Partick -V- ICT : Matchday Thread

Scotty

Anyone know how Golly played today???

He was awsome by all acounts, even on the radio he was all over the place, but in a good way.. the way you want him to be lol.... Well done golly and welcome back.

Brilliant, absolutely delighted to hear that. Could turn out to be the signing of the season, well done Golly. When is the draw for the semis?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone know how Golly played today???

He was awsome by all acounts, even on the radio he was all over the place, but in a good way.. the way you want him to be lol.... Well done golly and welcome back.

Brilliant, absolutely delighted to hear that. Could turn out to be the signing of the season, well done Golly. When is the draw for the semis?

Early next week , not sure what day

So glad we got through that. Is it just me, or are penalty shoot-outs awful to listen to on the radio!

At half-time the commentators and Richard Gordon were singing the praises of our team, which I thought was very unusual because they don't normally bother with any team north of Stirling.

Next round I would like Annan and then save County for the final!

Considering what happened at Firhill the last time we were there im delighted with this result and souns like we weren't half bad during the actual game.

Well done to all and pleased to read that Golly had a good game.

Not long back. Reading through the thread, it sounds like the radio gave a pretty fair reflection of the game.

We started brightly, passing the ball about well. Hayes' pace, Foran chasing everything up front and Cox's dig in midfield meant we ran the show for about the first half hour. Sanchez took his goal well and I was impressed with his movement in general in the first half, dropping off his man and making space for himself. As you'd expect, Golly looked more a lot more solid defensively than Lionel, and generally used the ball well to pick out intelligent passes and build from the back.

Towards the end of the first half we seemed to lose a bit of momentum, and that continued throughout the second. It was pretty poor fare in general, but Partick definitely had more of the play and Esson made a couple of good saves. Thoght Granty and Golly defended well on the whole, but on two or three occasions Bulivitis got pulled too far forward and got caught either too tight to his man or on the wrong side of his man. If this becomes a habit, it will lead to us losing goals to teams with quicker forwards. I was also a bit frustrated with Rosscoe's tendency to punt the ball out of defence - hasn't anyone told him we're a passing team now? Anyway, I don't remember the exact circumstances leading to the equaliser, but I think everyone had seen it coming for a good 20 minutes.

Extra time was actually a little better for us. Rooney and Barrowman up front still looked a little static, but there were occasional flashes of good movement. There was one particuarly good move involving Foran, Rooney and Barrowman, ending with a Duncan shot - think that might have been towards the end of the second half of normal time, come to think of it - that was very encouraging. Duncan actually did a reasonable job playing wide right in extra time, although his passing, as usual, was a bit hit and miss.

I feared the worst when it went to penalities, given the circumstances of our last trip to Firhill, but Rooney, Barrowman, Rossoce and Granty took their penalities execllently, and Esson made three tremendous saves to put us through - the third, a one handed tip onto the bar, was quite outstanding.

Overall, not a great game of football, but it sounded a lot better than last week's performance, there were periods of enjoyable passing play from us and the team did well to get back into it after losing its way for most of the second half. I also felt the estimate of 100 visiting supporters was a bit conservative - I'd have said 150-200. I was very quiet all over the ground, though - a real sober, Sunday afternoon affair. Looking forward to more rowdy Saturdays over the next two weeks with two more games roughly in my neck of the woods.

a.m., the commentators were very enthusiastic about the contribution of Stratford in the first half. I found this interesting as he's been getting a lot of stick from the home fans. What did you think?

It's interesting... I intended to keep more of an eye on him as I'm aware of the amount of stick he's been getting, but he still didn't make a huge impact on me. He seemed to put in a lot of running, but I don't remember any particular thing he did to affect the game going forward. I wonder if he maybe does for us what Fletcher did for Man U against Arsenal last week by sticking to opponents, making it difficult for them to cretae and breaking up the play with little interceptions and short passes? Cox certainly looked the more dynamic of the two, as he did at Dundee, but perhaps Stratford's work makes that possible.

The one thing I wasn't very impressed with was his use of the dead ball. He took most of our corners and they were pretty ineffective. Will be good to have Imrie back for that reason - he was in the crowd, but still on crutches, so it looks like it might be a while yet before we see him. It was also nice to see Blackie and family in the crowd.

Never saw you the day Mary. :001:

Just a few random thoughts. Golly played like he'd never been away and even lasted the extra time. Granty!!!!

Superb pen from Ross and good anes from Barrowman and Rooney. Terrible tired pen from Richie and a hurried one from Russeldinho. Cheeky wee tap in from Buchanan after we were giving him stick for diving - fair play to him keeping his nerve.

Away support 185. No singing. If we had the good away support we've had the last 2 games the lads would have walked it. Our support matters. Lets give it for the rest of the season.

Don't listen to wee jobbie McCall. It should have been 3-0 at half time. Don't blame the midfield. As long as we give them the ball at their feet we look very good. But all the second half was like the County game. The midfield watching it whooshing over their heads. I reckon the team need a bit of confidence to keep passing it. They only punt it when they're nervous.

