Poor performance and tactics

Highlandbadger

Well we were p**h today and got the result we deserved. I have a number of comments and questions.

Everyone around me could see after 15 minutes that St Mirren had not come to play fast attacking attractive football so....

Why must we stick to playing 4-4-2? ...is it in the Caley Thistle constitution?

It escapes me why Stuart Golabek got the left back role today ahead of Richard Hastings or Alan Morgan..he had a nightmare and to me demonstrated that he is struggling to compete at this level...and we were not playing a top class team.

We missed Roscoe getting up and down the right hand side and the width that that gives us on the break...if Caff is to continue playing there he needs to develop this aspect of his game.

Tacticly I think Charlie made some howlers today.

Why do we hit high balls up for 2 strikers whose skills are mainly with the ball at their feet?

Where is our width? When you are trying to break down a team that gets 10 men behind the ball in defence, you need to stretch them....we could not do this. I was delighted to see young Stuart Sloane on the bench and expected him to have a run at their defence in the second half.....why didn't he get a chance?

What were the subs all about today?  Keogh for Duncan? what was the tactic behind that? Russell was no worse than many today and better than some yet he gets taken off for Keogh. I then thought that Keogh would push on behind the 2 strikers and we would change our shape...eh no....he slots into where Ducan was...what was the point in that?

Then we come to Bayne for Golabek !!  Half right, Golabek should have been taken off earlier, but with 10 minutes to go, we finally decide to go 3-4-3 to chase the game. 3 strikers are fine but the problem was still the same, no width and no one getting the ball to any of them. The 2 players to give you pace and width are both left sitting on the bench. I can't understand this. Charlie must have been watching a different game.

Far too much being played through the middle...the big St Midden defenders ate it all up no problem.

Is Black and Rankin going to work in the middle?  Time will tell...not sure yet, though Rankin's challenge & cross for Dargo's goal was excellent.

I don't think Barry Wilson is a 90 minute player now, and we need to use him more appropriately.

We are not running at defenders with the ball and taking them on enough down the flanks...we need a wide player in the starting 11 that is going to do this...now!!

Sorry Charlie but I think you have a lot of thinking to do and it's going to be a long season with performances like today.

:007: :007: :007: :007:

badger, pretty much spot on.

The disappointment for me was we seemed to gift both goals, this from a reliable defence..........mysterious.

Would need to see the goals again, but from the North stand, we wondered if they wered both avoidable.

Not a lot of happy bunnys near me :019:

My only reservations, are that this was the first game and we are historically poor at home in the SPL.

Have to agree with everything Highlandbadger said.

Today just wasn't good enough. These are the sort of games we HAVE to be winning.

We were second to every ball, lacked imagaination and just looked flat

We played 3 players out of position today as well. Caff at right back, Rankin wide left and Golly on the pitch!! Where was Hastings??

Charlie has said that we can expect changes for next weeks game against Aberdeen.

Good, I'd make a few myself.

I'd go....

Fraser

Tokely Munro Dods Hastings

Wilson Black Duncan McBain

Dargo Wyness(only because Bayne's **** and Rory's not much better).

I think some of the players feel that they only have to turn up to get a top six place. After that performance we will have to fight for eleventh.

To punt a high ball to the forwards once or twice is fine but thats all it should have been, you can quickly workout that 5ft 8 has no chance against 6ft plus, apart from knocking the ball across the back four nobody seemed to want the ball and when they did get it, it  was just a hopefull pass to nowhere.

I hope it was just first day jitters, reminds me of the first ever game against Livi. I also hope the supporters don't get the blame I thought the guys in the north stand did as much as they could to get the team going but as they say it takes 2 to tango.

Been there done that.

I think some of the players feel that they only have to turn up to get a top six place. After that performance we will have to fight for eleventh.

I think some of the fans think like that as well.

This is feckin unbelievable stuff after one feckin game.  :015: :015: :015: :015: :015:

I reckon that, on paper, most people would have gone fer that line up and that formation.

I would not be at all surprised if we may go 4-5-1 at Aberdire - with Wilson and Morgan on the flanks, Duncan holding and Black (playmaker) and Rankin (supporting dargo) in the middle.

OTHERWISE

onefootinthegrave_2.jpg

WE ARE FECKIN DOOMED  :015: :015: :015: