Hastings Gone & Golly Back

CaleyD

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps not that strange a decision. Picture this as a possible scenario:-

Hastings, clearly unhappy at being on the fringes of the first team (perhaps with some justification), facilitates a move to Hamilton which only comes to light today (Hastings wasn't even at the game on Saturday, so this deal was probably done last week!). Butcher, in the aftermath of LDZ's poor performance on Saturday needs to ensure there are alternative options and Golly then signs.

Doesn't seem too strange a decision if the above were true.

Nothwithstanding this, it may appear that Golly is a panic signing but the proof of that particular pudding will only be in the eating! Until such time as Golly pulls on a Caley top and crosses the white line I'll reserve judgement and give my full support (as a supporter) to him. Whilst on the pitch he'll also have my full backing and I'll reserve any criticism until it is actually merited - and not before (unlike some who are prejudging on here). He was a great servant to the club and, whilst perhaps there may be some debate as to his credentials in the SPL, I'm certain he has the ability to perform admirably in the first division.

I accept he hasn't played much in the last season (primarily as a result of his son's illness) but let's give the guy a chance FFS! He's not even stepped onto the training pitch for us yet and some "fans" are berating him!

I wonder if that the reason Golly signed was yes to provide cover for lionel but we all know golly was a good defender so unless by signing him Butcher hopes lionel will learn from him and calm him down and also Golly could help Shinnie progress

I'm speechless - that's why I'm having to write this down.

Can't blame Hastings for wanting to leave given that TB seems to prefer LDZ's bungling performances to his honest efforts. But exchanging one defender wanted by a premier division side for one not wantd by another first division side does not inspire me with confidence.

Perhaps not that strange a decision. Picture this as a possible scenario:-

Hastings, clearly unhappy at being on the fringes of the first team (perhaps with some justification), facilitates a move to Hamilton which only comes to light today (Hastings wasn't even at the game on Saturday, so this deal was probably done last week!). Butcher, in the aftermath of LDZ's poor performance on Saturday needs to ensure there are alternative options and Golly then signs.

Doesn't seem too strange a decision if the above were true.

Nothwithstanding this, it may appear that Golly is a panic signing but the proof of that particular pudding will only be in the eating! Until such time as Golly pulls on a Caley top and crosses the white line I'll reserve judgement and give my full support (as a supporter) to him. Whilst on the pitch he'll also have my full backing and I'll reserve any criticism until it is actually merited - and not before (unlike some who are prejudging on here). He was a great servant to the club and, whilst perhaps there may be some debate as to his credentials in the SPL, I'm certain he has the ability to perform admirably in the first division.

I accept he hasn't played much in the last season (primarily as a result of his son's illness) but let's give the guy a chance FFS! He's not even stepped onto the training pitch for us yet and some "fans" are berating him!

Well said. Inevitably he'll be a bit slower, but he brings experience and a certain amount of footblling intelligence. Obviously it's a short term fix, but it suggests that Butcher is maybe less enamoured of LDZ than everyone thinks and realises he needs options at left back. Isn't that that everyone is asking for?

FWIW, I would prefer to see McBain at left back - he was our most reliable player in that position when he got his chance last season. Hastings was very poor at the start of last season, as he was the previous year before regaining a bit of form later on, and it was obvous Butcher saw nothing to make him think he would improve the team if he came back in. If McBain isn't an option for Butcher, then hopefully Golly will bring a bit of short-term stability and Butchr can look more closely at Shinnie and decide whether he can make the step up at some stage. There's certainly no point in predicting doom and gloom before we've even seen Golly start a game this time around.

Didn't see this one coming. :009:

Hastings was dreadful last season and hasn't produced any performances of note in an ICT shirt for quite some time. If we were offered a fee for him then fair enough, we'd be crazy to turn it down IMHO. But Golabeck??? A bit of a 'creative' signing there to say the least. Would we not have been better off giving Richie Byrne a chance?

havent rated hastings for a few years now, poor positionally never looked to play a short ball or support the forward players. squad players jumping up a division isnt a huge shock top six div 1 or bottom six spl? not alot in it. already happened today with curier. am sure the hamilton fans will be having kittens tho!

i think golly has been signed more as a squad player, good experienced pro to have around the club. Would be suprised if he plays 5 games. Presume the young lad will be ahead of him in pecking order.

Would we not have been better off giving Richie Byrne a chance?

Funny, was thinking the exact same thing myself.

Don't want to be too much of an apologist for Butcher - I think he made quite a few mistakes in selection during the relegation run-in - but wasn't part of the problem with Byrne that he was injured for most of the early part of Butcher's time in charge? By the time he was available Butcher had a team that had gone on a decent run, and it's understandable that he wanted to show some faith in most those of players even when the results started to worsen again.

Gutted really liked Hastings one of my favit players. I'll still where his name on my black away top with pride :(

Last i remember of Golly that he was pure sh*t and that was our first season in the SPL. I heard somewhere that Golly wanted to move down near the central belt to be near his family as there was something wrong with one of them?

Gutted for Dale aswel

Golly has been known to score goals.

Aye 4 in 185 apperances for ICT last time!

Golly has been known to score goals.

Aye 4 in 185 apperances for ICT last time!

I am seeing double...

You'd think Hastings had gone to the OF listening to the way some people are talking. He's gone to Hamilton who were DESPERATE to sign a Left Back.....even if we didn't get a fee, we've certainly managed to get one of the higher earning, non-contributing players off the books.

To be honest, I'm more disappointed to see Dale Gillespie leaving the club as I thought he had a lot of potential.

You'd think Hastings had gone to the OF listening to the way some people are talking. He's gone to Hamilton who were DESPERATE to sign a Left Back.....even if we didn't get a fee, we've certainly managed to get one of the higher earning, non-contributing players off the books.

To be honest, I'm more disappointed to see Dale Gillespie leaving the club as I thought he had a lot of potential.

I agree. Hastings has been a good servant over the years, but his best days are behind him. However, exactly the same can be said about Golabek. Really strange decision to bring him back. I don't know much about Gillespie but surely he would have been a better long term bet than Golly.

This sounds very much like a late move by Hamilton for Hastings with Butcher having limited opportunity to find a replacement.

I suspect that Hamilton offered a fee for Hastings which for a player not getting a game (and not necessarily adding something to the team if he was!) is always worth considering.

In Golly we have a player who has played SPL and knows what the 1st Division is about. For those saying Golly is fatter than before, he was considerably slimmer last season than he was in his final year before moving.

In terms of pace, technical ability, tackling, aerial ability and presence LDZ is the better player by far than Hastings. Unfortunately when he has to make a decision or engage his brain it all seems to fall apart!

Shinnie offers a lot in the LB role, however he stills needs to be hardened up and even against Stranraer (where he was a possible MoTM) he was caught out a few times by bigger stronger and more street wise players.

Would we have liked to see a younger player coming in? Clearly yes. Is this the disaster some are making out? I suspect not.

In all the histeria regarding LDZ on Saturday, he was not responsible for the debacle (or indeed missing an easy header to clear in advance of the third goal).