I thought we were going to see the game out at a very boring 1-0. Seconds before the goal Esson had a great save from Buchanan. Up till then I had thought they could play all day without creating a chance. After that they had us on the ropes, then the extra time was wide open and the game got more stretched with two sets of tired players.

First half we were far too strong for them and all our experience at the back just mopped up anything they did. I feared wee jobby might make a difference at HT if we didn't kill the game off with another goal and so it proved.

I've revised my opinion since the Dundee game. The BBC said it as well. The players are young and need to gel before we get any consistency. When I got back to the car I heard one guy (?) say he was pleasantly surprised by ICT considering what we've lost.

I think Sanchez and Foran are worth persevering with and last week was a blip. Butcher IS setting the team up to pass the ball and he was giving them pelters in the second half.. They just have to believe they don't need to punt it.

I don't think Rooney can do it for us and should be punted at Xmas. Barrowman was involved in a brilliant move seconds after coming on but sadly that's about it. Desperate to see what Eric can do, and looking forward to Imrie being let loose on some of these defences. Ross and Golly have stiffened the back four and we've come through a tough away fixture which we lost last time despite being two divisions higher.

Good to see Blackie there in our end as well as Imrie.

To everybody calling for Butcher's head: what's the worst that can happen? We're not going down - so the worst is that we don't compete for the title, in which case he can go at season's end.

P.S. We've only once come away from there with a win - in August 98 when Barry gave us a 1-0 victory. The only other time we got a decent result was the 2-2 game in the cup which felt like a defeat anyway.

Edited by The Mantis

Ryan Esson MotM :lol::lol::lol:

Can anyone please tell me why roscoe snapped at Bulvitis today? He made one mistake and then roscoe went away up the field and made a mistake and Bulvitis never went mad at him over it

Edited by WYNESS101

First game of the season for me yesterday, despite arriving late from a family wedding, and missing our goal.

Agree that MotM was Esson. Credit to all 12 pen takers that they were all on target and forced some good saves from the keepers.

Though both sides pretty much cancelled each other out.

Most animated ICT fan of the afternoon was definitely TB. (I had a hangover excuse)

1st away game of season and disappointed the crowd so subdued but enjoyed the crack of the folk roundabout us. Thought the game ok and the penalties were so exciting. Dont know if I would be saying this had we lost. Richie Foran was dead on his feet and very brave to step up. Anyone else think he could do with better service - he works tirelessly for the team. Defensively much tighter Golly seemed to make all the difference and good to see Rossco back. Esson was fab at the pens. Did'nt see Granties had my eyes shut.

Never been to Partick before but very friendly club. Good bar in stadium with kids welcome in screened off area. Funniest bit of afternoon was trying to get out of car park down the street from the stadium. Both entrances were blocked off by police. A couple of Partick fans told us no one was allowed out until the commander gave the order. 25 mins later got out. Ian Black was behind us and all the cars started on their horns with Ian yelling out his window to the bobby. Should have filmed it on my mobile. Thought one guy was going to get lifted for shouting with the police shouting back they wanted to go home too.

Ryan Esson MotM :ohmy: :025: :025:

Can anyone please tell me why roscoe snapped at Bulvitis today? He made one mistake and then roscoe went away up the field and made a mistake and Bulvitis never went mad at him over it

Would'nt like to get on the wrong side of Rossco! Seriously though I'm not sure what happened but nice to see a bit on passion in our play at times unlike last week.

I dont think Esson was MOM to be honest in the first half he came out for balls and then half way went back again and looked very rocky but then made some cracking saves and was obviously great in the penalty shoot-out, My man of the match was Stuart Golabek, looked solid at defending and was always willing to get forward up the flank to help the team out when attacking.

Yeah I speakin to Ian myself at the game. Had some very interesting things to say....

Namely about how suprised at the low standards at Hearts compared to ICT and that he's trying to see if he can get back in January as he really misses the banter.

....Of course Im totally lying. Wasnt even at the game.

Ryan Esson MotM :023: :025: :025:

From what I could make out from his shouting it was to do with Bulvitis's positioning. At that point in the game they had been losing some of the runners and were getting carved open a bit.

The pitch looked very heavy underfoot following all the rain - probably didn't help the quality of the football much.

Had a chuckle at old bloke wandering round with the wee handwritten sign showing the prize draw numbers getting the banter with folk.

On the subject of 'chuckling' - the BBC match commentary was waxing lyrical about the ICT fans having travelled all the way down for the game and that they were all sitting in a 'wedge' behind the goal.....all except for two who were sitting miles from the pack, in their ICT tops.

The reason for this was about to be debated when an onfield incident happened and they never returned to it.

The banished two will know who they were and will now realise that they had all our and the commentary teams, attention for all of a minute or so in a lighthearted manner.

• 2 weeks later...