Good download speed?

SMEE

Oz.....firstly...if i recall...your in Cradlehall arent ya? Ad say 3.8 Meg is fairly healthy, all things considered. Its above average (apparently)

As far as logging into your router....does your router come with a disc? If its a Netgear for exapmle, chances are you will be able to pop the disc in, and get access from there. Normally, the passwords for these is "admin"

Edited by SMEE

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dig out the disc for it, pop it in and find it from there. Thats if you do have the disc?

As i say tho, i dont think theres much point, i reckon your getting the best speed possible. Its about the same as mine

Cheers mate, it's a shame though you get promised at least 6MB by virgin, pay for up to 8MB and get 3.8MB on a good day and 2.8 on a bad day. But hey such is life. Thanks again.

being honest Oz, unless your downloading a lot...you wont even notice your speed for browsing the net. you could have 50Meg speed, yet for general browsing, you wouldnt notice any difference from a 3 Meg connection.

Even at the speed you and i get, it is still possible to get a movie in about 20 mins and an album in about 1-2 mins. Canna really argue with that!

I agree with waht you say about the service advertised tho....6 Meg should be achievable for us.

That's utterly garbage. I was shocked but then I saw who your ISP allegedly is...

Thing is RiG....I'm on Tiscali, have been for a long time and am pretty happy with the speed and service.

571275408.png

I'm guessing there's more to caleymad's sisters problem than the provider!!!

Caleymad....i would be pulling up the ISP for that speed, coz as far as I am aware....Broadband technically starts ats 512kbps and you are recieving substantially less than that. Your sister or whoever is paying the bill is paying for a service that isnt being provided!

Where about are you? I used to suffer speeds as low as 150-200kbps at peak times until this year, but i had to keep on at my ISP to rectify the problem. I wouldnt be suprised if its a deliberate ploy by the ISP, to save them bandwidth, where they rely on you to discover the issue.

JayZ, tried that and it just keeps coming back asking for password and when I try to close it I have to Ctl-Alt-Del to get shot of it. Never mind I'll just take Smee's word that I'm lucky to get what I do.

Cheers for the help

571569649.png

That was mine.. Says on the Network and Sharing Centre bit that the Wireless Connection Speed is 54.0Mbps.. SO is this result any good for me?

Depends on what kind of service you're paying for. 54MBps to me says you're on 802.11g Wi-Fi and you have quite a good signal from your router. Theoretically, the fastest transfer rate you'd be able to sustain at that connection speed is just less than 200KBps.

Edited by Jay_7

571569649.png

That was mine.. Says on the Network and Sharing Centre bit that the Wireless Connection Speed is 54.0Mbps.. SO is this result any good for me?

Depends on what kind of service you're paying for. 54MBps to me says you're on 802.11g Wi-Fi and you have quite a good signal from your router. Theoretically, the fastest transfer rate you'd be able to sustain at that connection speed is just less than 200KBps.

Yep, signal strength is excellent from the Router with all the bars lit up.

Cheers for that, I should know a lot more about it tbh as im studying IT at the moment. :blink: :blink:

Cheers for that, I should know a lot more about it tbh as im studying IT at the moment. :cute01: :lol:

Really? What are you studying? What's the content like?

Edited by Jay_7

Cheers for that, I should know a lot more about it tbh as im studying IT at the moment. :cute01: :lol:

Really? What are you studying? How do you find the course?

HND in Admin and IT.. Pretty boring stuff just now :lol: Sure it'll pick up though.

571218085.png

My sisters computer... mine will be twice as bad. My sister had broadband, i dont

That is a horrific speed. Why don't you complain about it?

Maybe its cause the Playstation 3 was downloading fifa 10 at the time.

elgin libary test...

571635212.png

Edited by caleymad

Maybe its cause the Playstation 3 was downloading fifa 10 at the time.

elgin libary test...

571635212.png

Well yes, it's important to ensure that there's next to no internet activity going on when you test your connection speed.

Elgin Library will have SDSL since the Upload and Download rates are so close.