A Terrible Tragedy

Johnboy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have found it difficult to find the words to post on this, possibly due to my own recent loss.

Losing my grandfather through natural causes has been tough, and I can't even begin to imagine what you all must be going through right now having to deal with your feelings towards those responsible and handling the press alongside the grief of losing a loved one.

My thoughts are with you all.

The circumstances of this tragic and so undeserved event are already well documented but I would like to share my thoughts regarding the funeral on Tuesday. I had intended to do it yesterday on my return from Bangkok but for some reason, I was feeling rather unwell. Must have been something I ate.

If anybody wondered how Lydia and Dougie had settled in Bangkok, the huge attendance of over 200 easily answered that. I counted at least 4 guys in kilts and that is no easy task considering the Bangkok heat. There were many different nationalities represented and it was very evident that Lydia and Dougie have made many friends in Thailand.

The Buddhist service and cremation was wonderfully organised by the Thai wife of Dougie's boss (sorry don't know her name). It is hard to sum up the service but words that spring to mind are - beautiful, heartbreaking, emotional, peaceful, respectful and dignified. A Scottish flag was draped over Lydia's coffin and in normal Thai tradition; the monks gave their blessing and said their prayers. Naturally this was in Thai but I think everybody understood the meanings. Near the end of the service, the whole gathering filed up to Lydia's coffin, each with a single white flower, and we said our private good byes.

If the first part of the day was traditional Thai, then the second part was very Scottish.

We retired to Lydia's favourite pub for more than a few hours. There we celebrated Lydia's life, sang all the Scottish songs we could think of, and of course drank copious amounts of alcohol. I also took the opportunity to mingle with many of the company and it is quite clear that Lydia will be sorely missed.

Sensibly, the media were not given the location of the service so there were no disrespectful interruptions. One journalist Andrew Drummond did attend the pub but he is one of the better ones and has written some kind words and if you Google 'Andrew Drummond Bangkok' you will be able to read his stuff. Not to be confused with the other journalist mentioned earlier in this thread who not only got his facts wrong but also distributed the pictures to the newspapers which caused so much upset not just to the family but to all that knew Lydia. Anyway, back to the important people.

Lydia would have approved of her Thai send-off and the courage, dignity and integrity of Dougie, Roger, Patricia, Eddy and family has shone out like a beacon and has been admired and commented on by so many here in Thailand.

On Dougie's return, he is organising a memorial service in Inverness and I am sure Lydia and family will get the turn out they so richly deserve.

RIP dear Lydia.

Been away from the site for a few days, I have to say what a sad event for us on the forum to be involved with, I would like to send my sincere condolences to the Riach family and freinds at this time of your sad loss.

Darrin Mcquaid

Heard this terrble news at the time while on holiday and would just like to confirm what I said at the time to you Roger - me and my family's thoughts are with you, your dad and Tricia. We are always here and if we can do anything to help, you only have to ask. Our thoughts are with you all at this difficult time.

Simon, Luisa and families.

I can only reiterate what others have said. Words are such impotent tools at a time like this. To think that on the day I last spoke to you Roger we were all "mourning" the loss of a football match as if it actually mattered.

First time I have been on to the website since this happened.

Reading the families posts along with Kens about service is heartbreaking. As others have said the family have carried themselves with a huge amount of dignity at this awful time.

Our thoughts are with you all

Steve