lot of what has been said above.  It was clear to see that Charlie didn't get his staring 11 right and he as much as admitted that in post match comments.  However, in the first half we did have most of the play. It was just that the Midden packed their midfield and defence and didn't give us much room.  Indeed I didn't think they looked all that threatening as an attacking force until we scored and they had to come at us.  We also ran out of ideas - high punts to our wee strikeforce and their big defence. Barry hardly got past anyone all day. 

I also agree that all the carry on with Brewster trying to tempt players away has been very unsettling.  The good thing is we still seem to have quite a choice of players who could come in and do a decent job- Tokely, Hastings, Hart, Morgan, McBain, Proctor, McAllister.  And there are still 37 games to go.