Good download speed?

SMEE

Your ISP changed aswell as your download speed. Is that me misreading it or did it mean to change?

I noticed that as well,and server changed from Manchester to London,I know carphone warehouse bought over AOL UK so assume it's to do with that but not sure what dictates which one it measures speeds from. Any one know?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you unplugged your router and then plugged it in again downstairs it would have established a new connection, and as you rightly point out, AOL and Carphone Warehouse are now one so it's conceivable that you are now simply plugged in to a CPW assigned block of IP addresses instead of an AOL assigned block.

As for the Manchester/London thing....it won't make any noticeable difference which one you test against.

576887411.png

Oh god :lol: Thats the best connection i get from my o2 dongle, dread to think what its like on the worst :(

Tried it again 2 seconds after posting this and got

576889282.png

There both with no internet activity...

576890445.png

If i keep testing this then my connection will get better :mellow:

Edited by caleymad

I hear UK is 25th in the league table for Broadband speeds. S Korea leads the way, and even the likes of Estonia and Latvia are ahead of us. BT should be forced to invest some of their humungus profits back into actually providing an acceptable service, rather than lining their pockets.

I hear UK is 25th in the league table for Broadband speeds. S Korea leads the way, and even the likes of Estonia and Latvia are ahead of us. BT should be forced to invest some of their humungus profits back into actually providing an acceptable service, rather than lining their pockets.

Yeh i seen the table on BBC earlier on today. Its strange how we are ahead of China....

and japan are near the top...

Ill find the page again then post it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8282839.stm

Edited by caleymad

Don't worry, they plan to introduce a Broadband Tax to allow them to build a government fund for improving services.

What it will amount to is everyone paying 50p a month "tax", this money is then invested in upgrades to the telecoms network. In reality, what it will more likely become is everyone paying a tax to improve networks in all the big cities and by the time they get around to sorting out the places that really need the improvement then the money will have run out and/or new upgrades will be needed and they'll start at the beginning again.....the same as what happened when they first moved from dial-up to broadband over copper.

On top of this, you'll probably also have to pay (from your own pocket) to get the improved connection taken from the road in to your house, and if you don't then you're not going to get the super speeds they are promising.

Its just typical of living in the UK. Everything like rail network, roads network, BROADBAND etc etc is light years behind other less affluent nations. I motion that we strike the Great part of Great Britain from the name, or change it to Not So Great Britain. What ever happened to being pioneers?

:rolleyes::lol: :lol:

Tiscali are the single worst provider I have ever had the mispleasure of dealing with. Even worse than AOL IMO.

Last night (while I was actually browsing this very forum) Tiscali must have cut my account off. My router keeps trying to connect but cannot authenticate with their servers. Their customer support couldn't be less helpful if they tried - "It must be your router sir because I can get a signal right to your modem." - Which I know is bullshit because the modem I use is not the end point - the router is.

With my contract with them running out on the 10th, is it likely that I can just tell them to go f**k themselves and give me my MAC code or am I actually going to have to wait until the 10th?

Edit: After two very angry phone calls it appears I'm reconnected again. Amazing what threatening them with OFCOM does!

Edited by Jay_7

Well...yet again...am just off the phone to BT regarding low internet speeds (1.2Meg). This is becoming a fortnightly event for me and am getting sick of it! There has to be a problem at the exchange. The other day, i ran a speedtest, it was 5Meg.....now....its just over 1meg. But....still have to go through the same sh1t everytime. Surley BT should just recognise there is obviously an issue whcih needs addressed rather than their tempory fixes! :020:

what a sh1t week am having with all things technical. First my laptop problems, then my CD player, then portable hardrive and now this.

BT have just phoned me and said there is an issue with my home hub, so they are going to replace it. Am pretty sure that isnt the problem. I already have a brand new spare hub and phone, so am going to swap it over now and see what the deal is. Am not expecting much.

BT have just phoned me and said there is an issue with my home hub, so they are going to replace it. Am pretty sure that isnt the problem. I already have a brand new spare hub and phone, so am going to swap it over now and see what the deal is. Am not expecting much.

See what happens with a brand new hub. If that doesn't cure your problems, phone them up - ask to speak to a supervisor or manager and tell them that if service doesn't improve, you'll be letting OFCOM know about this. ISP's s**te themselves at the mention of OFCOM.

Well jay......thing is.....they are talking crap. Coz i dug out my Netgear Router, fired it up and the results were the same. I ran a test at BT speedtester site. Av got near 7 meg coming into the house....but my IP profile is not matching anywhere near that speed!

So...the call has been logged etc (yet again). I told the dude to make sure the engineers are aware this is a recurring issue and that am getting sick of it. I ran a test the other day...got 5meg.....now this!

Thing is......even if i left BT, whats the chances the same would happen again with another provider and i wouldnt get any further ahead?

Well jay......thing is.....they are talking crap. Coz i dug out my Netgear Router, fired it up and the results were the same. I ran a test at BT speedtester site. Av got near 7 meg coming into the house....but my IP profile is not matching anywhere near that speed!

So...the call has been logged etc (yet again). I told the dude to make sure the engineers are aware this is a recurring issue and that am getting sick of it. I ran a test the other day...got 5meg.....now this!

Thing is......even if i left BT, whats the chances the same would happen again with another provider and i wouldnt get any further ahead?

Orange have their own equipment in the Culloden exchange so you'd probably see an improvement with them.

Am now back up to 2.8meg, the threshold where BT would beging to anticiapte a problem on my line given my IP profile. So hopefully it is slowly building back up again....coz unless it improves....there will be another call.

Is Orange mobile internet Jay?

• 2 weeks later...

BT are ****. My Grampa was paying for 8 meg broadbad yet he was only getting 0.5 meg! He phoned us and they said that its wrong and the thing must be wrong yet we know it wasnt. They got a guy up to check, and he did something which put it up to 2 meg and they said thats the best they can do. So my grampa said that he refuses to pay for the 8 meg broadband if hes not getting it yet they say he needs too! Wankers

Ordered my 3 dongle and it will arrive on Tuesday. I hopefully get a better connection than i do know (53.6Kbps)

Just tried my mates one and got 3.5g staright away. Also its good as you can see how much data you have used and how long you have left. Wiith o2 you have time remaining and no data usage chart.

Cant wait for it to come, just hope the postal strike doesnt affect it.

Paying for 5GB a month (?15) i think thats enough...

CaleyD (or Jay7), my mate who has the dongle just got a new laptop with windows 7 on it, and when the dongle is connected to the laptop it keeps on freezing... so he downloaded and installed the windows 7 and mac update that pops up and it was alright for a while but then the computer froze again. Mouse couldnt move, speakers jammed on a song and keyboard wasnt working. As i mentioned, its only when he connects the dongle up.

Plus he picks up about 7 wifi account ( 2 which are unlocked) in my room and i cant pick it up through my dongle, (no sick jokes please :D) is that something to do with the range of the wifi reciever on the dongle?

If you dont download u might be ok. i think al download an internet usage meter thing and see what my usage is per month. Two weeks ago, i had to DL the map update for my Sat Nav 3 times, at 3GB a time....but i dont normally download much. Am just curious to see how much browsing i do.

1gb a week is usually enough for me but if i get a better connection then i might be tempted to use more eg webcam, streaming etc...

CaleyD (or Jay7), my mate who has the dongle just got a new laptop with windows 7 on it, and when the dongle is connected to the laptop it keeps on freezing... so he downloaded and installed the windows 7 and mac update that pops up and it was alright for a while but then the computer froze again. Mouse couldnt move, speakers jammed on a song and keyboard wasnt working. As i mentioned, its only when he connects the dongle up.

Plus he picks up about 7 wifi account ( 2 which are unlocked) in my room and i cant pick it up through my dongle, (no sick jokes please :lol:) is that something to do with the range of the wifi reciever on the dongle?

I'd suggest that there's a problem with the driver then - Or he has a faulty dongle. Does it ever happen with the dongle removed?

The wifi thing is because he is picking up more networks through his built in wifi adapter. If you're trying to pick up wifi networks through your 3g dongle, then it's no wonder you can't connect to any of them. Seriously though, if it's a new laptop he has, it'll probably be using 802.11N wifi and your laptop will be using 802.11g.

?

?

I'd suggest that there's a problem with the driver then - Or he has a faulty dongle. Does it ever happen with the dongle removed? ?Nope, just when its connected...

The wifi thing is because he is picking up more networks through his built in wifi adapter. If you're trying to pick up wifi networks through your 3g dongle, then it's no wonder you can't connect to any of them. Seriously though, if it's a new laptop he has, it'll probably be using 802.11N wifi and your laptop will be using 802.11g. ?I have a desktop... doesnt have built in WIFI but the o2 dongle i use doesnt pick any of them up... Just thought it was a range matter

googled something earlier on and found a windows 7 forum... seems to be a common problem.

here

Edited by caleymad

I DL one of them internet usage monitors. I used 1/10th of your monthly allowance in a few hours online today, just surfing the net and watching a few vids on youtube. Think al need to stick with Unltd Broadband

googled something earlier on and found a windows 7 forum... seems to be a common problem.

here

That's a graphics problem you've linked to? :blink:

Your dongle won't pick up wifi networks because it's a 3g dongle - hence it will only pick up 3g signals.

As for your mates dongle problem - tell him to take it into 3, they should have software that's compatible with Windows 7.