Blackberry

tokelyisvictorious

over the last few days i have been mulling over the thought of getting a blackberry.

to anyone with any experience of a blackberry, are they any good? i would be looking for one with 'unlimited' internet access, the reason unlimited is in wee apostrophes is because it is judged by the fair use policy. Is it actually worth getting one or not?

Depends very much on which Blackberry you're looking at and why you're considering one.

If it's primarily for Internet Use then there's better phones out there, IMO. I have an LG Viewty (poor mans iPhone) but there's some others out there now such as the LG Arena, Nokia 5800, G1 & G2 Touch from T-Mobile....all phones on my "consideration" list for my next upgrade.

I'm with T-Mobile and only pay ?5 extra per month for unlimited Internet Access.....also, although I don't think your strictly suppose to do it, I do occasionally use my phone as modem for the laptop without being charged any extra.

I use my phone daily to access the net for checking the forums and flight times (to do with work) and also to read and reply to e.mails and have never fallen foul of the "fair use" policy.

Three Network do an unlimited internet add-on for monthly plans at ?2.50 or ?5.00 on PAYG....I have a Three Dongle, but have never technically used their phone plans....I use a phone plan on the dongle, but that's just so I can work around the ?10/Gb with 30 day expiry they normally charge for Mobile Broadband.

I used to have a Blackberry Pearl 8100 - I thought it was great for the first while of having it but quickly grew to be quite disappointed with it's limited functionality.

I now have an HTC Touch HD and it is easily the best phone I have ever owned. Even better is the undeniable fact that it hoses all over the latest iPhone from a great height. (HTC are the daddies of the smartphone industry).

I used to have a Blackberry Pearl 8100 - I thought it was great for the first while of having it but quickly grew to be quite disappointed with it's limited functionality.

I now have an HTC Touch HD and it is easily the best phone I have ever owned. Even better is the undeniable fact that it hoses all over the latest iPhone from a great height. (HTC are the daddies of the smartphone industry).

Interesting.. Ive been thinking the same question for a while, the Sony ericsson C905 is just pants, Ive had 6 now.......

I've heard bad things about HTC's running WinMo < 6.1 (something to do with the TouchFlo interface) but mine is brilliant. In fact there are only two things I don't like about my phone - the battery life (especially if I use the WiFi) and the lack of a flash on the camera. Other than that my phone is perfect.

I think I know someone who will disagree :lol:

Different kettle of fish - in fact I'm pretty confident he could have had a better phone than mine if he found the right ROM for it. I'm locked down to the Orange ROM on mine - as it works perfectly I'm reluctant to change it.

Edited by Jay_7

Ive always found that standard phones with a bit of extras, and 3G on are set to look for 3G signals and will always try to find one, I switch my Network from GSM/3G to just GSM and get a day or so more, and find that 3G is only really effective when in a 3G area so you dont really lose any benifits from knocking it down, Ive always done that... sorry abit off topic but still handy to know..

I would go for a Nokia N(something) before a Blackberry anydays. One with a qwerty keyboard is good as its not as bad as you think.

I wouldnt advise an Iphone, the speaker isnt good on it for phone calls and sometimes it minimizes call logs etc so ur still connected to a call but you are unaware of it. I think its called a N73 or thereabouts and on the network 3, you can get free internet, unlimited texts and 400 freecalls for ?20-25 a month.

3 up here is not very good, It used O2's equipment for the 2G as 3G isnt really here yet... N96 is a good phone, but to be honest im going to have a look around a see the phones first, IPhones arent really phones, its more the features Apps and kudos folk are after, I love playing with them....

The N97 seems ok for everything apart from making calls.

LOL like an Iphone then, I have a really old phone pre Camara, I take it away with me, great for calls, txt and the battry lasts for 10 days.... I sometime ask why we all bother with the "New" style phone lol...

Nokia 3330, One of the best indestructiable phones around. I dropped mine in water, dropped it out a two storey flat onto concrete, thrown against the wall, left outside in the rain, stood on and nothing happened to it apart from a few surface scratches. Modern Phones will not even survive a drop from 5 foot.

Nokia 3330, One of the best indestructiable phones around. I dropped mine in water, dropped it out a two storey flat onto concrete, thrown against the wall, left outside in the rain, stood on and nothing happened to it apart from a few surface scratches. Modern Phones will not even survive a drop from 5 foot.

Aye we even use our's as a football when no one has a ball, crackin' replacement. They can survive anything.

Oh CaleyMad you are a dropper!! I hope your not stacking shelfs!! LOL

Oh CaleyMad you are a dropper!! I hope your not stacking shelfs!! LOL

No, Date Code Assistant :D

thats it, just ordered the nokia n97. arrives in the shop on wednesday.

if its poor then i'm blaming you lot.

I wouldnt have went for that... if you find one of the faults i know about, ill give you a pat on the back