Dods

caleyboy

When Dods came to ICT he made it clear that he only intended to be here for the 2 years as he has family in Edinburgh and "long term" thats where he wanted to be.  He agreed a 1 year extension last summer as things were going well for him here.  He now wants to make one final move so he can settle and see out the remainder of his playing career.

He does not want to sign a 1 or 2 year extension with us as he is thinking longer term.  If ICT offer him 4 (3 year extension) years then he feels it will be worthwhile moving family up here, if not he will look for a contract with a club near Edinburgh.

His decision not to sign a new contract with us has nothing to do with his commitment to the club, he is simply doing what we should all do and put family first.

ICT were never under any illusion as to what the situation was/is with Dods, it has nothing to do with money or contract terms (other than length) and all is amicable between player and club.  It is not a case of him not wanting to remain at ICT, it's just a lot can happen in a year and he wants/needs to keep his options open.

The club have a choice, they have to weigh up any offers that come in for him against what "value" he will bring to the team over the next year.  I understand the contract offer we have made remains open for him to reconsider at any time.

You didn't need to be a tosserographer to know any of this as most of the information has been in the public domain since he arrived with us.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like all our players, I would rather that they stay and see out their contracts with us with the prospect of them leaving for nothing than sign for Dundee United for whatever sum they can scrape together.

Pinxten would have been a good signing imho.

He's gone back to Belgium and signed for KVSK United who play in the second division.

I'm quite surprised that he's ended up at that level considering Serie A side Livorno were reportedly looking at him last Christmas.

If we're going to let Dods, Proctor and Black go I'd prefer we did it sooner rather than later in order to give us enough time to bring in suitable replacements before the transfer window closes. 

If anyone thinks we can let them go without bringing in quality replacements they're living in cloud cuckoo land.  The failure to bring in fresh faces last winter arguably cost us a top six place.

Let's not get caught out again this time around.

Dods is contracted for the season which has only just started. Unless we receive a very substantial offer he should be held to that contract.

He is experienced and mature enough not to let that affect his performance. Come the end of the season when he is free to go I doubt if Craig Brewster will be manager atTannadice, or anywhere else for that matter, which may or may not be a factor in what Dods does then.

If Dundee United are out of the equation he may well have limited options.

Guest Father Ted

Well said CaleyD

There's nothing sinister about the whole siuation. As you said, it was clear from the start.

Ah the green eyed gods are dishing out the tasseography jealousy again.  :015: :015: :015:

His family situation, at the onset was clear a few only but it was always hoped that he would settle in the North. My "skill" merely revealed to all the fact that he was keen on signing a new contract but that it was a fairly substantial one and many moons back I informed the forum that:

Reply #67 on: May 28, 2006, 07:12:17 PM

DODS Similiarly indebted if not more so. Must have doubts about moving on into a different club and system. Wants/needs the security of a longer term contract to take him closer to his retirement fund.

Seems to me some folk open their mouths and let their tonsils rattle without thinking nor with the full story to hand. Dods is looking to his future. He's 31, has a woman and a flat in Edinburgh. He doesnt like the fact that he's away from her for all but a couple of nights a week. Perhaps her job is such that she can't relocate. He has made the decision not to extend his contract with us but has also made a gentlemans agreement with the club that he will give us his all for the remainder of his contract.

Charlie wants him for the full season and feels that, unless an exceptional offer comes about, Dods is more value to the club for the season than what we would get by letting him go.

Its Darren's perogative to choose where he wants to settle when his playing days are over and as fans it is our duty to support his decision and not lambast him for his choice.

Yeah - I'd have spelt it "heels".

There is also, I think, the option of offloading him in January.

I think Dods has been great for us and will be sorry to see him go. If he wants to see out his contract then hang on to him - make him captain, a role he performed brilliantly last season, and give him the opportunity to put himself in the shop window.

Then at the January transfer window, consider the options and hope to **** a club other than Dundee Utd. make a decent offer for him. Otherwise release him on completion of his contract.

Yeah - I'd have spelt it "heels".

There is also, I think, the option of offloading him in January.

I think Dods has been great for us and will be sorry to see him go. If he wants to see out his contract then hang on to him - make him captain, a role he performed brilliantly last season, and give him the opportunity to put himself in the shop window.

Then at the January transfer window, consider the options and hope to **** a club other than Dundee Utd. make a decent offer for him. Otherwise release him on completion of his contract.

There is no way our captain should be someone who has said he is going at the end of the season. Grant Munro is the obvious choice.

Guest Hilts

I would not let dods go to dundee utd unless the fee was about 150k.

if he doesnt want to play for us id put him in the reserves and play caff.

Dods must surely realise that if he doesnt go he will have to keep his standard of play at a decent level or nobody will come in for him when his contract expires.

I've got no problem with Dods leaving or with his reasons for doing so, good luck to him...

...I just don't want him, or anybody else, to go to the Arabs!!!

No way should we weaken our squad to strengthen theirs - my number one priority this season is to finish one place higher than those *****

I've got no problem with Dods leaving or with his reasons for doing so, good luck to him...

...I just don't want him, or anybody else, to go to the Arabs!!!

No way should we weaken our squad to strengthen theirs - my number one priority this season is to finish one place higher than those *****

Although he has swerved us well I am quite happy to see Caffs, whom I rate, back in the team on a more permanent basis. Defenders, such as Dodds, who can't do 4 keepie uppies make me nervous 

Charlie mentions Dods in the P & J today and he hopes that the fans give him their full support for the remainder of the time he spends at the club.  He has been a solid player for us and doesn't deserve a hard time for wanting to spend a bit more time at 'home'.  I hope he goes to any club other than Utd though.

Might be worth considering cashing in during the January window, but lets wait and see what the situation is then.  We will be in a much better position to make a decision by then.

Meantime he remains the ICT MACHINE, and deserves our support until such times as he moves on.  :clapping04: :clapping04: :clapping04: