Good download speed?

SMEE

HND in Admin and IT.. Pretty boring stuff just now :cute01: Sure it'll pick up though.

What specifically in IT do you cover? Since it's an admin course - presumably you'll be doing quite a bit of MS Office work?

Aye been doing a lot of the Office stuff just now, that's easy enough though, been working with it since Primary School.

Covers a whole range of things in IT, its a 2 year course and it's only 3 weeks in just now :lol:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HND in Admin and IT.. Pretty boring stuff just now :cute01: Sure it'll pick up though.

What specifically in IT do you cover? Since it's an admin course - presumably you'll be doing quite a bit of MS Office work?

Aye been doing a lot of the Office stuff just now, that's easy enough though, been working with it since Primary School.

Covers a whole range of things in IT, its a 2 year course and it's only 3 weeks in just now :lol:

I done a Admin course in college last year and basically its sh*t.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Maybe you should take an English course, no?

Glad you enjoyed it.

Maybe you should take an English course, no?

eye dont no whot u meen. Mi spellin iz brilyant.

Lovely area of the city. I used to live in Hill St. and was there for a couple of years when I was student. Made many a trip to the Rosemount chippy. Currently residing down near the beach but moving at the end of next month.

Lovely area of the city. I used to live in Hill St. and was there for a couple of years when I was student. Made many a trip to the Rosemount chippy. Currently residing down near the beach but moving at the end of next month.

You found anywhere yet? My sister is unable to help unfortunately. There's already two other girls living with her for this year.

Last night during peak times while trying to keep up with footy updates (Did i mention we beat Aberdeen last night :angel06: ) speed was dropping as low as 0.2Mb! really frustrating,back to normal today,will have to get aff meh erse and do something about it.Whats the lowest yours drops at peak times Smee?

572486007.png

Thats as good as it gets for me :cute01:

Edited by Heilandee

I was suffering the same low peak time speeds as you are Dee....but i decided to be a pain in the ass to BT and it now my speed sits consistantly, throught the day, at between 3-4 Meg.

At the very least Dee, I would go to your ISP and argue the case that technically, you are paying for a broadband service that isnt being provided. Thats the angle I would go for....coz if nothing else....it may well lead to a sizebale reduction in your broadband bill....just as it did for me. I got double bubble tho....as my speed issues were also rectified to the level they now are and I am paying ?10 less than I should be. On the other hand....im not quite sure what i was doing paying the over inflated price of ?25 per month in the first place!

It seems I was wrong Dee. I just took a speed test and it was only 1.91meg. BUT........I had reported speed issues again to BT last week. They seem to go up and down a lot for some reason. Its a bit annoying tbh. They told me it should be settled by 26th of this month. Apparently, my speed should NOT drop below 2.7Meg, according to BT. So....i can feel another phone call coming on.

Been on the phone to AOL for a moan, boy started by saying i should go online early morning or late at night as it's quiter!!!! Eh feckin know that but dinnae want to get up at the crack of dawn for a decent connection speed.Anyways, he reckons they are updating exchanges and SOON this should not be a problem but didn't know when,(I'm sure i've heard that ane before) he also reckons my router being connected to upstaire extension as opposed to main phone line in could make a big differance,any one know for a fact? JAY_7 perhaps.Dinnae want to go rewiring a'thing and getting wireless card if it's not gonna make much differance.Ah well, now times getting on speeds arite again, annoying right enuff :frustrated01:

he also reckons my router being connected to upstaire extension as opposed to main phone line in could make a big differance,any one know for a fact? JAY_7 perhaps.

Ive had that one too....and i tried it from my main socket. Didnt make an ounce of difference. You should still be angling for a reduction in price, for the service that ISNT being provided!

Been on the phone to AOL for a moan, boy started by saying i should go online early morning or late at night as it's quiter!!!! Eh feckin know that but dinnae want to get up at the crack of dawn for a decent connection speed.Anyways, he reckons they are updating exchanges and SOON this should not be a problem but didn't know when,(I'm sure i've heard that ane before) he also reckons my router being connected to upstaire extension as opposed to main phone line in could make a big differance,any one know for a fact? JAY_7 perhaps.Dinnae want to go rewiring a'thing and getting wireless card if it's not gonna make much differance.Ah well, now times getting on speeds arite again, annoying right enuff :(

First issue....you're with AOHell.

As frustrating as it can be, you're not likely to get much assistance from an ISP unless you can give them speed figures when your modem/router is connected to the Master Box.....they will just continue to insist the problem is the houses internal wiring.

Internal wiring will result in a loss of speed....I know because I managed to increase the speed of my connection considerably by rewiring all the internal telecoms in the house, replacing the standard cable with Cat5e and also by adding a splitter faceplate to the master box instead of using splitters on all telephone points.

If you do decide to rewire then I recommend you get the following ADSL Splitter Faceplate. I did a lot of research into it when I did mine and this was the considered the best option.

http://www.clarity.it/xcart/home.php?cat=262 - You want the 'Modified BT NTE5 Master ADSL Adaptor' (and the longer screws)

All you need to do then is work out how much cable and how many dual outlets you need.....you can run the phone and broadband through a single Cat5e cable, so no need for double runs.

You might still have a crap connection afterwards, but at least you'll know you have the best crap connection available and can confidently tell your ISP the problem is with them.

Snap!! thats what I did CaleyD my house is old... and was only getting between 2-3Mb, And as you said, they insisted they could see the master socket in my house fine, I looked in to it too, if I remember right, somthing about half power with every connection, I did pritty much what you just said CaleyD and ripped out all my old copper (old old house too so it had about 7 coats of gloss) and moved took it from the input to the house/ Replaced the box there, took it as short a route as possible (under the floor) to a Distrabution point from there I had it split in to my living room with a BT box and then up stairs to the main bedroom where I put the home hub. and the result of my good handy work is seen above.

I worked on a camp doing phone lines and the likes and was told when broadband kicked off by a BT switch tech that alot of Internal sockets were old and wrong for Broadband they needed to have the Diagnostic plug under the face plate to have a better connection, It you mainly use your phone line for Broadband then removing the first plate and connecting your line to the diagnostic port will imporve your speeds too as you have removed one more split in the line too..

I enjoyed looking in to this and found it interesting and satifying after seing the results of my work, good luck Smee

Got to agree here. Internal wiring is a big killer of connections. Until you can be certain that there is no way your wiring is killing your speed, you've got no chance of getting anywhere with your ISP. Especially AOL - Easily the single worst ISP in the UK and have been for quite some time now.

Cheers guy's yer rite enuff :lol: . Took router down to main point and set up wireless on lappy, hey presto looooaaaads faster, over 2 meg at peak times unheard of, and surfing is much faster, you tubes run without stuttering and stalling which is all i,m after. I,ll get a wireless card sorted out for the main pc and all should be tickety boo.

573777092.png

Cyber pints all round :fishing: