Centre Backs

Renegade

Just thinking earlier that ICT have a real lack of centre-halves at the moment. Aside from Munro, Duff (who's now out for the season) and Bulvitis there's really no natural centre-backs at ICT. But here's the thing, if Munro and/or Bulvitis are injured/banned/has a shocker where do ICT go? I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tokely moved back in to the middle with Proctor or Stratford filling in at right back (Cox can play right back as well but hasn't yet for ICT and I reckon his sort of player is desperately needed in the centre of the park). I for one think that would be a bad move as Tokely IMO ain't a centre-half. Proctor was always poor at centre-half and I can't see Lionel doing well there. The same goes for Golabek. So what do ICT do? From what I can see there's no decent centre-half to fill in from the bench should a problem arise and a big centre-half has to be found either now on loan or a free agent, or someone's going to have to be brought in in January, as this seems to be the one position at ICT where there is a real lack of players. The best thing to do I reckon might be to look at accomplished defenders who are in their thirties and winding down their career, to compete for a centre-back slot. Discuss.

I beleve TB's script for bringing in who he has was that they were utility player, I think you will find that to fill your idea of having spares all over would lead to us having to have a massive squad list... You answered your question in your post i beleve anyway, why buy/bring in a player to fill a roll that would i hope be a short term... i think hayes was also billed as a back line player with out field tricks, dare i say it, i beleve Duncan is also a capable fill in for a center back if he was needed......

We are very short right across the back line to be honest. Jack Sutherland may be one who's called to the plate sooner than he expects. Gollie has player as centre haslf in the past and young Shinnie can play the left back position. Another youngster in the background is Kevin Stewart who, if injury or suspension befalls us, may also find himself being called upon.

Fingers crossed our regular back four can hold out.

I would imagine that Tokely, Proctor and Golly, who have all played there before, would all be called upon before any of the youngsters. At some point they will be called upon, its only a matter of time. Definitely a point of potential weakness though.

The Bull did only sign a 6 monther, to reason for this could be TB wanted to watch him 4 a bit longer been as CB himself then decide if he was worth the works, OR!! Bull was looking to user him as a shop window in the hope of getting a better deal/more money from another team.

Liverpool squad 1977

liverpool-squad-1977-1978.jpg

This squad consisted of 17 players and won the European cup, the English league title and reached the final of the FA cup. Although there may be a very small (tiny) difference in the quality of our current team and the 1977 liverpool team it shows that even competing in Europe it is possible to win trophies with a small squad.

Tokely, Proctor, Golly and Zadi (apparently) can all play at centre half if need be... it is shame about Duff because this would have been an excellent season to blood him into the first team. I really wish people would stop picking bones out of the squad we are obviously shorter than last season because we have dropped a division. Butcher has made a point of bringing in players that can cover more than one position which gives him plenty of options.

Thank you Harry, this is the point Ive been trying to make on another thread.. So im not barking mad and not seing what some seems to be.

:(

Edited by Georgeios

Aston Villa won the league in 1981 using just 14 players all season

Back then players could play more than 1 game in a week and not moan about fatigue!

You would think with all the sports science and fitness coaching nowadays that players would be fitter than ever. How often do we hear a manager come out and say a player wasnt match fit? 20 years ago if you didnt have a broken bone or similiar serious injury then you were fit enough to play!

Sure, we are in Div 1 now, but i still think that if we have 5 strikers, then we should perhaps swap one for a CB, seeing as we only have 3, one of which is crocked and the other has but 3 months left. So, point being, that our next signing, whenever that may be, should be a CB, right?

Against Motherwell Bulvitis was at fault for all there goals, i dont rate him i would prefer Duff to come in.

I would much rather have Duff in also and agree that Bulvitis was at fault for all three goals. Unfortunatly Duff is out for a while but hopefully he will be back before January and maybe push Granty and Bulvitus. I hope Butcher will be renewing his contract as i think he is out of contract this summer?? If not i can see another Vigurs situation which comes back and bites us in the arse!!!

Bulvitus was at fault with both the Airdrie goals - I said it after the Pars game - he looks more like a full back who can fill in as a centre half. Perhaps that is the place for Tokely as he does not look like the gungho, energy filled full back of yesteryear - unless he is on a tactical leash.

Bulvitus was at fault with both the Airdrie goals - I said it after the Pars game - he looks more like a full back who can fill in as a centre half. Perhaps that is the place for Tokely as he does not look like the gungho, energy filled full back of yesteryear - unless he is on a tactical leash.

IIRC I put up a link to a Latvian when Bulvitis signed, that said he could play centre-back or left or right back. Don't know how good he is round there though.

Edited by Renegade

ahhh them was the days, when team talks took place in the pub on a friday night, and there was no such thing as a bad tackle.. just a poor lad on the reciving end.. thats another topic to talk about.. but footballers now adays are soft as pooooo

We seem to have a surplus of players up front and able to play on the wings.

Might be an idea to punt someone like Rooney, get a bit of money in, and use it towards getting a strong recognised cnetre half.

Getting someone like young Wilson at Rangers for a few months could be of benefit given there is no reserve league and 1st team games in a physical league would surely be seen to aid his development.