Normal Service Resumed

Although hugely disappointed with yesterday's result - apart from last season's 2-0 win at Falkirk if I am not correct we usually have poor starts to seasons. 

Tried to find the data that shows our first day results over the last 10 years but couldn't find it in new format but I am pretty sure down the seasons we have had poor opening games and in some seasons 3 or 4 game runs - I am sure someone can confirm this.

At the end of the day although disappointing it is only one game so hopefully the players will learn from yesterday's game and we will see a much improved performance against Aberdeen.

Still feel at least one new face at the club on the playing side would also help just to improve competition.

First games since we got promoted to Division One:

1999: 0-4 v Dunfermline

2000: 2-0 v Airdrie

2001: 1-1 v Clyde

2002: 0-0 v Alloa

2003: 1-2 v Falkirk

2004: 0-3 v Livingston

2005: 2-0 v Falkirk

2006: 1-2 v St Mirren

With regards to signing a left back we have Hastings and Morgan who can play there as well as Golabek.

Last season we bounced back quite well after a few shockers.  We beat Dundee United 4-2 away after going out the cup to Partick and got a deserved draw at Ipox after being cuffed 3-0 at home by Falkirk.  HOpefully we can do likewise against the dons.

Guest kingkojak

ictchris,  whilst i rate morgan very highy, he isnt a left back!  he's a midfield player and a goal threat - most notably scored a brilliant last goal in that 4-2 against ynited!

Morgan is a left back/left midfielder. I prefer him on the left hand side of midfield with Hastings as our left back as I feel the two work well together. Morgan also has a great cross on him.

Guest kingkojak

pretty sure ive only ever seen him play left mid.  if i have seen him in defence but he obviously didnt stand out! 

Morgan prefers midfield, but will play LB if pushed.

Hastings in my mind is a wee bit better than Golly, but not much, he is pretty good at going forward but weak and gets turned in defence too easily.

Hastings has the most to offer as left back (other than we should be feeding him some raw meat to increase his aggression levels - see Messer Tokely for reference). An improvement in the consistency of his crossing would also be of value as this can be a bit of a mixed bag.

Based on performances from last season and on Saturday Golly must surely come third in line behind Morgan. Morgan whilst also being a good option in left midfield has played left back for all or part of a game on a number of occasions.

Golly has been a good servant and is a useful asset to have around to cover for injuries, etc and assist with the reserve side of things, but at the his performances over the past months have consistently not been of a sufficient standard merit a start.

Changed days when people are actually saying they would prefer to have Hastings in the line-up  :015:

Seriously though, Hastings has really got stuck in and showed what he can do since he returned for his 2nd spell with us, I would have him as first choice at LB every week and can't help but think that Hastings must have been carrying a knock or something when Golly was put in ahead of him.

I have never been RH's biggest fan, but he made that position his own last season and it was a bit of a mystery as to why he wasnt in the lineup on Saturday.

Most fans only have the benefit of seeing the players in match situations and we dont see the build-up to a match or training sessions, so we can only presume that Golly showed up better in training that RH. After all the comments of this past weekend, RH needs to be in the lineup next week if he is fit.